For those who've never been to York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who've never been to York

Here's a picture of the overall scene (for the most part!) at the Fairgrounds:

The car corral is in the front, the main building is to the right, secondary building to the left. Behind me in this picture is the road along the front of the Fairgrounds. To the right of the main building is the outdoor vendor space (where Guido, Bumper Boyz, and others set up) shown here:

To the far right of that is the main access road, and beyond that is a huge covered grandstand with a track in front of it.

And here's Guido at his setup, plying his trade:

It's not as big in size at it sometimes sounds, but there IS a pretty substantial amount of stuff there- and all Stude, all the time![^]

Definitely a must-do for Stude lovers[8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Thanks Bob... Don't know if I'll ever make it there, but your photo essay puts it all in persepctive.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Thanks Bob... Don't know if I'll ever make it there, but your photo essay puts it all in persepctive.

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar
      3E-6/7-122
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Well thanks a lot Bob, I am sure there are lots and lots of us on the West Coast that have never, and would never think of going that far for a Swap Meet!

I have never been there, and this year Doc and I came close to doing it until we got to figuring. I think it was around $1400-1500.00 for gasoline plus Motels and food and the meet fees, plus a lot of driving time or a quick Airline flight and no way to sell anything, and no way way to buy anything much and haul home unless we pay big-time for a container or some such thing, we actually thought about renting a U-Haul Truck for the return trip, but it would just be one BIG loss, we'd have to buy GOLD instead of Stude. parts!
        Meeting all of the East Coast Forum members would have been neat, but you guys aren't worth THAT much! [:0] LOL!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well thanks a lot Bob, I am sure there are lots and lots of us on the West Coast that have never, and would never think of going that far for a Swap Meet!

I have never been there, and this year Doc and I came close to doing it until we got to figuring. I think it was around $1400-1500.00 for gasoline plus Motels and food and the meet fees, plus a lot of driving time or a quick Airline flight and no way to sell anything, and no way way to buy anything much and haul home unless we pay big-time for a container or some such thing, we actually thought about renting a U-Haul Truck for the return trip, but it would just be one BIG loss, we'd have to buy GOLD instead of Stude. parts!
          Meeting all of the East Coast Forum members would have been neat, but you guys aren't worth THAT much! [:0] LOL!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Speaking of York, I finally got my rollback home tonight. To expedite things, I had a mobile mechanic put the new fuel lift pump on it Thursday so I could have my wife drop me off and bring it home.

After I met the mechanic there and paid him the truck would not start. I check both fuel filters and they were low. Filled them up and was able to get the truck to crank. However, it died within 2 minutes. Would not start and filled the filters again with the same result.

Pulled the pump and was able to actuate the arm and get fuel. Filled the filters again and got it started only to have it die again. Tried another time with the same result. Put a test light on the kill switch and was getting power but could not hear of feel it "click". I pulled the housing and pulled the spring off the switch and put everything back together and filled the filters again. Once again it started and then died in a little over a minute.

Filled the filters again and checked my lines and filters for tightness. Turns out the line from the primary filter was loose (from when it first died at the pump) and upon tightening it, off I went. My wife and youngest daughter waited 2 hours for me to do all this, but at least I got the truck home.

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Speaking of York, I finally got my rollback home tonight. To expedite things, I had a mobile mechanic put the new fuel lift pump on it Thursday so I could have my wife drop me off and bring it home.

After I met the mechanic there and paid him the truck would not start. I check both fuel filters and they were low. Filled them up and was able to get the truck to crank. However, it died within 2 minutes. Would not start and filled the filters again with the same result.

Pulled the pump and was able to actuate the arm and get fuel. Filled the filters again and got it started only to have it die again. Tried another time with the same result. Put a test light on the kill switch and was getting power but could not hear of feel it "click". I pulled the housing and pulled the spring off the switch and put everything back together and filled the filters again. Once again it started and then died in a little over a minute.

Filled the filters again and checked my lines and filters for tightness. Turns out the line from the primary filter was loose (from when it first died at the pump) and upon tightening it, off I went. My wife and youngest daughter waited 2 hours for me to do all this, but at least I got the truck home.

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Hey Rich-

Next year start planning early and get yourself a cheap flight! I'll pick you up at whatever airport you fly into. You can stay at the Super 8 for $49.95, and you can use my vehicle to get around. If you buy anything I'll pack and ship it to you.

I bet you could do it pretty cheap this way; come see it at least once!!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Hey Rich-

Next year start planning early and get yourself a cheap flight! I'll pick you up at whatever airport you fly into. You can stay at the Super 8 for $49.95, and you can use my vehicle to get around. If you buy anything I'll pack and ship it to you.

I bet you could do it pretty cheap this way; come see it at least once!!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Gary, sorry for the irritaton you got from your truck.

For future reference, any time you open up the fuel system on a diesel you need to may need to bleed off any air in the system, or they can be a bugger to start[}] That can even happen if you run it out of fuel!Sometimes you can bypass that if you can tow-start it.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Gary, sorry for the irritaton you got from your truck.

For future reference, any time you open up the fuel system on a diesel you need to may need to bleed off any air in the system, or they can be a bugger to start[}] That can even happen if you run it out of fuel!Sometimes you can bypass that if you can tow-start it.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Hey Rich-

Parish, central NY 13131
                        Geez Bob, better be careful - with that kind of deal you might get a bunch of us flying out there - you'll have to convert Sanford into a Bus!

<h5>Mark
                        '57 Transtar
                        3E-6/7-122
                        </h5>
                        Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Hey Rich-

Parish, central NY 13131
                          Geez Bob, better be careful - with that kind of deal you might get a bunch of us flying out there - you'll have to convert Sanford into a Bus!

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar
                          3E-6/7-122
                          </h5>
                          Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

Holy Crap! Are those winter coats and gloves everyone is wearing [:0]???

I'll probably try to make it next year. I'm hoping to get to S/B in May.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1826.83)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Holy Crap! Are those winter coats and gloves everyone is wearing [:0]???

I'll probably try to make it next year. I'm hoping to get to S/B in May.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1826.83)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X