Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 Engine swap

Has any one put a LT4 or LS1 Corvette engine in a 1966
    sedan? Mine has a 700R4 transmission already.
    Any tips help full.
    It is difficult to sell a four door, might as well
    make a street rod!
    Thanks,
    Chuck

Since the car came with a 283 chevy a 350 should fit right in. Exhaust manifold clearance may be tight around the steering box though.

63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

Comment

If you car came with a 283, then the 350 is a bolt in. You can use you 283 exhaust and some of the accessories. use your 283 oil pan if there is a clearance problem here.

.Tex in Al.
      53 C coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

The LS1 is not the traditional "small block". It is a very different design than a "350". 6 main bearings, different bore and stroke, different exhaust port configuration, etc. I really don't know for sure if it bolts where a Gen I or Gen II small block would bolt.

The LT series (Gen II) shares few (if any) parts with a traditional Chevy small block (Gen I), but since it is based on the Gen I motor, I would guess it would bolt where a 283 bolted.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

my bad. I was thinking of the old style 350. didn't mean to mislead

Tex in Alabama
          53 C Coupe

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Someone makes a bracket that bolts to the block of a LSX engine so that it will attach to a Gen 1 mount location. It's been a long time since I saw these so I'm not sure where to send you for them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Oh yeah, it sure can be done IF you are an experienced wrench at this sort of thing AND you acquire the totally complete engine/trans assembly out of a salvage donor vehicle, including the wiring harness and ecm. These units are much in demand, so be ready with much quick cash. Not a project for the CASO, but as time passes prices will level off. Then, there is not only the fit of the engine/trans into your old car, but of integrating the wiring harness of the engine/trans into your car, so that it will start and run without any quirky problems. That said, I was looking over a 2008 Suburban with the 6.0 or whatever today, and noticed how clean the design really is once you get beneath the wiring and gizmos on top of the engine. Like the old small-block. They are a gutsy-sounding powerhouse of an engine, too.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
              X