PDA

View Full Version : rear brake drums

Orestudeguy
10-15-2006, 11:12 AM
I was changing wheels on the rear of a recently acquired 64 Wagonaire.
On one side it has what appears to be the factory style finned drum. Which is attached to the hub. On the other side, the brake drum is different, no fins and is loose on the hub.
The drums are eleven inch drums. I haven't checked the parts books yet, but was wondering if replacement drums are still availible? Or, is there a substitute that will interchange.
Oh, the car has front disc brakes, if that makes a difference.

George
65 Commander 2door
64 Wagonaire 3 now!
63 Champ
63 GT Hawk
51 Champion Starlight Coupe

John Kirchhoff
10-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Studebaker made both finned and smooth drums. My Hawk has finned and a '59 Lark has smooth all around. If the drum comes off separate from the hub, I suspect the studs were replaced at one time with ones that have a shorter shoulder. The shorter shoulder wouldn't extend past the hub and therefore wouldn't engage the drum. I found the exact same thing on the afore mentioned Lark.

Roscomacaw
10-15-2006, 05:55 PM
11" drums on the rear would mean that rear (or at least the brakes on it) is from a disc brake equipped car. The disc brake cars are the only ones that wore 11" drums at the rear. And the drums themselves are almost identical to the V8 drum brake cars's front drums. Therefor you could/can use a smooth front drum on a disc brake car's rear axle if need be.
Since those finned drums have been scarce for some time, it would be natural to use whatever was at hand that would fit.:D
Has this wagon got disc brakes at the front George?

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Orestudeguy
10-15-2006, 06:24 PM
In reply, the car does have disc brakes..
The drum in question appears different.. Not only doe it not have the fins that the other side has.. The studs appear to be the same length on both sides.. The drum appears to be from a different make vehicle as the stud holes are a bit larger.. And the width of the drum is narrower than the finned side..
That being said, if I understand previous posts, I can use V/8 Stude front drums on the rear?
thanks for the replies,

George
65 Commander 2door
64 Wagonaire 3 now!
63 Champ
63 GT Hawk
51 Champion Starlight Coupe

Roscomacaw
10-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Yes George, a front drum can be used. Seems John Myers told me that one's cut a bit different where it fits along the outer edge of the backing plate. But this can be tackled right easily of need be. A trial fit would tell right away.:D

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

John Kirchhoff
10-15-2006, 10:29 PM
The smooth Stude drum is narrower than the finned version, or at least it is on my '59 parts Lark. The reason the holes appear larger could be because the replacement studs didn't have enough shoulder, just like the ones on mine. The problem with that is, the drum can be mounted out of round without the shoulders to true it up.