Wheel and Tire Advice, Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel and Tire Advice, Anyone?

I just purchased a 1956 Studebaker 1-ton truck. It has the old split rims and bias ply tires. I'd like to replace both the rims and tires. I'm not finding a lot of good information on where to go or who to use, though I've been searching since I purchased it two weeks ago. My local tire shop doesn't even want to touch the tires/rims. Oh, it has a dually on the rear, that is also making the search interesting. Thanks in advance for your advice, suggestions, comments.

Are these 16 inch rims? You might try Stockton or some other aftermarket supplier and also placing a post on Studebaker Truck Talk (http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/).

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Are these 16 inch rims? You might try Stockton or some other aftermarket supplier and also placing a post on Studebaker Truck Talk (http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/).

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I thought I saw a Toyota or Nissan 1-ton dually with huge five lug pattern, reminded me of the one on my 49 Stude 2-ton.

Comment

I thought I saw a Toyota or Nissan 1-ton dually with huge five lug pattern, reminded me of the one on my 49 Stude 2-ton.

Comment

I have never had a 56. I had a 47 one ton but I think the lug pattern was different. Do you have 5 lugs or what? duals on rear? What size wheels? 16,20 or something else.

Tex in Alabama
            53 C coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I have never had a 56. I had a 47 one ton but I think the lug pattern was different. Do you have 5 lugs or what? duals on rear? What size wheels? 16,20 or something else.

Tex in Alabama
              53 C coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

quote:Originally posted by truegrace

I just purchased a 1956 Studebaker 1-ton truck. It has the old split rims and bias ply tires. I'd like to replace both the rims and tires. I'm not finding a lot of good information on where to go or who to use, though I've been searching since I purchased it two weeks ago. My local tire shop doesn't even want to touch the tires/rims. Oh, it has a dually on the rear, that is also making the search interesting. Thanks in advance for your advice, suggestions, comments.
                Truegrace - Where are you located? This doesn't happen to be a '56 1 Ton that came from the BC Interior did it?

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by truegrace

Truegrace - Where are you located? This doesn't happen to be a '56 1 Ton that came from the BC Interior did it?

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

They are 16" split rims. There are duallies in the rear. The lug pattern is 6 bolt with 7 1/4 bolt spacing.

We are located in Sierra Vista, AZ. The truck came from Phoenix area a few weeks ago.

Comment

They are 16" split rims. There are duallies in the rear. The lug pattern is 6 bolt with 7 1/4 bolt spacing.

We are located in Sierra Vista, AZ. The truck came from Phoenix area a few weeks ago.

Comment

I have heard that International 1 Ton Trucks had the same wheel with one piece rims, if you have an old Truck wrecking yard near you.

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have heard that International 1 Ton Trucks had the same wheel with one piece rims, if you have an old Truck wrecking yard near you.

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sounds like 5 lug Bud wheels with 8" bolt circle which I believe were common on most makes of one ton trucks till around late 60's.
                            Should use 1 1/2" wrench size lug nuts.

Comment

Sounds like 5 lug Bud wheels with 8" bolt circle which I believe were common on most makes of one ton trucks till around late 60's.
                              Should use 1 1/2" wrench size lug nuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X