Help!!! Buggy in quarantine.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!! Buggy in quarantine.....

Some of you may recall that I sold a Studebaker buggy to Ian Mackellar after the Reedsville Swap meet. Ian took it back to California with Bob Peterson and then had it shipped home to Australia.

It seems the customs folks down under have it in quarantine as they can not determine what the seat padding material is. The buggy was original and my guess is that it is horsehair. They seem to think it may be straw which is a prohibited import item. Having seen it I know that it is not straw, but could possibly be some sort of other natural plant material, i.e hemp or sisal. Does anyone know what Studebaker used?

By the way, I have e-mailed Andy Beckman and Tony Smith at the SNM asking for their input. Any thoughts?

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

quote:Originally posted by Guido
    Having seen it I know that it is not straw, but could possibly be some sort of other natural plant material, i.e hemp or sisal. Does anyone know what Studebaker used?
    Sounds like your typical 'red tape', if you ask me. The best bet would probably an old sales brochure on one. It would be in there one would find something on ride comfort, etc. Remember the later brochures on the cars often had cutaway diagrams showing how they used coils springs in the seats.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido
      Having seen it I know that it is not straw, but could possibly be some sort of other natural plant material, i.e hemp or sisal. Does anyone know what Studebaker used?
      Sounds like your typical 'red tape', if you ask me. The best bet would probably an old sales brochure on one. It would be in there one would find something on ride comfort, etc. Remember the later brochures on the cars often had cutaway diagrams showing how they used coils springs in the seats.

Craig

Comment

Gary, think you might want to get in touch with Richard Quinn. I bet he may be able to help you. Also Andy B should be able too also as I bet he may be able to find the production records in the archives. Also someone needs to contact the AACA Museum about the firetruck. They are waiting on letter of intent from you all. DJ
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Gary, think you might want to get in touch with Richard Quinn. I bet he may be able to help you. Also Andy B should be able too also as I bet he may be able to find the production records in the archives. Also someone needs to contact the AACA Museum about the firetruck. They are waiting on letter of intent from you all. DJ
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

ford used spanish moss maybe???

27 commander 47 M5 50 2dr 51 conv. 50 starlite 37 coupe express

Comment

27 commander 47 M5 50 2dr 51 conv. 50 starlite 37 coupe express

Comment

Check with the Carriage Association Of America. They're the experts you're looking for. Problem is, most of them are old school. That is to say, you'll have to write a letter via U.S. Snail. Try this:

Yes, Studebaker used sisal and horse hair in their upholstery. Horse hair was the upper range and sisal was the lower or cheaper (sometimes they used both). Straw definately wasn't used. One way would be to turn over the seat bottom. The cover (if it has one) can be opened from a corner and they can look up to see what kind of material was used. If the seat cusion has a wood bottom, it's possible that a replacement has been installed as the old one deteriorated beyond repair. It happens with open carriages. Even then, sisal was probably used. Very few upholsterers will use straw. Check with the previous owner they might be able to put you in contact with the owner before them or restorer.

Stupidity is something that Bureaucracy is best at. Isn't it strange that the most common horse drawn vehicle in Australia was a Studebaker and now they don't want to allow one in[?]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                Lotsa Larks!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Check with the Carriage Association Of America. They're the experts you're looking for. Problem is, most of them are old school. That is to say, you'll have to write a letter via U.S. Snail. Try this:

Yes, Studebaker used sisal and horse hair in their upholstery. Horse hair was the upper range and sisal was the lower or cheaper (sometimes they used both). Straw definately wasn't used. One way would be to turn over the seat bottom. The cover (if it has one) can be opened from a corner and they can look up to see what kind of material was used. If the seat cusion has a wood bottom, it's possible that a replacement has been installed as the old one deteriorated beyond repair. It happens with open carriages. Even then, sisal was probably used. Very few upholsterers will use straw. Check with the previous owner they might be able to put you in contact with the owner before them or restorer.

Stupidity is something that Bureaucracy is best at. Isn't it strange that the most common horse drawn vehicle in Australia was a Studebaker and now they don't want to allow one in[?]

Lotsa Larks!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Ron,

Having shipped autos, auto parts, marine parts, and everything else to Australia for many years, they are very careful as to what they let in their country.
                    The timber used in crates has to be treated. The same applies to sea containers that have wood (timber) inside.
                    You can't blame them, they are on a very large island and keep control over the potential risks that arrive on their shores.

George
                    Grants Pass, Oregon
                    65 Commander 2door
                    64 Wagonaire's (1 parts car, 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)
                    63 Champ
                    63 GT Hawk
                    51 Champion Starlight Coupe
                    George King
                    Grants Pass, Oregon
                    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Ron,

Having shipped autos, auto parts, marine parts, and everything else to Australia for many years, they are very careful as to what they let in their country.
                      The timber used in crates has to be treated. The same applies to sea containers that have wood (timber) inside.
                      You can't blame them, they are on a very large island and keep control over the potential risks that arrive on their shores.

George
                      Grants Pass, Oregon
                      65 Commander 2door
                      64 Wagonaire's (1 parts car, 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)
                      63 Champ
                      63 GT Hawk
                      51 Champion Starlight Coupe
                      George King
                      Grants Pass, Oregon
                      64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeefrek

Yep, they did! 'Spanish Moss' is a 1967 Lincoln color!![:0]

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeefrek

Yep, they did! 'Spanish Moss' is a 1967 Lincoln color!![:0]

Craig

Comment

Gary, this is based on old buggies -- VERY old -- we had in the barn at my great-grandparents' farm. I've no idea whether or not they were Studebakers (probably not), but I know sisal when I see it, and at least one of the seats was padded with what had to be sisal. I sure hope they don't keep it quarantined over this.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Gary, this is based on old buggies -- VERY old -- we had in the barn at my great-grandparents' farm. I've no idea whether or not they were Studebakers (probably not), but I know sisal when I see it, and at least one of the seats was padded with what had to be sisal. I sure hope they don't keep it quarantined over this.

Comment

Working...
                              X