Trade or no trade??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade or no trade??

Some of you may remember that several days ago I posed a question about what to do with my M-series pickup. I got lots of good comments and was actually pretty excited about the posibilities especially after going back and rereading Gary Ash's excellent series on restoring his M. Now a new angle has entered this equation and has my head spinning as to which way to go.[]
    I recently was offered a trade of a good 52 Champion front cap + cash for my M basket case. If I let the M go I could buy my brother's 56 pickup which runs and has a solid body, but needs lots of TLC. The M will take years to put back in shape. I have two questions:
    1. Which would you do?
    2. If I trade, what should I ask for the M stuff? [?][?]

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

The ultimate decision is up to you. Things to consider are do you really need the 52 front clip and will it help you finish that project faster if that's what you are doing. Do you really need a 56 E12 P/u to use and drive or wold it just be neat to own it? Also what is your desire/ability to finish the M5 project in a reasonable time frame whatever that is to you. As for the accumulated M5 parts eBay is a great alternative as there is a market for most of them. More M5's were produced than any other Studebaker P/U ever made.
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The ultimate decision is up to you. Things to consider are do you really need the 52 front clip and will it help you finish that project faster if that's what you are doing. Do you really need a 56 E12 P/u to use and drive or wold it just be neat to own it? Also what is your desire/ability to finish the M5 project in a reasonable time frame whatever that is to you. As for the accumulated M5 parts eBay is a great alternative as there is a market for most of them. More M5's were produced than any other Studebaker P/U ever made.

Comment

I don't really need the 52 cap. The sheetmetal on my car is in good shape and unless the chrome on the cap is rechromed, which I doubt, it's probably not as good as what I already have. I also have an nos left front fender and most of the chrome, but no spare hood.
        Whatever truck I had I would want to drive it to work and to some of our club meetings. No total restoration or trailer queen.
        I mostly am trying to think this thing through and wanted some help to decide. Things were much simpler before this offer came out of the blue.

Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I don't really need the 52 cap. The sheetmetal on my car is in good shape and unless the chrome on the cap is rechromed, which I doubt, it's probably not as good as what I already have. I also have an nos left front fender and most of the chrome, but no spare hood.
          Whatever truck I had I would want to drive it to work and to some of our club meetings. No total restoration or trailer queen.
          I mostly am trying to think this thing through and wanted some help to decide. Things were much simpler before this offer came out of the blue.

Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

It's these kind of decisions that makes life interesting. From a personal point of view I'd let the M5 go get the 56 E12 (I'm partial to this one as it was my 1st Stude) sel all the excess 52 parts I didn't want and all of the M5 parts. This way I could complete one project and enjoy life as I drive my new/old truck -

Comment

It's these kind of decisions that makes life interesting. From a personal point of view I'd let the M5 go get the 56 E12 (I'm partial to this one as it was my 1st Stude) sel all the excess 52 parts I didn't want and all of the M5 parts. This way I could complete one project and enjoy life as I drive my new/old truck -

Comment

I don't have a clue what the front cap is worth or what to ask for the M parts. The cab and bed are weathered, but the other stuff has been inside for over thirty years. I don't plan on throwing in the nos stuff that duplicates the usable original pieces.

Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

I don't have a clue what the front cap is worth or what to ask for the M parts. The cab and bed are weathered, but the other stuff has been inside for over thirty years. I don't plan on throwing in the nos stuff that duplicates the usable original pieces.

Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

I think it boils down to what YOU like!

You may not want to hear what some of us would do! [}]

If it were me, and that '62 Daytona is a solid rust-free V-8 car, I would dump all that "old" stuff and make the Daytona nice! And my reasoning? That car will DRIVE 10 times better than either one of the other two![^] But again, you have to "LIKE" it more![:0]

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think it boils down to what YOU like!

You may not want to hear what some of us would do! [}]

If it were me, and that '62 Daytona is a solid rust-free V-8 car, I would dump all that "old" stuff and make the Daytona nice! And my reasoning? That car will DRIVE 10 times better than either one of the other two![^] But again, you have to "LIKE" it more![:0]

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I hear what you're saying about the Daytona and it's in progress, but I sorta promised it to my soon to be 16 year old daugther if she still wants it when she starts driving. Also I really like old trucks and I only live 3 miles from work. I drove a 6 cylinder, 3 speed, column shift 76 Dodge to work for years. Army green, no p/s, no a/c, no radio, sloppy shift linkage and I liked it. I just sold it Sunday after 14 years.

Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I hear what you're saying about the Daytona and it's in progress, but I sorta promised it to my soon to be 16 year old daugther if she still wants it when she starts driving. Also I really like old trucks and I only live 3 miles from work. I drove a 6 cylinder, 3 speed, column shift 76 Dodge to work for years. Army green, no p/s, no a/c, no radio, sloppy shift linkage and I liked it. I just sold it Sunday after 14 years.

Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

The foundational question is, do you want an M? Answer that first.

If you don't want an M specifically, then it's simple. If you did want an M, you have to decide how much.

A 56 is neither good or bad, but is definitely different than the M. Decide that aspect and that will go a long way toward your decision.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

The foundational question is, do you want an M? Answer that first.

If you don't want an M specifically, then it's simple. If you did want an M, you have to decide how much.

A 56 is neither good or bad, but is definitely different than the M. Decide that aspect and that will go a long way toward your decision.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Working...
                              X