PDA

View Full Version : 1st gear start in 57 FOM. Spring change-it works!

Rosstude
10-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Well, I can now say with 100% certainty, that you can change a 1957 V/8 F.O.M to start in first gear by swapping out 1 spring. (1540971)
I can also say with 100% certainty that the car will only have reverse if you do not get the gear selector lever into the control valve correctly[B)] Oh-well, I am now really good at pulling the pan and control valve, having done it twice today. I changed the lever seals as well.
It drives fine, itís peppier in my wifeís words.. It shifts a little early under light throttle for my taste, about 7 to 12 MPH, but that is close to the book spec. The point that it shifts increases in proportion to the throttle position, max speed of the 1-2 shift is somewhere around 35 to 40 MPH under WOT condition.
I was a bit too excited to really note the exact speeds, but suffice to say IT WORKS:D
I did notice a bit of slippage/hesitation on the 1-2 shift under mid range throttle, not always, but occasionally it seemed to rev-up on the 1-2 shift, other times it shifted firm. Time will tell if this is a problem.
I am excited, not sure why, it really did work fine starting out in second gear, kind a cool project none the less. The more I dive into auto transís, the less I fear them, someday I may even attempt a overhaul.

Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar
1963 Lark. F.S.

Roscomacaw
10-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Cool news, Ross! The trannies aren't that hard to go thru. It's been 30 years since I did one but I did two of them by the book (improvising some special tools as were needed) and both of them shifted fine with the first try.[:p]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe