PDA

View Full Version : 57 wagon on ebay

JDP
03-10-2008, 09:12 AM
My 57 2 door wagon is on ebay with a Buy It Now to keep it from going nuts over my low reserve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290213319491

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

Dick Steinkamp
03-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Nice car!

Here it is when I posted it for sale at the end of January...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16130&SearchTerms=corvair

I had a full trailer or I would have taken it home. I'm glad JDP and Sal got this one, but don't let them get them all! Plenty of bargains out there.

What the heck is the little box on the passenger side inner fender in the engine compartment with the wires and hoses to it?

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/54%20starlight/HiResS2Dsig2.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
03-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Nice car!

Here it is when I posted it for sale at the end of January...

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16130&SearchTerms=corvair

I had a full trailer or I would have taken it home. I'm glad JDP and Sal got this one, but don't let them get them all! Plenty of bargains out there.

What the heck is the little box on the passenger side inner fender in the engine compartment with the wires and hoses to it?

studeclunker
03-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Beautiful car. Was the front seat re-done at one time? The bottom doesn't look quite right. The door panels look a lot like my '56 (though in much better condition). I'll tell ya, that offer on the carpet/upholstry is a STEAL! Just the upholstry materials cost me more than that for my front seat alone!!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

studeclunker
03-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Beautiful car. Was the front seat re-done at one time? The bottom doesn't look quite right. The door panels look a lot like my '56 (though in much better condition). I'll tell ya, that offer on the carpet/upholstry is a STEAL! Just the upholstry materials cost me more than that for my front seat alone!!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

r1lark
03-10-2008, 10:03 AM
From eBay ad: "It's one of those cars that looks great from 20 feet, gets high fives on the road, but is far from flawless."

I bet those high-fives with other drivers on the road is tough!! <BOSEG> ;)

Paul
Winston-Salem, NC

r1lark
03-10-2008, 10:03 AM
From eBay ad: "It's one of those cars that looks great from 20 feet, gets high fives on the road, but is far from flawless."

I bet those high-fives with other drivers on the road is tough!! <BOSEG> ;)

Paul
Winston-Salem, NC

satdoc2
03-10-2008, 10:48 AM
JP,
Help me to understaand this. You buy studebakers for bargain prices then resell them at a low reserve BIN price to keep the price down on studebakers? (Are as you mentioned on this one "to keep it from going nuts over my low reserve") Then you advise NAPA of what they are selling for? How will this help to get the real value of studebakers up?
Allen

satdoc2
03-10-2008, 10:48 AM
JP,
Help me to understaand this. You buy studebakers for bargain prices then resell them at a low reserve BIN price to keep the price down on studebakers? (Are as you mentioned on this one "to keep it from going nuts over my low reserve") Then you advise NAPA of what they are selling for? How will this help to get the real value of studebakers up?
Allen

StudeDave57
03-10-2008, 11:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by satdoc2

JP,
How will this help to get the real value of studebakers up?
Allen

This isn't a C/K or Avanti~ not JDP's 'regular' cup of tea~
so there may be no worries for him on this one [?] [?] [?]

I sure wish I'd been able to have seen it first!!!

StudeDave [8D]
V/P San Diego County SDC
San Diego, Ca
www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
'57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
'57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
'57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
'58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
'65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

edited for spelling... :( [V]

StudeDave57
03-10-2008, 11:18 AM

JP,
How will this help to get the real value of studebakers up?
Allen

This isn't a C/K or Avanti~ not JDP's 'regular' cup of tea~
so there may be no worries for him on this one [?] [?] [?]

I sure wish I'd been able to have seen it first!!!

StudeDave [8D]
V/P San Diego County SDC
San Diego, Ca
www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
'57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
'57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
'57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
'58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
'65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

edited for spelling... :( [V]

jackb
03-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Electric fuel pump ?....What the heck is the little box on the passenger side inner fender in the engine compartment with the wires and hoses to it?

jackb
03-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Electric fuel pump ?....What the heck is the little box on the passenger side inner fender in the engine compartment with the wires and hoses to it?

65cruiser
03-10-2008, 11:23 AM
This is one of those cars that kill me. My finger quivered over the BIN for a moment. When Dick first put that one here on the forum I didn't really want to look at it.

Love to have it, simply love it.

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA
Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/sebring.jpg

65cruiser
03-10-2008, 11:23 AM
This is one of those cars that kill me. My finger quivered over the BIN for a moment. When Dick first put that one here on the forum I didn't really want to look at it.

Love to have it, simply love it.

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA
Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/sebring.jpg

StudeDave57
03-10-2008, 11:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by jackb

That'd be my guess- the lines run right to the carb.
Dad's Pelham doesn't have one of those~ I wonder if we'll need to get one [?] [?] [?]

StudeDave [8D]

StudeDave57
03-10-2008, 11:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by jackb

That'd be my guess- the lines run right to the carb.
Dad's Pelham doesn't have one of those~ I wonder if we'll need to get one [?] [?] [?]

StudeDave [8D]

JDP
03-10-2008, 01:07 PM
I try and set the reserve based on what I have in the car, not the market value, but the bidders will decide that. In the case of the wagon, we bought it cheap, only have a few days labor and very little money in the car, so a low reserve was called for.
If it does not sell, I'll spend the $500 and do the interior and try again closer to what I feel the market would be.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

JDP
03-10-2008, 01:07 PM
I try and set the reserve based on what I have in the car, not the market value, but the bidders will decide that. In the case of the wagon, we bought it cheap, only have a few days labor and very little money in the car, so a low reserve was called for.
If it does not sell, I'll spend the $500 and do the interior and try again closer to what I feel the market would be.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

Dick Steinkamp
03-10-2008, 01:52 PM

JP,
Allen

I don't think these sales are getting into NADA data since most NADA values on Studebakers are unrealistically high.

This does bring up an interesting point, however. If somebody, anybody,or all of us could, would it be best to get the value of Studebakers up, or keep them (for the most part) an affordable part of the old car hobby?

I guess if you bought your last Studebaker, having them appreciate quickly would be a good thing, and if not, it would be a bad thing.

Personally, I'd hate to see our Studebakers bringing '57 Chevy prices. I like them relatively inexpensive...but then I haven't bought my last one. :D

Dick Steinkamp
03-10-2008, 01:52 PM

JP,
Allen

I don't think these sales are getting into NADA data since most NADA values on Studebakers are unrealistically high.

This does bring up an interesting point, however. If somebody, anybody,or all of us could, would it be best to get the value of Studebakers up, or keep them (for the most part) an affordable part of the old car hobby?

I guess if you bought your last Studebaker, having them appreciate quickly would be a good thing, and if not, it would be a bad thing.

Personally, I'd hate to see our Studebakers bringing '57 Chevy prices. I like them relatively inexpensive...but then I haven't bought my last one. :D

JDP
03-10-2008, 02:55 PM
High prices, pro and con:

Pro: More general collector interest,more new SDC members, better market for reproduction, NOS and used parts, better resale for current owners. More cars made affordable to restore.

Con's: High purchase price for buyers,(but recovered on resale) higher parts prices.

The main down side lies with the members that have been chasing the cream of the crop cars. I've been priced out of the market for my dream car, a R3 Avanti that I could not afford when they were 30K, now just a dream. There will always be affordable Studebakers, just collect the under appreciated models.
I see the membership spitting into two camps. The old school guys that bought Studebakers because they were cheap to buy and maintain, and the new money guys buying the investment cars. If you own already own a flashy Studebaker, you may cheer the higher market value, if you're shopping for one, not so much.
For me it's pretty much a wash. The Hawk I could buy for 5K and resell for 7K is now a car I can buy for 10K car and resell for 12. :)

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

JDP
03-10-2008, 02:55 PM
High prices, pro and con:

Pro: More general collector interest,more new SDC members, better market for reproduction, NOS and used parts, better resale for current owners. More cars made affordable to restore.

Con's: High purchase price for buyers,(but recovered on resale) higher parts prices.

The main down side lies with the members that have been chasing the cream of the crop cars. I've been priced out of the market for my dream car, a R3 Avanti that I could not afford when they were 30K, now just a dream. There will always be affordable Studebakers, just collect the under appreciated models.
I see the membership spitting into two camps. The old school guys that bought Studebakers because they were cheap to buy and maintain, and the new money guys buying the investment cars. If you own already own a flashy Studebaker, you may cheer the higher market value, if you're shopping for one, not so much.
For me it's pretty much a wash. The Hawk I could buy for 5K and resell for 7K is now a car I can buy for 10K car and resell for 12. :)

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

bams50
03-11-2008, 04:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by JDP

with a Buy It Now to keep it from going nuts over my low reserve.

[

John, I don't get this- what would be wrong with that? It seems to me the market will determine value, and the more one sells an item for, the better? Isn't that how the free market works?

To me, that's what's great about auctions; when you put a price on an item you have to be careful not to make it too high, or no one will buy it. Auctions take that problem away; all a seller has to do is decide if the market offered enough.

If the market agrees to pay a really high price, no problem- the buyer got to decide and set the price, and the seller got more than he thought- a win/win!

NO WAY I would have EVER asked a grand for an old AM/FM radio; but the market showed me that was correct[:0]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

bams50
03-11-2008, 04:55 AM

with a Buy It Now to keep it from going nuts over my low reserve.

[

John, I don't get this- what would be wrong with that? It seems to me the market will determine value, and the more one sells an item for, the better? Isn't that how the free market works?

To me, that's what's great about auctions; when you put a price on an item you have to be careful not to make it too high, or no one will buy it. Auctions take that problem away; all a seller has to do is decide if the market offered enough.

If the market agrees to pay a really high price, no problem- the buyer got to decide and set the price, and the seller got more than he thought- a win/win!

NO WAY I would have EVER asked a grand for an old AM/FM radio; but the market showed me that was correct[:0]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

wpsrea
03-11-2008, 06:02 AM
JP, I believe you have left out the most important "con". When the prices go up substanually, the average hobbyist is left out. One of the reasons why Studebakers have such a strong following is the average car guy. The cars and parts are reasonable and readily available. If the Studebaker ever do go the way of the "'57 Chevy", this forum and the club will look a lot different and not for the better I'm afraid. I would hate to see it go that way.

wpsrea
03-11-2008, 06:02 AM
JP, I believe you have left out the most important "con". When the prices go up substanually, the average hobbyist is left out. One of the reasons why Studebakers have such a strong following is the average car guy. The cars and parts are reasonable and readily available. If the Studebaker ever do go the way of the "'57 Chevy", this forum and the club will look a lot different and not for the better I'm afraid. I would hate to see it go that way.

JDP
03-11-2008, 07:39 AM
If the average hobbyist can't afford a $300-$500 4 door Lark, they can't afford a lot of hobbies. Even fishing as a hobby can be expensive, so most don't start out with a $1,000 rod and reel.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

JDP
03-11-2008, 07:39 AM
If the average hobbyist can't afford a $300-$500 4 door Lark, they can't afford a lot of hobbies. Even fishing as a hobby can be expensive, so most don't start out with a $1,000 rod and reel.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

8E45E
03-11-2008, 07:45 AM

Some things aren't hobbies for oneself. Factor in the cost of putting your kids in sports, music, etc. And in later years, to college.

Craig

8E45E
03-11-2008, 07:45 AM

Some things aren't hobbies for oneself. Factor in the cost of putting your kids in sports, music, etc. And in later years, to college.

Craig

JDP
03-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Bams, I'd rather made a nice profit on a car then risk disappointing a bidder that thinks the car car is worth more then it is. Take the guy that bid my R2 Lark to 25K against a 12K reserve. When he tried to sell it 5 years latter, he could not break 22K and was slamming me for ripping him off with a BS story about a 160 speedo. That's why many vendors won't sell openly on ebay, they fear being accused of ripping off a customer that bids way over their regular retail.
It's also a small hobby, and someone may have told him I paid $1500 for that Lark before restoration and maybe he assumed I just washed it for ebay:)

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

JDP
03-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Bams, I'd rather made a nice profit on a car then risk disappointing a bidder that thinks the car car is worth more then it is. Take the guy that bid my R2 Lark to 25K against a 12K reserve. When he tried to sell it 5 years latter, he could not break 22K and was slamming me for ripping him off with a BS story about a 160 speedo. That's why many vendors won't sell openly on ebay, they fear being accused of ripping off a customer that bids way over their regular retail.
It's also a small hobby, and someone may have told him I paid $1500 for that Lark before restoration and maybe he assumed I just washed it for ebay:)

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

satdoc2
03-11-2008, 08:29 AM
JDP,
From what I have seen since seeing your cars and parts for sale on eBay, you have always had complete honest discriptions of your items. Plenty of pictures with nothing hidden or misrepresented. You are always willing to help anyone that asks for information of anykind. You should not have to worry about "some bidder going wild". You are greatly appreciated. Don't forget to give yourself a needed rest at times. Maybe I'll have the pleasure of meeting you someday.
Allen

satdoc2
03-11-2008, 08:29 AM
JDP,
From what I have seen since seeing your cars and parts for sale on eBay, you have always had complete honest discriptions of your items. Plenty of pictures with nothing hidden or misrepresented. You are always willing to help anyone that asks for information of anykind. You should not have to worry about "some bidder going wild". You are greatly appreciated. Don't forget to give yourself a needed rest at times. Maybe I'll have the pleasure of meeting you someday.
Allen

JDP
03-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Allen, I'm selling used cars, very used as a matter of fact. Assume that I'm a s candid as I can be, and the unexpected happens. A buyer that throws a rod trough the block of fairly priced car is going to be less critical then one who overpaid, even if the fact is that it was his mistake for doing it.
In the long run, making a killing on one car could cost you a lot of lost Karma on the rest.:) It may all be a moot point, since the wagon's bidding is not exactly on fire. One day I'll learn to stick with the flashy cars for good, but the wagon seemed to be a bargain to me.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

JDP
03-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Allen, I'm selling used cars, very used as a matter of fact. Assume that I'm a s candid as I can be, and the unexpected happens. A buyer that throws a rod trough the block of fairly priced car is going to be less critical then one who overpaid, even if the fact is that it was his mistake for doing it.
In the long run, making a killing on one car could cost you a lot of lost Karma on the rest.:) It may all be a moot point, since the wagon's bidding is not exactly on fire. One day I'll learn to stick with the flashy cars for good, but the wagon seemed to be a bargain to me.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

JDP
03-11-2008, 11:43 AM
I just spent a hour on the phone with a fellow that Barry had referred to me that had a project Golden Hawk that he was buried in and motivated to sell. I basically convinced him to get more of the car together or he was likely to get raped on the sale.
The fellow is over 30K in, all the chrome is done, Phantom interior has been purchased, but paint,, engine and drive line still need to be done. If anyone is interested he may finish the body and paint and just let the new owner do the drive line and assembly. He'll sell for lot less then he has it, but I don't have the heart to offer him a price then would keep me out of trouble on a resale.
The car is in New Jersey if anyone can help. I suspect a new owner may end up just fine if they can do the work themselves since it should be a 35-40K car done. it's a Gold/White car. His name is Anthony and he's at 856-478-2999, nice fellow, so be fair.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

JDP
03-11-2008, 11:43 AM
I just spent a hour on the phone with a fellow that Barry had referred to me that had a project Golden Hawk that he was buried in and motivated to sell. I basically convinced him to get more of the car together or he was likely to get raped on the sale.
The fellow is over 30K in, all the chrome is done, Phantom interior has been purchased, but paint,, engine and drive line still need to be done. If anyone is interested he may finish the body and paint and just let the new owner do the drive line and assembly. He'll sell for lot less then he has it, but I don't have the heart to offer him a price then would keep me out of trouble on a resale.
The car is in New Jersey if anyone can help. I suspect a new owner may end up just fine if they can do the work themselves since it should be a 35-40K car done. it's a Gold/White car. His name is Anthony and he's at 856-478-2999, nice fellow, so be fair.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

8E45E
03-11-2008, 12:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I don't think there is a concrete answer to that question.

On one hand, I like to see the values UP, because someone will be inclined to save one over seeing it get crushed. Case in point! I bought a '65 Cruiser sedan from the autowreckers a couple of years ago who offered it 'for sale' before instantly sending it into the yard to be stripped. (I paid a very resonable $600 for it.) On the other hand, if prices get too high, it does price them out of the market for those who want a nice old car to work on as many have already noted here.

Craig

8E45E
03-11-2008, 12:24 PM

I don't think there is a concrete answer to that question.

On one hand, I like to see the values UP, because someone will be inclined to save one over seeing it get crushed. Case in point! I bought a '65 Cruiser sedan from the autowreckers a couple of years ago who offered it 'for sale' before instantly sending it into the yard to be stripped. (I paid a very resonable $600 for it.) On the other hand, if prices get too high, it does price them out of the market for those who want a nice old car to work on as many have already noted here.

Craig

tutone63
03-11-2008, 02:12 PM
In response to Dick's Question, I have to say that if Studebakers were not more affordable than many other classics, especially the Orphans, I definetly would not be able to have mine. I will not kid myself that my 4 door lark is in the "prestigious" bracket. (even with the flashy paint) But it is still a Stude and it is still worth saving and maintaining. This is what makes is special to me.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh54/tutone63/63larkside-1.jpg
She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

tutone63
03-11-2008, 02:12 PM
In response to Dick's Question, I have to say that if Studebakers were not more affordable than many other classics, especially the Orphans, I definetly would not be able to have mine. I will not kid myself that my 4 door lark is in the "prestigious" bracket. (even with the flashy paint) But it is still a Stude and it is still worth saving and maintaining. This is what makes is special to me.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh54/tutone63/63larkside-1.jpg
She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

JRoberts
03-11-2008, 03:19 PM
I got into Studebakers about 15 years ago rather than other old cars for two reasons:
1. The people I met in the Studbaker hobby were much more
friendly and open to regular folks than other automobile
hobbists were.
2. I could afford a Studebaker and the parts to bring it back to
life.

I hope neither of these change.

JRoberts
03-11-2008, 03:19 PM
I got into Studebakers about 15 years ago rather than other old cars for two reasons:
1. The people I met in the Studbaker hobby were much more
friendly and open to regular folks than other automobile
hobbists were.
2. I could afford a Studebaker and the parts to bring it back to
life.

I hope neither of these change.

JDP
03-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Well, the reserve got stomped on, so the Buy It Now went away.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

JDP
03-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Well, the reserve got stomped on, so the Buy It Now went away.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

Roscomacaw
03-12-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm guessin' this wagon's gonna do better'n 5K. WHY (unless someone's just playin' Russian Roulette) would you bid past the BIN??? Maybe they just don't understand.[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
03-12-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm guessin' this wagon's gonna do better'n 5K. WHY (unless someone's just playin' Russian Roulette) would you bid past the BIN??? Maybe they just don't understand.[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

bams50
03-12-2008, 04:52 PM
StudeDave57 wrote this on 1/28/08:

"It's a good thing you got to it first JDP, I'd have been all over this one!!!
Sometimes a 'more done' car is a better place to start~"

Now's your chance, Dave- GO GET 'ER![8D]

Parish, central NY 13131

bams50
03-12-2008, 04:52 PM
StudeDave57 wrote this on 1/28/08:

"It's a good thing you got to it first JDP, I'd have been all over this one!!!
Sometimes a 'more done' car is a better place to start~"

Parish, central NY 13131

StudeDave57
03-12-2008, 05:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

Robert (Bob) Andrews

That's not going to happen!!! I only have so much $$$ to play with. At the 'asking' price this car was originally offered to us for it was a deal- it's not that much of a deal anymore, though it has been improved upon a bit...

StudeDave [8D]

StudeDave57
03-12-2008, 05:11 PM

Robert (Bob) Andrews

That's not going to happen!!! I only have so much $$$ to play with. At the 'asking' price this car was originally offered to us for it was a deal- it's not that much of a deal anymore, though it has been improved upon a bit...

StudeDave [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
03-12-2008, 05:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
WHY (unless someone's just playin' Russian Roulette) would you bid past the BIN??? Maybe they just don't understand.[xx(]

They didn't bid past the BIN. The BIN was $4k. High bid is $3305. Reserve must have been around $3300. If the high bid stands (unlikely), the bidder will actually be able to buy it for less than the BIN. Probably their goal, although the two top bidders are rookies and this may not have been their thought process.

Dick Steinkamp
03-12-2008, 05:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
WHY (unless someone's just playin' Russian Roulette) would you bid past the BIN??? Maybe they just don't understand.[xx(]

They didn't bid past the BIN. The BIN was $4k. High bid is $3305. Reserve must have been around $3300. If the high bid stands (unlikely), the bidder will actually be able to buy it for less than the BIN. Probably their goal, although the two top bidders are rookies and this may not have been their thought process.

bams50
03-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Right... the BIN disappears once the reserve is reached. The BIN can get you the car now, but if you think it will go for substantially less, just bid what you want. At this point the buyer would save $695. Of course, you are taking the gamble that another buyer will out-bid you, or bid against you beyond what the BIN was. This happens fairly frequently on flashier cars with decent BINs.

In this case, a Studebaker, wagon, yellow, it may prove to be a good strategy. If it goes above $4K, not so much;)

Parish, central NY 13131

bams50
03-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Right... the BIN disappears once the reserve is reached. The BIN can get you the car now, but if you think it will go for substantially less, just bid what you want. At this point the buyer would save $695. Of course, you are taking the gamble that another buyer will out-bid you, or bid against you beyond what the BIN was. This happens fairly frequently on flashier cars with decent BINs.

In this case, a Studebaker, wagon, yellow, it may prove to be a good strategy. If it goes above $4K, not so much;)

Parish, central NY 13131

JDP
03-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Bams, the BIN now IS gone, it hit reserve at 3K, and will sell to the high bidder.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

JDP
03-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Bams, the BIN now IS gone, it hit reserve at 3K, and will sell to the high bidder.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

Dick Steinkamp
03-12-2008, 06:10 PM
The BIN can get you the car now,

Once the reserve is met, the BIN goes away. The BIN CAN NOT get you the car now.

Dick Steinkamp
03-12-2008, 06:10 PM

Once the reserve is met, the BIN goes away. The BIN CAN NOT get you the car now.

bams50
03-12-2008, 06:19 PM

Sorry, I know that; just wasn't clear. I meant, when the reserve hasn't yet been met, the BIN can get you the car at that point... should have put that instead of "now"...[:I]

Parish, central NY 13131

bams50
03-12-2008, 06:19 PM

Sorry, I know that; just wasn't clear. I meant, when the reserve hasn't yet been met, the BIN can get you the car at that point... should have put that instead of "now"...[:I]

Parish, central NY 13131