PDA

View Full Version : Trade or no trade??

52-fan
03-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Some of you may remember that several days ago I posed a question about what to do with my M-series pickup. I got lots of good comments and was actually pretty excited about the posibilities especially after going back and rereading Gary Ash's excellent series on restoring his M. Now a new angle has entered this equation and has my head spinning as to which way to go.[:p]
I recently was offered a trade of a good 52 Champion front cap + cash for my M basket case. If I let the M go I could buy my brother's 56 pickup which runs and has a solid body, but needs lots of TLC. The M will take years to put back in shape. I have two questions:
1. Which would you do?
2. If I trade, what should I ask for the M stuff? [?][?]

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas

Avantidon
03-12-2008, 10:43 AM
The ultimate decision is up to you. Things to consider are do you really need the 52 front clip and will it help you finish that project faster if that's what you are doing. Do you really need a 56 E12 P/u to use and drive or wold it just be neat to own it? Also what is your desire/ability to finish the M5 project in a reasonable time frame whatever that is to you. As for the accumulated M5 parts eBay is a great alternative as there is a market for most of them. More M5's were produced than any other Studebaker P/U ever made.

Avantidon
03-12-2008, 10:43 AM
The ultimate decision is up to you. Things to consider are do you really need the 52 front clip and will it help you finish that project faster if that's what you are doing. Do you really need a 56 E12 P/u to use and drive or wold it just be neat to own it? Also what is your desire/ability to finish the M5 project in a reasonable time frame whatever that is to you. As for the accumulated M5 parts eBay is a great alternative as there is a market for most of them. More M5's were produced than any other Studebaker P/U ever made.

52-fan
03-12-2008, 12:02 PM
I don't really need the 52 cap. The sheetmetal on my car is in good shape and unless the chrome on the cap is rechromed, which I doubt, it's probably not as good as what I already have. I also have an nos left front fender and most of the chrome, but no spare hood.
Whatever truck I had I would want to drive it to work and to some of our club meetings. No total restoration or trailer queen.
I mostly am trying to think this thing through and wanted some help to decide. Things were much simpler before this offer came out of the blue.

52-fan
03-12-2008, 12:02 PM
I don't really need the 52 cap. The sheetmetal on my car is in good shape and unless the chrome on the cap is rechromed, which I doubt, it's probably not as good as what I already have. I also have an nos left front fender and most of the chrome, but no spare hood.
Whatever truck I had I would want to drive it to work and to some of our club meetings. No total restoration or trailer queen.
I mostly am trying to think this thing through and wanted some help to decide. Things were much simpler before this offer came out of the blue.

Avantidon
03-12-2008, 12:08 PM
It's these kind of decisions that makes life interesting. From a personal point of view I'd let the M5 go get the 56 E12 (I'm partial to this one as it was my 1st Stude) sel all the excess 52 parts I didn't want and all of the M5 parts. This way I could complete one project and enjoy life as I drive my new/old truck -:)

Avantidon
03-12-2008, 12:08 PM
It's these kind of decisions that makes life interesting. From a personal point of view I'd let the M5 go get the 56 E12 (I'm partial to this one as it was my 1st Stude) sel all the excess 52 parts I didn't want and all of the M5 parts. This way I could complete one project and enjoy life as I drive my new/old truck -:)

52-fan
03-12-2008, 12:18 PM
I don't have a clue what the front cap is worth or what to ask for the M parts. The cab and bed are weathered, but the other stuff has been inside for over thirty years. I don't plan on throwing in the nos stuff that duplicates the usable original pieces.

52-fan
03-12-2008, 12:18 PM
I don't have a clue what the front cap is worth or what to ask for the M parts. The cab and bed are weathered, but the other stuff has been inside for over thirty years. I don't plan on throwing in the nos stuff that duplicates the usable original pieces.

StudeRich
03-12-2008, 12:58 PM
I think it boils down to what YOU like! :)

You may not want to hear what some of us would do! [}:)]

If it were me, and that '62 Daytona is a solid rust-free V-8 car, I would dump all that "old" stuff and make the Daytona nice! And my reasoning? That car will DRIVE 10 times better than either one of the other two![^] But again, you have to "LIKE" it more![:0]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

StudeRich
03-12-2008, 12:58 PM
I think it boils down to what YOU like! :)

You may not want to hear what some of us would do! [}:)]

If it were me, and that '62 Daytona is a solid rust-free V-8 car, I would dump all that "old" stuff and make the Daytona nice! And my reasoning? That car will DRIVE 10 times better than either one of the other two![^] But again, you have to "LIKE" it more![:0]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

52-fan
03-12-2008, 01:47 PM
I hear what you're saying about the Daytona and it's in progress, but I sorta promised it to my soon to be 16 year old daugther if she still wants it when she starts driving. Also I really like old trucks and I only live 3 miles from work. I drove a 6 cylinder, 3 speed, column shift 76 Dodge to work for years. Army green, no p/s, no a/c, no radio, sloppy shift linkage and I liked it. I just sold it Sunday after 14 years.

52-fan
03-12-2008, 01:47 PM
I hear what you're saying about the Daytona and it's in progress, but I sorta promised it to my soon to be 16 year old daugther if she still wants it when she starts driving. Also I really like old trucks and I only live 3 miles from work. I drove a 6 cylinder, 3 speed, column shift 76 Dodge to work for years. Army green, no p/s, no a/c, no radio, sloppy shift linkage and I liked it. I just sold it Sunday after 14 years.

bams50
03-12-2008, 01:54 PM
The foundational question is, do you want an M? Answer that first.

If you don't want an M specifically, then it's simple. If you did want an M, you have to decide how much.

A 56 is neither good or bad, but is definitely different than the M. Decide that aspect and that will go a long way toward your decision.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

bams50
03-12-2008, 01:54 PM
The foundational question is, do you want an M? Answer that first.

If you don't want an M specifically, then it's simple. If you did want an M, you have to decide how much.

A 56 is neither good or bad, but is definitely different than the M. Decide that aspect and that will go a long way toward your decision.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

bams50
03-12-2008, 01:59 PM
My other point: Don't get caught up in monetary worth in this decision. None of the items are worth a ton of money; so whatever you decide won't help or hurt you much financially.

Parish, central NY 13131

bams50
My other point: Don't get caught up in monetary worth in this decision. None of the items are worth a ton of money; so whatever you decide won't help or hurt you much financially.

Parish, central NY 13131

Flashback
Give your daughter the Daytona. Buy your brothers truck. Take a vacation to Alabama. Tow the M-5 and drop it off at my place. Problem solved. Seriously after listening to you, I would sell the M-5, especially if it's going to take years, and buy your brothers truck , which you would obiously enjoy driving the short distance to work, and give your daughter the Daytona,and carry on Studebaker tradition.
This is not too much candy for a dime is it?

Tex in Alabama
53 C coupe

Tex E. Grier

Flashback
Give your daughter the Daytona. Buy your brothers truck. Take a vacation to Alabama. Tow the M-5 and drop it off at my place. Problem solved. Seriously after listening to you, I would sell the M-5, especially if it's going to take years, and buy your brothers truck , which you would obiously enjoy driving the short distance to work, and give your daughter the Daytona,and carry on Studebaker tradition.
This is not too much candy for a dime is it?

Tex in Alabama
53 C coupe

Tex E. Grier

tutone63
03-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Give a 16 year old a Daytona??? Man...I don't know how I feel about that. All I know is I put my dads 68 p*****c in the ditch when I was 16.[B)](of course, I'm a guy) But I have heard of many young ladies killing their first cars.

After that he took it (what was left of it) away and made me buy my own car. [xx(] But it taught me a lesson.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh54/tutone63/63larkside-1.jpg
She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

tutone63
03-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Give a 16 year old a Daytona??? Man...I don't know how I feel about that. All I know is I put my dads 68 p*****c in the ditch when I was 16.[B)](of course, I'm a guy) But I have heard of many young ladies killing their first cars.

After that he took it (what was left of it) away and made me buy my own car. [xx(] But it taught me a lesson.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh54/tutone63/63larkside-1.jpg
She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

52-fan
03-12-2008, 02:22 PM
I can't get hurt too bad on the M since back when I bought it I paid less than the perfect tailgate would bring now. My problem is that I usually sell what I have too cheap and then what I need comes dearly. I just want to get good value for what I have so I can get what I need. I have given away more Studebaker stuff to people I liked than I ever sold.
As far as giving a 16 year old a Daytona. It does concern me some, although this daughter is very careful. My first car was a Stude, but it was a 6 cylinder Lark that was too far gone to worry much about.

52-fan
03-12-2008, 02:22 PM
I can't get hurt too bad on the M since back when I bought it I paid less than the perfect tailgate would bring now. My problem is that I usually sell what I have too cheap and then what I need comes dearly. I just want to get good value for what I have so I can get what I need. I have given away more Studebaker stuff to people I liked than I ever sold.
As far as giving a 16 year old a Daytona. It does concern me some, although this daughter is very careful. My first car was a Stude, but it was a 6 cylinder Lark that was too far gone to worry much about.

Roscomacaw
03-12-2008, 04:41 PM
A local fella did a beautiful (if novice) resto of a 55 President coupe. Kept it all nice 'n pretty in his garage until his grandson was old enough to drive. License in hand, grandkid got his "new" 55 President.[V]
He proceeded to make it look like it had never been fixed up in just a few months!:( Grandad finally rescued the car and gave the kid the Honda he'd rather have had in the first place. It was WAY "cooler".[8]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
03-12-2008, 04:41 PM
A local fella did a beautiful (if novice) resto of a 55 President coupe. Kept it all nice 'n pretty in his garage until his grandson was old enough to drive. License in hand, grandkid got his "new" 55 President.[V]
He proceeded to make it look like it had never been fixed up in just a few months!:( Grandad finally rescued the car and gave the kid the Honda he'd rather have had in the first place. It was WAY "cooler".[8]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

bams50
03-12-2008, 05:41 PM
My son Rob is a great kid, a wonderful young man; but at this point has zero interest in cars. If he develops an interest someday, of course he'll have a Stude!

His cousin Evyn is my car boy; he's 13 now, and when he's old enough to drive I'll make sure he has his own Stude... of course it will be treated with respect, and he'll have some garden-variety modern car that can absorb the requisite new-driver trip through the rapadillies;) Before he can have the Stude he'll have to demonstrate experience, and the willingness and ability to restore and care for old cars... starting with grunt-work on mine- remember Karate Kid?;)

Parish, central NY 13131

bams50
03-12-2008, 05:41 PM
My son Rob is a great kid, a wonderful young man; but at this point has zero interest in cars. If he develops an interest someday, of course he'll have a Stude!

His cousin Evyn is my car boy; he's 13 now, and when he's old enough to drive I'll make sure he has his own Stude... of course it will be treated with respect, and he'll have some garden-variety modern car that can absorb the requisite new-driver trip through the rapadillies;) Before he can have the Stude he'll have to demonstrate experience, and the willingness and ability to restore and care for old cars... starting with grunt-work on mine- remember Karate Kid?;)

Parish, central NY 13131

Gary1953
03-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Howard,
Sell the M series. In one of your posts you mentioned having the truck and parts over 30 years. I would guess that if you haven't done anything with it by now you'll probably never get it done. I owned a 1951 Champion Convertible for over 15 years and the only thing I ever did with it was buy a set of tires and haul the darn thing around the country when I moved. After I sold the '51 I came to the conclusion that I would never have the time, money, space or tools do to a restoration of an antique car and decided to find something that was already done. That is what I did. I know everyone is different and you might do something with it. Sooooooo the decision is up to you.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/gsandes50/100_2151.jpg
Gary Sanders
Nixa, MO
President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

Gary1953
03-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Howard,
Sell the M series. In one of your posts you mentioned having the truck and parts over 30 years. I would guess that if you haven't done anything with it by now you'll probably never get it done. I owned a 1951 Champion Convertible for over 15 years and the only thing I ever did with it was buy a set of tires and haul the darn thing around the country when I moved. After I sold the '51 I came to the conclusion that I would never have the time, money, space or tools do to a restoration of an antique car and decided to find something that was already done. That is what I did. I know everyone is different and you might do something with it. Sooooooo the decision is up to you.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/gsandes50/100_2151.jpg
Gary Sanders
Nixa, MO
President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

52-fan
03-13-2008, 08:43 AM
I hear ya Gary. I have pondered that same question in regards to all my Studebakers. Keep it to fix later or sell all and buy one nice one to enjoy now. The old 52 is the one I have really hung on to with hopes of a third redo. The M just happened to be in Searcy all those years I was somewhere else.
I have pretty much decided to gather all the M stuff in one place and decide on ebaying the parts or selling it all to the local guy. I hope I can find everything after this long!
Thanks to all those who posted. I just needed to get another point of view. This is about as close as we can come to sitting down somewhere and hashing things over.

52-fan
03-13-2008, 08:43 AM
I hear ya Gary. I have pondered that same question in regards to all my Studebakers. Keep it to fix later or sell all and buy one nice one to enjoy now. The old 52 is the one I have really hung on to with hopes of a third redo. The M just happened to be in Searcy all those years I was somewhere else.
I have pretty much decided to gather all the M stuff in one place and decide on ebaying the parts or selling it all to the local guy. I hope I can find everything after this long!
Thanks to all those who posted. I just needed to get another point of view. This is about as close as we can come to sitting down somewhere and hashing things over.

buddymander
03-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Kids nowadays, I tell ya. They want what their friends want. As far as mixing the two deals, I've been tempted to in the past as well and sometimes have, but usually end up getting shortchanged. But I guess it has to do with how long your brother has owned his truck because there's always the aspect of having a vehicle in the same family for a long time. Post pics of the parts on here to get opinions on prices.

buddymander
03-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Kids nowadays, I tell ya. They want what their friends want. As far as mixing the two deals, I've been tempted to in the past as well and sometimes have, but usually end up getting shortchanged. But I guess it has to do with how long your brother has owned his truck because there's always the aspect of having a vehicle in the same family for a long time. Post pics of the parts on here to get opinions on prices.

Commander51
03-13-2008, 12:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by tutone63

Give a 16 year old a Daytona??? Man...I don't know how I feel about that. I have heard of many young ladies killing their first cars.

Don't give a new driver anything to drive you expect to get back in one piece. I got my kids battering ram sedans and forbade they have passengers for the first year. A newer 'beater' will be safer for her to drive than the Daytona, IMHO.

http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g178/gmail98/th_51CommanderState.jpg
51 Commander State Sedan
Butler PA

Commander51
03-13-2008, 12:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by tutone63

Give a 16 year old a Daytona??? Man...I don't know how I feel about that. I have heard of many young ladies killing their first cars.

Don't give a new driver anything to drive you expect to get back in one piece. I got my kids battering ram sedans and forbade they have passengers for the first year. A newer 'beater' will be safer for her to drive than the Daytona, IMHO.

http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g178/gmail98/th_51CommanderState.jpg
51 Commander State Sedan
Butler PA

52-fan
03-13-2008, 01:44 PM
You guys are worrying me. I do remember a member in Little Rock found a one owner 48 Champion 4 door with super low miles back around 1975. This car had an interior that looked new and after they buffed the paint it shined like new money. Anyway, the owners teenage son was driving one night with some of his friends and ran into a concrete lane divider on a multi-lane street. The car survived the accident but with significant damage.:(

52-fan
03-13-2008, 01:44 PM
You guys are worrying me. I do remember a member in Little Rock found a one owner 48 Champion 4 door with super low miles back around 1975. This car had an interior that looked new and after they buffed the paint it shined like new money. Anyway, the owners teenage son was driving one night with some of his friends and ran into a concrete lane divider on a multi-lane street. The car survived the accident but with significant damage.:(

rockinhawk
03-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Give a 16 year old girl a Daytona? Been there, done that! She drove it to school and a little while after that. Then it spent several years in my carport untill she gave it to her son. He drove it for a year, then took it apart in my shop. NT

Neil Thornton
Hazlehurst, GA
'57 Silver Hawk
'56 Sky Hawk
'51 2R16 dump truck
Many others.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/avatar2.jpg

rockinhawk
03-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Give a 16 year old girl a Daytona? Been there, done that! She drove it to school and a little while after that. Then it spent several years in my carport untill she gave it to her son. He drove it for a year, then took it apart in my shop. NT

Neil Thornton
Hazlehurst, GA
'57 Silver Hawk
'56 Sky Hawk
'51 2R16 dump truck
Many others.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/avatar2.jpg