PDA

View Full Version : help needed '37 vent window......

Jimmy Clarke
10-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Hey everybody, Hope someone out there can help me solve a problem that's been bugging the heck out of me....I purchased my '37 coupe express (dictator should have the same set-up) with the door/vent windows disassembled. Long story short, can't figure out the correct set-up for the vent window. Is there a divider between the vent and door window? If so, is it the "H" shaped, 12 1/2" chrome piece as shown in the below photo album link (2nd picture)? Seems like one side of the "H" would slide into the tail end of the vent, but it's a little too long? I am currently compiling a list of other questions for Jeff Rice, but he's super busy with a move right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. http://community.webshots.com/user/Jimmy655 jclarke1@ec.rr.com

37CoupeE
10-14-2006, 05:33 AM
The divider on the vent window is a H shape.
To open the vent window you must first roll down the side window a small amount.
When the vent window is closed the side window locks into this H.

Mike

37CoupeE
10-14-2006, 05:36 AM
I believe that the H shaped piece attaches to the side window.
And moves with it now that I think about it.
I would have to look to be sure.

Jimmy Clarke
10-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks '37 coupe E, I'll be keeping an eye out, to see what you come up with. Thanks, Jimmy

Roscomacaw
10-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Jimmy,

What Stude did here (as early as '41 for sure - maybe earlier) was to use an L-shaped piece on the front edge of the door glass. The "L" had a fuzzy liner that the vent window could close against and yet it was free to be opened and swung out without having to fiddle with the door glass first.
I've got a body book here that covers your CE and the one lousy depiction of the piece you're asking about is kinda iffy but I feel safe to say that it's what you're dealing with - looking at the photo you put up.
It DOES show that it mounts to the front edge of the door glass tho. Of course, since it says each vehicle uses TWO of this part number (265352), it would seem to indicate that there's not a left and right as is the case with the dividers for later model Studes. Surely, it's held to the glass with the same rubber set strip as it mounts to the channel with. Then I'd bet the groove that the vent window fits into was lined with fuzzy whisker stuff to prevent rattling!:D
Lousy as the illustration is, it DOES show a track that guides the the door glass back a bit as you first start to roll it down! This would validate what 37CE said about having to lower the door glass a smidge to be able to swing the vent glass out.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

37CoupeE
10-14-2006, 04:28 PM
I looked at my truck and here is the way the H channels are mounted and work.
If you look at the end of the channel, You will see that one half of the channel is folded back to the inside.
This side attaches to the moveable window door glass. (Not vent window)
The H channel is the length of the side windows and mounts from the lower glass channel to the top of this window.
The vent window glass extends to the end of the tabs on the chrome vent window frame.
The H channel is longer than the vent window glass and extends down into the door.
To close the windows, You close the vent window, when you raise or lower the door glass the last 1/4 turn of the regulator moves the window glass and H channel forward locking or unlocking the vent window with the H channel.
Hope this helps, if needed I can take pictures.
I do not believe that Jeff Rice has vent windows in his Coupe Express.
It will create and interesting situation because the back of the cab is wider than the front and if you drive in wet weather without the vent windows, rain will get the panels behind the driver quite wet.
My truck will be featured in an upcoming issue of Classic Trucks Magazine after winning a Classic Trucks Top 10 at the Waukesha Goodguys Show.

37CoupeE
10-14-2006, 04:30 PM
1937 had a H shaped channel used not a L shaped like the later models.

Jimmy Clarke
10-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Thank you guys, so much, for your help! All I can do is try and help someone else, in the future. I'm starting to "get the picture", in my minds eye, as far as the basic function here but I'm still a little confused concerning one aspect....how are the vent and door windows phyically sealed from the weather, when in the closed position? When the door window is raised, what produces the sealing effect between the vent widow side (forward side) of the door window "H", and the vent window trailing edge? Is it something as simple as a rubber seal installed in the vent side "H" slot, and if so, is an NOS part available, or can I fabricate one?....or am I "off base" here, with another configuration used to seal? Thanks again, and yes pictures would be great, Jimmy jclarke1@ec.rr.com

Roscomacaw
10-14-2006, 06:50 PM
You've got it figured out OK. I wasn't trying to be deceptive when I talked about an L-shaped piece on later cars. I was just noting what I was familiar with. Your's should have the H-shaped piece you speak of, and yes, it seals against the vent window's edge as the side glass is rolled up. That's what I was talking about when I said that it has a "track" that causes the side glass to step backwards a bit as you start to roll it down. In so doing, it pulls the H away from the vent glass and allows it to be swung open.
Just get a lenght of the cat whisker stuff from a local glass shop. Use good contact cement to glue it into the front channel of that H and then trim the excess with a single-edge razor.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Jimmy Clarke
10-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Mr. Biggs & Mike.....Thanks for hanging in there with me guys, but I still have my head stuck a little south of my belt. Here's what my problem narrows down to: If I were to take the "H" bar(by hand), and push it up against the trailing edge of the vent window, there would still be a significant gap. This is because the vent frame and frame vent glass holding tab protrudes father out, than the vent glass itself. Even the larger "H" opening isn't wide enough to get any kind of "protective bite" on the trailing edge of the vent window? The only thing I can quess, is that there is a special rubber seal that is designed to slide into the "H" slot, and provide some type of a pressure seal on the vent widow, under slight pressure? Is that what your refering to? Thanks again, Jimmy

37CoupeE
10-14-2006, 08:59 PM
The glass for the vent window extends out about 1/16 inch beyond the tab on the chrome vent window frame.
If the glass is not long enough it will not lock into the H as designed.
On my truck the drivers side was a little short and it just barely seats in the H channel.
As was stated, the inside of the H channel facing the vent window has the fuzzies in it.
It is a fun job replacing the seal around the vent window and window frame Steele used too sell them.

Jimmy Clarke
10-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Mike,

That makes sense. Do I notch the glass, or bend the retaining tabs further away from the frame, to allow 8th in. extension of window beyond frame? Steele does have the vent seals for 131.00 a pr. As far as I can tell the vent window can't be removed from the molding without grinding at lest one piviot. I'm hoping I can replace the vent rubber without removing the vent frame itself? Have you done one Mike? Thanks for all your help, I really do appreciate it! Jimmy

37CoupeE
10-15-2006, 12:44 AM
The tabs on the vent window frames are just run straight along glass.
The glass should be even or just a little bit longer than the straightened tabs.
I replaced the seals around my vent windows when I was restoring mine.
It has been a while since this was done.
I believe that I removed the rivets and removed the vent window frames.
It was not easy but it can be done with patience.
I then picked up some similar ivets at a swap meet and used them to re-atttach the frames.

Jimmy Clarke
10-15-2006, 07:16 AM
The tabs are 1/4 " long (just measured). I thought the purpose of the tabs were to keep the glass secured in the channel? My tabs are bent back 90 degrees from the bottom of the channel, forming a vertical line with the trailing edge of the vent window, apparently holding the vent window from sliding out of the channel? If this is wrong, and the tabs are supposed to be straight, with the window comming flush to the end of tab, then the "mateing" of window an "H" makes sense, and will work...but what about the security aspect? By the way, if they are supposed to be straight, I'll need new glass, that's a 1/4" wider,....correct? I work today, but will try and take some close-ups tonight, if you need them. Thank you Mike, I'm starting to regain my sanity! Jimmy

Roscomacaw
10-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Mike might know better than I being as he has a CE, but I have a C-cab truck that has vent windows of the same basic nature as what you've got. The rubber belting that secures the glass into the metal frame is all that's needed to hold it secure. There's no "tab" to insure that the glass doesn't wiggle out.
Yes, it SOUNDS like you'll need new glass and it'll need to be a bit longer. Best way to be sure is to get a shop that still has the old patterns to work with. There's a shop here in Visalia that has patterns back to the 20s! It's pricey to get them to cut stuff using these patterns but it might be the best way to assure proper dimensions.:)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe