Brake drum interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake drum interchange

I have a 52 Studebaker Champion in need of brake drums. Are there drums that will interchange with the same bolt pattern. Thank you.
    Joe

Just other Champion drums will interchange.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Daytona HT/4 speed
    63 Lark 2 door
    57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

You want 51 up to get the 5 bolt pattern. I don't know how many years used the right size, but it was several. There should be a fair number out there.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

For a bolt-on, you have three choices: 1951, '52,'53 Stude. Champion, unfortunately thats about it, unless you find something like a '51 Kaiser or Frazier!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Alternatively, you could swap the complete backing plates and brake assemblies from a Commander or any later model. That gives better brakes.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I am not sure that Champion brake DRUMS later than 53 won't fit a 52. I used a drum off a 54 Champion on my 52 several years ago with no problem. I think the only real difference in the 54 up brakes is that the old style self adjusters are not used. I believe if you check you will find that the size of the drum is the same.( At least it worked for me.)
            If you are doing a complete brake rebuild I would consider the later V-8 brakes. I intend to change my 52 Champion over when I put it back on the road. Champion brakes are not very good for today's traffic and the extra cost if you are doing a complete rebuild would not be that bad. If you already have good brakes and just need to replace a drum then it may be a different matter.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
            X