PDA

View Full Version : fluorescent lights

doug
03-11-2008, 02:57 AM
Just saw a picture of a garage with fluorescent ceiling lights. Just a comment from someone in shaky country, I had a small earthquake shake some of the bulbs out and they dropped on a car. I have since rigged up retainers to catch the bulbs if they come out again. Used coat hangers to fit around the light assemblies.

This does not apply to most of you out there since your carage would never experience a 'quake, large wind gust, ets. Just food for thought.

52-fan
03-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Good thought. I have known of flourescent tubes to fall out for unknown reasons. Years ago I had one fall onto the table saw in my school shop just after the students using it walked away. The ceiling was about 12 feet high.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas

52-fan
03-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Good thought. I have known of flourescent tubes to fall out for unknown reasons. Years ago I had one fall onto the table saw in my school shop just after the students using it walked away. The ceiling was about 12 feet high.

DEEPNHOCK
03-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Not a bad idea..
I would soup up this idea with the plastic tube bulb liners sold at the home store..
(to keep them contained if they did break)
And I would use some solid copper, insulated wire(peel it out of some scrap Romex),rather than a coat hanger.
(a little cusioning can't hurt... I hate the thought of steel on glass)
Just thinkin' out loud..
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by doug

Just saw a picture of a garage with fluorescent ceiling lights. Just a comment from someone in shaky country, I had a small earthquake shake some of the bulbs out and they dropped on a car. I have since rigged up retainers to catch the bulbs if they come out again. Used coat hangers to fit around the light assemblies.

This does not apply to most of you out there since your carage would never experience a 'quake, large wind gust, ets. Just food for thought.

DEEPNHOCK
03-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Not a bad idea..
I would soup up this idea with the plastic tube bulb liners sold at the home store..
(to keep them contained if they did break)
And I would use some solid copper, insulated wire(peel it out of some scrap Romex),rather than a coat hanger.
(a little cusioning can't hurt... I hate the thought of steel on glass)
Just thinkin' out loud..
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by doug

gordr
03-11-2008, 05:25 PM
And if you are building a garage, use recessed fluorescent fixtures with a plastic diffuser panel. There are also surface-mount fixtures with plastic snap-in diffusers.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

gordr
03-11-2008, 05:25 PM
And if you are building a garage, use recessed fluorescent fixtures with a plastic diffuser panel. There are also surface-mount fixtures with plastic snap-in diffusers.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

tutone63
03-11-2008, 05:29 PM
For a second I was thinking you all were going to talk about ground effects lighting under your rocker panels...;)

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh54/tutone63/63larkside-1.jpg
She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

tutone63
03-11-2008, 05:29 PM
For a second I was thinking you all were going to talk about ground effects lighting under your rocker panels...;)

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh54/tutone63/63larkside-1.jpg
She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

rockne10
03-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Or using 12-volt flourescents as dome lights:D. The '53 only has that underdash map light; no dome light at all.

rockne10
03-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Or using 12-volt flourescents as dome lights:D. The '53 only has that underdash map light; no dome light at all.

8E45E
03-11-2008, 06:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

For years, school gymnasiums have had wire guards around the flourescent lights, and any other fixture prone to damage from flying balls, etc. If you could source some of those from an electrical wholesaler, it would save a lot of work of having to fabricate your own.

Craig

8E45E
03-11-2008, 06:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

For years, school gymnasiums have had wire guards around the flourescent lights, and any other fixture prone to damage from flying balls, etc. If you could source some of those from an electrical wholesaler, it would save a lot of work of having to fabricate your own.

Craig

Thomas63R2
03-11-2008, 10:57 PM
All the Home Depot / Lowes stores near me sell new flourescent light assemblies with wire shields/guards. And if you get them with non-magnetic ballasts they are pretty quiet.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
Packrat junk collector
'63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Thomas63R2
03-11-2008, 10:57 PM
All the Home Depot / Lowes stores near me sell new flourescent light assemblies with wire shields/guards. And if you get them with non-magnetic ballasts they are pretty quiet.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
Packrat junk collector
'63 Avanti R2 4 speed

52-fan
03-12-2008, 07:08 AM
I'm all for treating the environment gently, but this light bulb thing is overblown. Yes, fluorescents use less energy initially, but the environmental problems caused by improperly disposed of bulbs(and you know they will be)and the triggering of seizures and migraine headaches in some people make the benefits questionable. It's just like the changing of refrigerants some years ago. The real benefits go to those selling the new product at its higher price!:([V]

52-fan
03-12-2008, 07:08 AM
I'm all for treating the environment gently, but this light bulb thing is overblown. Yes, fluorescents use less energy initially, but the environmental problems caused by improperly disposed of bulbs(and you know they will be)and the triggering of seizures and migraine headaches in some people make the benefits questionable. It's just like the changing of refrigerants some years ago. The real benefits go to those selling the new product at its higher price!:([V]

JDP
03-12-2008, 07:36 AM
Funny that this thread just showed up as part of my garage cleanup came to making lighting improvements. I have a pair of T8 4 tube, 8 foot fixtures and some 4 footers in the garage. One of the 8 footers had a bad ballast on two tubes and I had to replace it. The new ballast was solid state, no tar o PVC's and was whisper quite, quite a surprise.
When i asked about buying two whole new light assemblies, I found the out the old T8's were obsolete and a new T12 bulb was out so I bought it. the new T12 bulb's are thinner, lighter, give off more light and use less electricity, another surprise.
The 2 tube T12 fixture was about $50 and improved the lighting so much in the garage, I'm buying one or two more. Working on Studebakers in my garage 7 days a week, the extra lighting is welcome.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

JDP
03-12-2008, 07:36 AM
Funny that this thread just showed up as part of my garage cleanup came to making lighting improvements. I have a pair of T8 4 tube, 8 foot fixtures and some 4 footers in the garage. One of the 8 footers had a bad ballast on two tubes and I had to replace it. The new ballast was solid state, no tar o PVC's and was whisper quite, quite a surprise.
When i asked about buying two whole new light assemblies, I found the out the old T8's were obsolete and a new T12 bulb was out so I bought it. the new T12 bulb's are thinner, lighter, give off more light and use less electricity, another surprise.
The 2 tube T12 fixture was about $50 and improved the lighting so much in the garage, I'm buying one or two more. Working on Studebakers in my garage 7 days a week, the extra lighting is welcome.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

jlmccuan
03-12-2008, 10:08 AM
They definately trigger migraines. I work with lights out in my office as the flicker from computer monitors and lights do a number on me. Changed all the computer monitors to get rid of CRT's. To me, a fluorescent bulb looks like a candle strobing off and on. I was 30 before I realized that most other people can't see it.

Jim
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x98/jlmccuan/Avanti/AvantiSignature.jpghttp://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x98/jlmccuan/Avanti/Logo/RabidSnailSignature.jpg
_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________Rabid Snail Racing

jlmccuan
03-12-2008, 10:08 AM
They definately trigger migraines. I work with lights out in my office as the flicker from computer monitors and lights do a number on me. Changed all the computer monitors to get rid of CRT's. To me, a fluorescent bulb looks like a candle strobing off and on. I was 30 before I realized that most other people can't see it.

Jim
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x98/jlmccuan/Avanti/AvantiSignature.jpghttp://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x98/jlmccuan/Avanti/Logo/RabidSnailSignature.jpg
_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________Rabid Snail Racing

Jack
03-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Never occured to me. Next project in the garage. I can do that next week cuz the car's going to the body shop for paint.

Jack
03-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Never occured to me. Next project in the garage. I can do that next week cuz the car's going to the body shop for paint.