Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker Car-Watch, whassup with those?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Car-Watch, whassup with those?

At our North Star Chapter Meeting today one of our members showed this Studebaker Car-Watch. Sorry for the fuzzy phone picture. From the Shield emblem on it we think it must be from the fifties. It reads, "Studebaker Car-Watch Automatic". It's some 3" or less in diameter. He thought it goes in the steering wheel's horn button.

Anyway, it's way cool and in perfect condition.

Does anyone have any background details on such an item? Is there an accessory number for it?

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

I've seen such an item for VWs. It sported a self-winding mechanisim that was wound due to the turning of the steering wheel.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I've seen such an item for VWs. It sported a self-winding mechanisim that was wound due to the turning of the steering wheel.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That is really cool, must be early 50 to what 57 by the crest.If it is ahorn button I bet it would confuse the judging staff.

Comment

That is really cool, must be early 50 to what 57 by the crest.If it is ahorn button I bet it would confuse the judging staff.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Yep, that's how this one is kept wound.BTW, at the bottom of the face it also says "Switzerland". I reckon this means it's NOT a South Bend car-watch

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
            sigpic
            Bob Shaw
            Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Yep, that's how this one is kept wound.BTW, at the bottom of the face it also says "Switzerland". I reckon this means it's NOT a South Bend car-watch

BShaw,Webmaster

Woodbury, Minnesota
              sigpic
              Bob Shaw
              Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

I'd wager it was made in the last few years. Perhaps George Reitnour could chime in?
                toyman

Comment

I'd wager it was made in the last few years. Perhaps George Reitnour could chime in?
                  toyman

Comment

I don't know if it was wound the same way, but Benrus made a similar steering-wheel-hub watch for DeSotos in the mid-'50s. My grandfather had one in a '56 FireDome he had, and when my grandmother totaled the car (literally within view of the house) in '58, he kept the steering wheel. It hung on the wall of the old barn just inside the door, and was an interesting conversation piece for a good many years, but it "disappeared" when we tore down the old barn.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

I don't know if it was wound the same way, but Benrus made a similar steering-wheel-hub watch for DeSotos in the mid-'50s. My grandfather had one in a '56 FireDome he had, and when my grandmother totaled the car (literally within view of the house) in '58, he kept the steering wheel. It hung on the wall of the old barn just inside the door, and was an interesting conversation piece for a good many years, but it "disappeared" when we tore down the old barn.

Comment

Working...
                      X