PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker motors worth rebuilding?

mike mcdonald
03-10-2008, 05:55 PM
I have a 55 rusty bake that has been settig for 43 years, I like the body style, but how good are the motors, when I was told I can put a s-ten running gear under with a 350 moter.

PackardV8
03-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi, Mike,

Welcome aboard. For an informed opinion, more detail than
quote:55 rusty bake would be helpful

Is it a truck or car? Long wheelbase or short? Coupe, hardtop, 2-dr or 4-dr? Six cylinder or V8?

While it is theoretically possible to put the ubiquitous S-10 chassis/350V8 under anything, many here will question the advisablity. IMHO, there is nothing inherently lacking in the OEM Studebaker chassis and certainly not in the V8 engine. I had the opportunity to drive a '49 pickup with an S-10 chassis and was not impressed, given the time and money invested. Another member has a similar truck, OEM chassis with a 4.3 V6, 4L60 tranny and power steering for much less cost. The latter drove better and handled better, plus it looked "right."

As always, your 55 rusty bake, your money, your decision.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

PackardV8
03-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi, Mike,

Welcome aboard. For an informed opinion, more detail than
quote:55 rusty bake would be helpful

Is it a truck or car? Long wheelbase or short? Coupe, hardtop, 2-dr or 4-dr? Six cylinder or V8?

While it is theoretically possible to put the ubiquitous S-10 chassis/350V8 under anything, many here will question the advisablity. IMHO, there is nothing inherently lacking in the OEM Studebaker chassis and certainly not in the V8 engine. I had the opportunity to drive a '49 pickup with an S-10 chassis and was not impressed, given the time and money invested. Another member has a similar truck, OEM chassis with a 4.3 V6, 4L60 tranny and power steering for much less cost. The latter drove better and handled better, plus it looked "right."

As always, your 55 rusty bake, your money, your decision.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8

doug
03-11-2008, 02:41 AM
The new Consumers Reports magazine listed the S-10 (4wd) as the worst of the worst used vehicle for reliability and lists many S-10s on the cars to avoid list. Your call.

doug
03-11-2008, 02:41 AM
The new Consumers Reports magazine listed the S-10 (4wd) as the worst of the worst used vehicle for reliability and lists many S-10s on the cars to avoid list. Your call.

Flashback
03-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Welcome Mike. More info on you Stude., and you will get answers. I am new too and this group has helped me.

Tex in Alabama
53 C coupe

Tex E. Grier

Flashback
03-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Welcome Mike. More info on you Stude., and you will get answers. I am new too and this group has helped me.

Tex in Alabama
53 C coupe

Tex E. Grier

DEEPNHOCK
03-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Mike.
Don't take this wrong... (and this is coming from a hot rodder)

'If' you are talking about your '55 President Speedster, you need to do some serious homework before you start cutting it up.
You very well might find a Studebaker guy that would trade you even up for a much better candidate for a hot rod Stude.
The '55 Speedster' is a rare trim option model, and is one that some would go a long way to save and properly restore, than to see it cut up and modified.
All I am saying is to think about this and check your options out carefully before you start your project.
OK, having said that....
Rebuilding a Stude engine is just like any other engine.
Only things different are 'wrist pin cinch bolts', 'crankshaft end thrust shims', 'external oil pressure bypass valve', 'gear driven camshaft', and a couple of other insignificant items.
Parts are readily available from some great Stude vendors...all around the country...
So....
You can jam an S-10 chassis under a lot of things.
That doesn't guarantee anything as far as Stude's go.
You may well end up with a Stude worth less than you started,
or you may well end up with a gem of a ride that suits you to a 'T'....
But if you haven't done a swap like this before...
Do your homework carefully.
There will be a LOT of fabrications involved.
Things like cutting and lengthening/shortening the frame, cutting driveshafts, bracketry, wiring...
All the disciplines.
This is a good place to ask your questions.
Just be prepared for some stern answers;)
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by mike mcdonald

I have a 55 rusty bake that has been settig for 43 years, I like the body style, but how good are the motors, when I was told I can put a s-ten running gear under with a 350 moter.

DEEPNHOCK
03-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Mike.
Don't take this wrong... (and this is coming from a hot rodder)

'If' you are talking about your '55 President Speedster, you need to do some serious homework before you start cutting it up.
You very well might find a Studebaker guy that would trade you even up for a much better candidate for a hot rod Stude.
The '55 Speedster' is a rare trim option model, and is one that some would go a long way to save and properly restore, than to see it cut up and modified.
All I am saying is to think about this and check your options out carefully before you start your project.
OK, having said that....
Rebuilding a Stude engine is just like any other engine.
Only things different are 'wrist pin cinch bolts', 'crankshaft end thrust shims', 'external oil pressure bypass valve', 'gear driven camshaft', and a couple of other insignificant items.
Parts are readily available from some great Stude vendors...all around the country...
So....
You can jam an S-10 chassis under a lot of things.
That doesn't guarantee anything as far as Stude's go.
You may well end up with a Stude worth less than you started,
or you may well end up with a gem of a ride that suits you to a 'T'....
But if you haven't done a swap like this before...
Do your homework carefully.
There will be a LOT of fabrications involved.
Things like cutting and lengthening/shortening the frame, cutting driveshafts, bracketry, wiring...
All the disciplines.
This is a good place to ask your questions.
Just be prepared for some stern answers;)
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by mike mcdonald