Pine trees at the south bend proving grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pine trees at the south bend proving grounds

Hey guys, I came across this and could not find any threads about it.

Back in 1937, when Studebaker was still going strong (and 85 years old at the time, going back to their wagon-building days), the company planted 5,000 pine trees at their proving grounds outside South Bend, Indiana. 41 years after the final Stude- a Cruiser- rolled off the assembly line, the trees' message is still…

5000 pine trees were planted at the south bend proving grounds. From the sky they spell STUDEBAKER. The trees are still there and have picnic tables inside some of th letters!

One thing that is for sure is the only way they will come down is if the wind blows them down. They have been there longer than I am old and that's a very long time!!
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

One thing that is for sure is the only way they will come down is if the wind blows them down. They have been there longer than I am old and that's a very long time!!
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

5/5/07 http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...roving,grounds

quote:Originally posted by Kenny

Back in 1937, when Studebaker was still going strong (and 85 years old at the time, going back to their wagon-building days), the company planted 5,000 pine trees at their proving grounds outside South Bend, Indiana. 41 years after the final Stude- a Cruiser- rolled off the assembly line, the trees' message is still…

5000 pine trees were planted at the south bend proving grounds. From the sky they spell STUDEBAKER. The trees are still there and have picnic tables inside some of th letters!
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

5/5/07 http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...roving,grounds

quote:Originally posted by Kenny

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The wife 'n me had a picnic lunch next to the T in 1997.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The wife 'n me had a picnic lunch next to the T in 1997.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Growing up in SB in the 60s & 70s, every year in elementary school, we took a field trip to Bendix Woods. We had cook outs among the letters. I don't know if it's still there, but in the winter, the park had a snow making machine, and you could go skiing, or inner tubing down the hill.
                Also, State Road 2 has a long gradual hill that climbs for several miles, and peaks at the proving grounds. I never really noticed it in a car, but my Dad drove a truck for decades, and said all the truckers referred to that area as "Studebaker Hill". He even called it that up until the day he died in 1995.

Comment

Growing up in SB in the 60s & 70s, every year in elementary school, we took a field trip to Bendix Woods. We had cook outs among the letters. I don't know if it's still there, but in the winter, the park had a snow making machine, and you could go skiing, or inner tubing down the hill.
                  Also, State Road 2 has a long gradual hill that climbs for several miles, and peaks at the proving grounds. I never really noticed it in a car, but my Dad drove a truck for decades, and said all the truckers referred to that area as "Studebaker Hill". He even called it that up until the day he died in 1995.

Comment

Working...
                  X