Champ truck clutches.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ truck clutches.

I was following a thread about a diapragm clutch to use on a suspended pedal Champ, but now I've lost it. Was there ever a definative part number or application noted that will work?

Ron Dame
    '63 Champ
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Info was provided by gordr from Canada. He suggested taking the existing pressure plate to a clutch rebuilder and ask them to match it up to an equivalent diaphragm pressure plate. My Champ clutch adjustment and linkage is so messed up I'm considering the 350Turbo swap. TW vendors carry the adapter.

Comment

Hmmm, OK. I thought someone said a Ponticac fit.

I rebuilt my linkage and used lawn tractor tie rod ends for the rod, and it's much better. Still too much effort and sort of sloppy.

As far as the auto-box swap, I can't drive an automatic. Never figured out what to stomp with my left foot at a stop light.

quote:Originally posted by rbruner

Info was provided by gordr from Canada. He suggested taking the existing pressure plate to a clutch rebuilder and ask them to match it up to an equivalent diaphragm pressure plate. My Champ clutch adjustment and linkage is so messed up I'm considering the 350Turbo swap. TW vendors carry the adapter.

Ron Dame
      '63 Champ
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Ron, I used a McLeod speed shop pressure plate in my Champ, meant for a Chevy application. Did the same swap later on an Avanti, and used a rebuilder PP for a Firebird with a 400 motor, I think.

It's a design that has wide application across the GM line. Like I said in the previous post, this is the sort of thing where a good hotrod shop/mechanic or maybe off-road 4X4 shop/mechanic would be worth consulting, as power train swapping is what they DO.

Judging from the interest in this topic, it sure looks like a clutch swap kit would be a popular item. Once I get home, I'm going to pester my FLAPS guy and see if I can come up with some parts possibilities for a diaphragm pressure plate, integral hydraulic release bearing, and master cylinders. Maybe even a ball/roller pilot bearing, too. I have several standard-shift Studes that could benefit from an upgrade, so I have test mules to play with.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks Gord. That was the stuff in the thread I couldn't find again. I printed it off this time.

Ron Dame
          '63 Champ
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

Hi, Gord,

Go for it and put the numbers out there, but remember, "No good deed goes unpunished."

Because the Borg-Warner manual transmissions were the industry standard and used by EVERY US manufacturer at some point, no part in automotive history is more generic than the Studebaker V8 10-spline clutch disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing. When GM converted to diaphragm pressure plates, the whole family of them became available to Studebakers as well, when used with the correct larger outer diameter throwout bearing.
            "Well, Jack, why don't you give us the part numbers or applications, already."

No, because the last two times I did it, I got a lot of behind-the-back flack from a couple of local Stude owners; one because the McLeod pressure plate I am using in my performance application was too stiff for his wife to drive his show car. Then, both he and the second local complained because McLeod was three times as expensive as what he paid for a stock one from SASCO ten years ago.

Again, there is NOTHING rare or mysterious about the Studebaker clutch, pressure plate or throwout bearing. It is not necessary to go to performance manufacturers, such as McLeod. They are generic parts, still in use in millions of trucks. NAPA and any clutch and brake shop has them on the shelf. Recently, I saw an offshore manufactured kit for GMs with all three parts for $65 jobber cost.

What is difficult is finding the sweet spot of performance, pedal pressure and cost for individual Stude owners. Then, even if the parts are correct, it may be as has been the case in a couple of threads here, the linkage is so worn or cobbled, the parts become suspect in the mind of that owner. The safest course for most who may have concerns about what and how is to order from one of our vendors.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

OK, Jack I understand where you are coming from...how about instead of numbers, and application? (say, '68 Nova 327 or somesuch)

Here's why I'm asking this instead of matching up something comparable: The truck is running fine, with an OK clutch, but the new clutch is for the new engine,and since I'm getting the whole thing balanced, I need a new clutch to go with the flywheel and the rest of the spinny-round, up-and-down internal bits for the speed shop to balance. I'm not going to take the truck out of service until the new engine is finished, so I have no old clutch available to match a new one up with.

An e-mail would be fine if you don't want it out for the rest of the world to see.

Thanks!

Ron

Ron Dame
              '63 Champ
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

Comment

Hi, Ron,

The usual listing I look under for the Studebaker OEM-style clutch is:

GM cars 1962-81 10.5" disc, 1-1/8"x 10-spline shaft

If you want to try a diaphragm pressure plate, there is some fiddling with the throwout bearing and the bearing retainer on the transmission to make it work, but look under:

GM cars and trucks 1955-84, 10.5 disc, 1-1/8"x 10-spline shaft

jack vines

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

That's what I'm looking for! Thanks!

Ron

Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment