Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Pick-up

Where do I find VIN numbers on the '55 pick-up

On the vertical part of the floor pan on the driver's side, above the running board. The serial number will begin with the letter E. There is also a model number that provides infor regarding the engine, tonnage, and wheelbase. That will read something like E5-12. On a separate plate is info regarding the original paint and trim colors.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC
    Skip Lackie

Comment

On the vertical part of the floor pan on the driver's side, above the running board. The serial number will begin with the letter E. There is also a model number that provides infor regarding the engine, tonnage, and wheelbase. That will read something like E5-12. On a separate plate is info regarding the original paint and trim colors.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Many states, when they started needing VIN numbers from vehicles for the titles, opted to get numbers from other places than the body tag. On my truck, for example, the California DMV took the serial number from the motor, which is only stamped right there on the left front of the block (flathead six). So, when I finally get around to putting that rebuilt Champion motor in my truck, you won't be able to find the title's official VIN number anywhere on the truck!

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
        Paul Simpson
        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon
        Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
        The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Many states, when they started needing VIN numbers from vehicles for the titles, opted to get numbers from other places than the body tag. On my truck, for example, the California DMV took the serial number from the motor, which is only stamped right there on the left front of the block (flathead six). So, when I finally get around to putting that rebuilt Champion motor in my truck, you won't be able to find the title's official VIN number anywhere on the truck!

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
          Paul Simpson
          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

I was listening to an old Dragnet radio show from the early 50s, which of course was set in Los Angeles. The critical piece of evidence around which the show revolved was the fact that the "engine number" on a Chevy did not match the number on the title. It would be interesting to know when the various states shifted over to using the serial number stamped elsewhere.

But BTW, I know that many 1930s GM products have the engine number also stamped on the front frame rail. So there's only one number that could be recorded.

Skip Lackie
            Washington DC
            Skip Lackie

Comment

I was listening to an old Dragnet radio show from the early 50s, which of course was set in Los Angeles. The critical piece of evidence around which the show revolved was the fact that the "engine number" on a Chevy did not match the number on the title. It would be interesting to know when the various states shifted over to using the serial number stamped elsewhere.

But BTW, I know that many 1930s GM products have the engine number also stamped on the front frame rail. So there's only one number that could be recorded.

Skip Lackie
              Washington DC
              Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

Skip Lackie
                Washington DC
                When I brought my wife's '55 E7 back to Los Angeles from Amarillo I had a DEVIL of time registering it. The Texas title had the engine number as the VIN and the engine had been replaced with a full-flow cloverleaf 289 at some point. I had to have the Highway Patrol rivit a CA approved tag on both the FRAME and CAB and use THAT number as the VIN. I was really upset but there was no reasoning or recourse with those people.

Comment

Skip Lackie
                  Washington DC
                  When I brought my wife's '55 E7 back to Los Angeles from Amarillo I had a DEVIL of time registering it. The Texas title had the engine number as the VIN and the engine had been replaced with a full-flow cloverleaf 289 at some point. I had to have the Highway Patrol rivit a CA approved tag on both the FRAME and CAB and use THAT number as the VIN. I was really upset but there was no reasoning or recourse with those people.

Comment

For purposes of the Calif. DMV "Title", the "Vin" number was converted to the "Car" serial number in 1955 in California, as it WAS the Engine number.

But since you think West Coast people lead a "sheltered life" so therefore know nothing, I don't know if it matters! [:0]

It would be interesting to know when the various states shifted over to using the serial number stamped elsewhere.
                    StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

For purposes of the Calif. DMV "Title", the "Vin" number was converted to the "Car" serial number in 1955 in California, as it WAS the Engine number.

But since you think West Coast people lead a "sheltered life" so therefore know nothing, I don't know if it matters! [:0]

It would be interesting to know when the various states shifted over to using the serial number stamped elsewhere.
                      StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

In California before 1955 if you changed an engine you were supposed to change the # on the pink slip to be legal. Sure were a lot of illegal hot rods running around that state. How many of us have had an officer check our vin # on a ticket violation? I know that I have never had a vin # checked except when I've had to deal with DMV.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

In California before 1955 if you changed an engine you were supposed to change the # on the pink slip to be legal. Sure were a lot of illegal hot rods running around that state. How many of us have had an officer check our vin # on a ticket violation? I know that I have never had a vin # checked except when I've had to deal with DMV.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

TTBOMK, Pa. has always used the Serial # as the VIN.
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

TTBOMK, Pa. has always used the Serial # as the VIN.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X