This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humor in December '06 Hot Rod

There's a second good reason to buy the December 2006 Hot Rod, a reason that could be easily overlooked by many purchasers. [:0] (The primary reason, of course, is the excellent June 2006 Studebaker coverage of adventures at The Martin MI Dragway.)

The second reason is the single-page (Page 18, to be exact) Editor-in-Chief's Letter, entitled Starting Line. Therein, Editor David Freiburger reports having recently borrowed a friend's 1968 Dodge Dart and driving it around for awhile. His "report" is great and will be appreciated by most SDCers, in that he extols the simplicity of the Dart as compared to modern iron, humorously skewering modern "improvements" with every word.

Example: "When you've got a '68 Dart, you don't have theatre lighting or an inside rearview mirror with its own wiring harness...and you never have to linger on the front porch, wondering if the headlights will actually shut off. The car knew you meant it when you hit the switch the first time." [}]

Editor Freiburger goes on for a full two columns of text with such observations, all guaranteed to lighten your day. (Realistically, this isn't much off topic; 1967-1969 Dodge Darts and 1964-1966 Studebaker sedans have virtually the same persona.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I have found the last few issues of Hot Rod actually worth buying. Nice to see they have come back from the doldrums. Car Craft was a great magazine when David Freiburger was at the helm too.
    Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

I have found the last few issues of Hot Rod actually worth buying. Nice to see they have come back from the doldrums. Car Craft was a great magazine when David Freiburger was at the helm too.
      Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tstclr

Todd
        63 Lark 2dr Sedan
        True, Todd...and watch your junk mail!

Last spring, I got a junk mail -oops, mass-mailing- pitch to subscribe to Hot Rod at the astonishingly-low price of $15 -FIFTEEN BUCKS- for 24 issues...and that included a nifty Hot Rod cap if payment was sent with the order, [:0] so I subscribed and sent payment. If the cap was worth $5, that's about 42 cents per issue(!) for the magazine, including the postage to deliver it.

The cap arrived post haste and was unusually nice, and the first six issues of Hot Rod received, so far, have included the feature on Ted and The Chicken Hawk (August) and now this December issue with Studes again written up positively.

Yes, they are coming back. That's good news. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tstclr

Todd
          63 Lark 2dr Sedan
          True, Todd...and watch your junk mail!

Last spring, I got a junk mail -oops, mass-mailing- pitch to subscribe to Hot Rod at the astonishingly-low price of $15 -FIFTEEN BUCKS- for 24 issues...and that included a nifty Hot Rod cap if payment was sent with the order, [:0] so I subscribed and sent payment. If the cap was worth $5, that's about 42 cents per issue(!) for the magazine, including the postage to deliver it.

The cap arrived post haste and was unusually nice, and the first six issues of Hot Rod received, so far, have included the feature on Ted and The Chicken Hawk (August) and now this December issue with Studes again written up positively.

Yes, they are coming back. That's good news. BP

Comment

Working...
          X