PDA

View Full Version : new movie with Dillinger's 1932 Commander

Scott
03-11-2008, 04:12 PM
I suppose a lot of you already know this, but Dillinger's 1932 Studebaker getaway car is going to be used in a new movie about Dillinger and driven by Johnny Depp. I guess it'll be a big buck movie. It took some doing, but they finally got an agreement with the museum that owns the car to use it. I know there is a picture out there of the car if someone can find it. Here's a story:

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/031108/REG_BG18CH3H.049.php

65cruiser
03-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.beloitdailynews.com/content/articles/2008/03/05/news/news01.jpg

Story here:

http://www.beloitdailynews.com/articles/2008/03/05/news/news01.txt

My favorite quote in the article: “Now we're going to find out if it's got brakes.”

Probably not[}:)][:p];)
Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA
Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/sebring.jpg

65cruiser
03-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.beloitdailynews.com/content/articles/2008/03/05/news/news01.jpg

Story here:

http://www.beloitdailynews.com/articles/2008/03/05/news/news01.txt

My favorite quote in the article: “Now we're going to find out if it's got brakes.”

Probably not[}:)][:p];)
Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA
Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/sebring.jpg

Allan Songer
03-11-2008, 04:57 PM
They begin filming this week in Chicago and Milwaukee. We did A LOT of business with them here in L.A.--they loaded up a 48 footer and rented tons of period stuff that they're keeping until June. NICE! The timing was great, just as we were starting to recover from the WGA strike.

I had no idea Dilligner drove a Studebaker. Thanks!

Allan Songer
03-11-2008, 04:57 PM
They begin filming this week in Chicago and Milwaukee. We did A LOT of business with them here in L.A.--they loaded up a 48 footer and rented tons of period stuff that they're keeping until June. NICE! The timing was great, just as we were starting to recover from the WGA strike.

I had no idea Dilligner drove a Studebaker. Thanks!

52 Ragtop
03-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I remember seeing that when I went to the Zone meet in Rockford last year. Great museum! Lots of odd and interesting things. I have a picture somewhere!!

BTW, We'll be in Rockford again this weekend, visiting my Dad.

Jim

52 Ragtop
03-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I remember seeing that when I went to the Zone meet in Rockford last year. Great museum! Lots of odd and interesting things. I have a picture somewhere!!

BTW, We'll be in Rockford again this weekend, visiting my Dad.

Jim

Studebaker Wheel
03-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Probably not a big deal to the movie company or the museum owner but the car is not a '32 but a '31. It was never used by Dillinger or for that matter any other famous desperado. Just a nice old Commander for which someone wanted to maximize the value and made a few improvements and shot a few bullet holes in and took it on a tour to make a few bucks. It has been around for many years. I have talked to the guy who "created" it some years ago and wrote about it in The Antique Studebaker Review. It was for sale at Hershey maybe 8 years ago and of course making the unsubstantiated claim to its heritage.

I certainly have no problems with the use of the car in the movie or the display of it in a museum. Just wanted to point out that there is not a scintilla of evidence that it has any connection to '30's era outlaws.

Richard Quinn
editor: Antique Studebaker Review

Studebaker Wheel
03-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Probably not a big deal to the movie company or the museum owner but the car is not a '32 but a '31. It was never used by Dillinger or for that matter any other famous desperado. Just a nice old Commander for which someone wanted to maximize the value and made a few improvements and shot a few bullet holes in and took it on a tour to make a few bucks. It has been around for many years. I have talked to the guy who "created" it some years ago and wrote about it in The Antique Studebaker Review. It was for sale at Hershey maybe 8 years ago and of course making the unsubstantiated claim to its heritage.

I certainly have no problems with the use of the car in the movie or the display of it in a museum. Just wanted to point out that there is not a scintilla of evidence that it has any connection to '30's era outlaws.

Richard Quinn

JDP
03-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Makes me wonder what happened to the Studebaker he drove to rob the bank that day. That fact is at least historically correct. I bet the movie company will be embarrassed that they are getting conned, the story is all over the net about the "real" car being used.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

JDP
03-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Makes me wonder what happened to the Studebaker he drove to rob the bank that day. That fact is at least historically correct. I bet the movie company will be embarrassed that they are getting conned, the story is all over the net about the "real" car being used.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

Scott
03-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Well, it'll still be good Studebaker exposure, with the likely result that anything with oval headlights will be even further from my reach.

Scott
03-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Well, it'll still be good Studebaker exposure, with the likely result that anything with oval headlights will be even further from my reach.

Dick Steinkamp
03-12-2008, 08:59 AM
When I was a kid growing up in central Wisconsin, the circus that came to town each year had a car claimed to be Dillinger's that could be viewed for the princely fee of 10 cents. I remember viewing the car and being semi underwhelmed that it was just an old car with some bullet holes in it :(. This would be in the late 1950's.

I wonder if this car being used in the movie is the same car the circus had? Maybe it's just a coincidence that the movie car is from Wisconsin also.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/54%20starlight/HiResS2Dsig2.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
03-12-2008, 08:59 AM
When I was a kid growing up in central Wisconsin, the circus that came to town each year had a car claimed to be Dillinger's that could be viewed for the princely fee of 10 cents. I remember viewing the car and being semi underwhelmed that it was just an old car with some bullet holes in it :(. This would be in the late 1950's.

I wonder if this car being used in the movie is the same car the circus had? Maybe it's just a coincidence that the movie car is from Wisconsin also.

BobPalma
03-12-2008, 09:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

:D Likely, Dick, you were underwhelmed because the bullet holes caused it to be in less than pistine condition... [:0];)[8D] BP

BobPalma
03-12-2008, 09:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

:D Likely, Dick, you were underwhelmed because the bullet holes caused it to be in less than pistine condition... [:0];)[8D] BP

Son O Lark
03-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Wouldn't they want to put new glass in it to film the movie? Seems kinda dumb to have Dillinger(Depp) drive around in a car with bullet holes in the glass or body.Especially before the robbery. Don't confuse this with Bonnie and Clyde's car which also has bullet holes. (Wasn't Dillinger was shot on the sidewalk?)

Son O Lark
03-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Wouldn't they want to put new glass in it to film the movie? Seems kinda dumb to have Dillinger(Depp) drive around in a car with bullet holes in the glass or body.Especially before the robbery. Don't confuse this with Bonnie and Clyde's car which also has bullet holes. (Wasn't Dillinger was shot on the sidewalk?)

Gary1953
03-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Yes,
Dillinger was not in a car when he was shot.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/gsandes50/100_2151.jpg
Gary Sanders
Nixa, MO
President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

Gary1953
03-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Yes,
Dillinger was not in a car when he was shot.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/gsandes50/100_2151.jpg
Gary Sanders
Nixa, MO
President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

Studebaker Wheel
03-12-2008, 05:49 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/dillingercarpic.jpg

More on the “Dillinger car." I checked my file on the topic and found the information below that I published in the Jan/Feb 2001 issue of the Antique Studebaker Review.

The photo above shows the trailer used to haul the “bogus” Dillinger car around the country.

<center>DILLINGER'S STUDEBAKER??
(Antique Studebaker Review Jan/Feb 2001)</center>

Your editor recently received the booklet for the annual Barrett-Jackson auction to be held in Scottsdale, Arizona, January 17-21 (2001). The one vehicle which stands out was listed as a 1932 Studebaker Commander and was reportedly the one used by John Dillinger during a daring bank robbery in New Castle, Indiana in October 1933 - and it even has the bullet holes in the back to authenticate it! See photo above. Unfortunately, there are probably more holes in this story than there are in the back of the Studebaker! Read on.

Back in 1995, I was contacted by Joe M. Pinkston, curator of the John Dillinger Museum in Nashville, Ind. The museum had been offered the above referenced car (at a substantial price of course) and he was trying to authenticate it. He forwarded two photos one showing a front view of the car and the second of a large appropriately painted trailer which had been used to transport it around the country during a nation-wide tour back in the 1960’s.

At the time, I was unable to authenticate it as the Dillinger car, but was able to tell Mr. Pinkston that it was definitely not a ’32 Studebaker but instead a very early production 1931 Commander (serial #8,025,154). I was also able to substantiate the fact that a Studebaker "touring car" was used as a getaway car during the 1933 robbery, which netted he and his gang $75,346, the largest take of any of his many bank robberies (if, indeed this was actually a Dillinger robbery)!

Now fast forward to March 29, 1999. On this date I received a telephone call from a Hal Bailey in Florida, who wanted to advertise a pair of headlights for '32 Studebaker. After taking his ad information, I inquired as to how he happened to have the lights. He indicated he once had a 1932 Studebaker and had sold it and now had no further use for the lights. After further inquiries, he related the car he had owned was purchased in central Oregon in c.1961. He did some restoration work on it, put a few bullet holes in the back, and created a "Dillinger getaway car"! He then purchased the trailer and had the appropriate graphics added and hired a few people to take it around the country. When I asked if he had any evidence that it had any connection to Dillinger, he laughed and said, "no."

Mr. Bailey went on to relate how he had sold the car and trailer in about 1975 at an auction in Florida and lost track of it. Among his other one-time possessions was the original "African Queen" used in the Bogart/Hepburn movie and a very large frozen shark, which was quite popular during the "Jaws" frenzy of the '70s. (end)

I would also add that the car in question was being offered for sale at several venues around the country in the late 1990’s. It finally sold at the Barrett Jackson auction in January 2001 for $30,000 (Old Cars Weekly Feb 15, 2001).

Anyone who is considering buying a vehicle or any reportedly rare artifact should do their homework on its provenance (that is the history of the successive custody of the item). I would really like to see the documentation of this particular vehicle.
I am convinced it had nothing whatsoever to do with John Dillinger. The year is incorrect, the body style is incorrect and there is information from its previous owner that it was simply a vehicle recreated for profit.

[i]In response to JP's question about what happened to the original car I am certain it went the way of 99% of all the 1932 Commanders...to the junk yard long ago. There must have been hundreds of cars (mostly stolen) used by various gangster types (Baby Face Nelson, Pretty Boy Floyd etc.) but the only doc

Studebaker Wheel
03-12-2008, 05:49 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/studeq/dillingercarpic.jpg

More on the “Dillinger car." I checked my file on the topic and found the information below that I published in the Jan/Feb 2001 issue of the Antique Studebaker Review.

The photo above shows the trailer used to haul the “bogus” Dillinger car around the country.

<center>DILLINGER'S STUDEBAKER??
(Antique Studebaker Review Jan/Feb 2001)</center>

Your editor recently received the booklet for the annual Barrett-Jackson auction to be held in Scottsdale, Arizona, January 17-21 (2001). The one vehicle which stands out was listed as a 1932 Studebaker Commander and was reportedly the one used by John Dillinger during a daring bank robbery in New Castle, Indiana in October 1933 - and it even has the bullet holes in the back to authenticate it! See photo above. Unfortunately, there are probably more holes in this story than there are in the back of the Studebaker! Read on.

Back in 1995, I was contacted by Joe M. Pinkston, curator of the John Dillinger Museum in Nashville, Ind. The museum had been offered the above referenced car (at a substantial price of course) and he was trying to authenticate it. He forwarded two photos one showing a front view of the car and the second of a large appropriately painted trailer which had been used to transport it around the country during a nation-wide tour back in the 1960’s.

At the time, I was unable to authenticate it as the Dillinger car, but was able to tell Mr. Pinkston that it was definitely not a ’32 Studebaker but instead a very early production 1931 Commander (serial #8,025,154). I was also able to substantiate the fact that a Studebaker "touring car" was used as a getaway car during the 1933 robbery, which netted he and his gang $75,346, the largest take of any of his many bank robberies (if, indeed this was actually a Dillinger robbery)!

Now fast forward to March 29, 1999. On this date I received a telephone call from a Hal Bailey in Florida, who wanted to advertise a pair of headlights for '32 Studebaker. After taking his ad information, I inquired as to how he happened to have the lights. He indicated he once had a 1932 Studebaker and had sold it and now had no further use for the lights. After further inquiries, he related the car he had owned was purchased in central Oregon in c.1961. He did some restoration work on it, put a few bullet holes in the back, and created a "Dillinger getaway car"! He then purchased the trailer and had the appropriate graphics added and hired a few people to take it around the country. When I asked if he had any evidence that it had any connection to Dillinger, he laughed and said, "no."

Mr. Bailey went on to relate how he had sold the car and trailer in about 1975 at an auction in Florida and lost track of it. Among his other one-time possessions was the original "African Queen" used in the Bogart/Hepburn movie and a very large frozen shark, which was quite popular during the "Jaws" frenzy of the '70s. (end)

I would also add that the car in question was being offered for sale at several venues around the country in the late 1990’s. It finally sold at the Barrett Jackson auction in January 2001 for $30,000 (Old Cars Weekly Feb 15, 2001).

Anyone who is considering buying a vehicle or any reportedly rare artifact should do their homework on its provenance (that is the history of the successive custody of the item). I would really like to see the documentation of this particular vehicle.
I am convinced it had nothing whatsoever to do with John Dillinger. The year is incorrect, the body style is incorrect and there is information from its previous owner that it was simply a vehicle recreated for profit.

[i]In response to JP's question about what happened to the original car I am certain it went the way of 99% of all the 1932 Commanders...to the junk yard long ago. There must have been hundreds of cars (mostly stolen) used by various gangster types (Baby Face Nelson, Pretty Boy Floyd etc.) but the only doc

Dick Steinkamp
03-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Great information, Mr. Quinn! I really like how this is documented. Too often we hear "stories" about Studebakers with absolutely no facts to back them up. I like your post! [8D].

BTW, I moved from Wisconsin to Tacoma, WA in the summer of 1961, so the car described here could not have been the one I saw at the fair in Marshfield, WI. There must have been more than one phony Dillinger car. The car I saw, WAS a 4 door sedan and not a touring car, however.

Dick Steinkamp
03-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Great information, Mr. Quinn! I really like how this is documented. Too often we hear "stories" about Studebakers with absolutely no facts to back them up. I like your post! [8D].

BTW, I moved from Wisconsin to Tacoma, WA in the summer of 1961, so the car described here could not have been the one I saw at the fair in Marshfield, WI. There must have been more than one phony Dillinger car. The car I saw, WAS a 4 door sedan and not a touring car, however.

37CoupeE
03-26-2008, 11:35 PM
According to Gunner's Blog on Old Cars Weekly.

It turns out that John Marks did invite the movie people to come see the car and they decided to rent it for the film. They even fixed a bullet hole in the trunk (that shouldn't have been there). And they took the car all the way up to Columbus, Wis., where the filming was being done. But director Micheal Mann didn't like the way the car looked and sent it home without using it.

http://gunnersgarage.oldcarsweekly.com/

Maybe a little bird told them about this discussion.

37CoupeE
03-26-2008, 11:35 PM
According to Gunner's Blog on Old Cars Weekly.

It turns out that John Marks did invite the movie people to come see the car and they decided to rent it for the film. They even fixed a bullet hole in the trunk (that shouldn't have been there). And they took the car all the way up to Columbus, Wis., where the filming was being done. But director Micheal Mann didn't like the way the car looked and sent it home without using it.

http://gunnersgarage.oldcarsweekly.com/

Maybe a little bird told them about this discussion.

JDP
03-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Bob should set that blog straight with the cars history.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door

JDP
03-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Bob should set that blog straight with the cars history.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door

37CoupeE
03-27-2008, 12:41 AM
A link to this discussion was sent in reply to his Blog.

37CoupeE
03-27-2008, 12:41 AM
A link to this discussion was sent in reply to his Blog.

Chris Pile
03-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Dang!
I just put an excerpt from the Peoria Journal-Star's Dillinger Story in the latest newsletter.
NOW what do I do?

Chris Pile
StudeFolk Manager
http://tiny.cc/RYqAK

Chris Pile
03-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Dang!
I just put an excerpt from the Peoria Journal-Star's Dillinger Story in the latest newsletter.
NOW what do I do?

Chris Pile
StudeFolk Manager
http://tiny.cc/RYqAK

railway
03-27-2008, 09:49 PM
I have a set of those headlights! Know anyone with needs? LOL

Ebon...

railway
03-27-2008, 09:49 PM
I have a set of those headlights! Know anyone with needs? LOL

Ebon...

lstude
04-05-2008, 03:47 AM
There is a picture of Dillinger's flight car on eBay, but it looks more like a Model A Ford.

http://tinyurl.com/6r6k9s

Leonard Shepherd
http://leonardshepherd.com/

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/lstude1/MeatSouthBendsm1.jpg

Studebaker Wheel
04-05-2008, 01:34 PM
You are correct Leonard. It is a Model A coupe. This was the car used in the Crown Point, Indiana escape. It had nothing to do with the bank robbery. A neat photo nonetheless!

Richard Quinn