PDA

View Full Version : eBay.....sorry for the long post

loc8tor
03-05-2008, 07:29 AM
I just read a letter from ebay and in it they informed me that they are changing the default search to BEST MATCH, in a nut shell that means, the people with the highest feedback ratings will be shown first. Another change is that a new SAFER PAYMENT option may be required, this means the seller has to wait on his money until either POSITVE FEEDBACK is recieved, or until verification of delivery, or a 21 day hold period thru paypal until funds will be released. Im angered and upset and wrote the following to eBay...
There are alot of changes going on with in eBay lately. Some I agree with and some I do not. I can understand your concerne with protecting the buyer, but, in some ways it hurts the seller.
I know that there are negatives in my feedback, and as a wise person(Abraham Lincoln, I think) once said, "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you cant please all of the people all of the time". Positive feedback from a seller who sells 99% Brand new products is a lot easier to maintain, than a seller that sells used or reconditioned items. The items that I sell are mostly car parts, and most are from cars that were made before 1980. With that it brings its own issues, I might think something is considered show quality with a little work, others might consider it never any better than driver quality. And therefore because there opinion and mine differ, I might recieve a negative. Another instance would be if I were to buy a part from say an auction, flea market, or swap meet, and say thta the person who sold it to me says its NOS(new old stock) and I sell it as that on eBay, but the seller insists that it is a reproduction, then again I would recieve negative feedback. You see its not all as easy as it sounds. YES, I have negative feedback from slow shipping, some of it my fault, some of it the buyers(late payments, NO payments, shipping during the holidays, wanting the cheapest shipping possible etc etc etc), BUT I as a seller am now being penalized for all the negativity.
Another negative aspect of selling on ebay is lack of payment from buyers. I have, as many others, non paying bidder forms, and sometimes it motivates the buyer to finalize the deal, sometimes it doesnt. In the mean time I have already been charged by eBay for the fees associated with that item. My issues are the following:
1, I lost the sale
2, any other bidders who may have paid for the item may already have bid on and won another item just like mine
3, the wasted time(I now have to wait for the process to end and recieve my final value fee before I can relist-loosing more potential buyers)
4, when buyers abuse the retract a bid option, some will run the bid up to see the reserve or what the previous bidders proxy was, then, they will retract their bid and never enter another bid(and ebay states they are to enter the correct bid after the retraction).
5. I use the buyers money to pay for the shipping, I live check to check as more than 60% of those in the USA do, and cant afford to take 100s of dollars out of my pay to ship an item and then wait for positive feedback before paypal will release those funds into my account.
6. Im already paying paypal a percentage to use thier services, which I do because of the speed inwhich I get paid, now it looks like its actually going to be slower than accepting a personal check and waiing for it to clear.
I could go on and on, but I wont. I can tell you that because of the new fee system, I will not be using eBay as much as I have in the past. I feel like you are trying to push the little guy out of the system. The benefits you claim that are making ebay better are not making it better for me. Yes, you gave us free gallery, I think it used to cost less than a dollar, but the increased fees that you imposed have made it so that the seller makes less money....I already pay what I felt was alot of fees. I pay a fee to list, a fee when I sell, a fee to accept paypal, if you sell $1 items, after all the fees, you basically loose money. Then there is the monthly and per

JDP
03-05-2008, 07:50 AM
"Effective now: Reducing bad buying experiences with Best Match
When Best Match is made the new default this week, sellers with buyer dissatisfaction rates greater than 5% in the last 30 days will experience decreased exposure for their listings in search results. This affects only a small percentage of all sellers and listings, but will make a big difference for our buyers."

I think the Best match will have little effect for the Studebaker searches. If you search for a Studebaker bumper for example, there won't be many items to sort by best match and you may buy regardless of a little bad feedback. If on the other hand, you are searching for a Ipod, having the poor sellers listed last makes sense.In the long run, it'll drive out the really poor sellers that charge excessive shipping, ship slow and the rest.

I love the fact that they'll be giving credit for repeat feedback for sales to the same customers since I do so much repeat business.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

JDP
03-05-2008, 07:50 AM
"Effective now: Reducing bad buying experiences with Best Match
When Best Match is made the new default this week, sellers with buyer dissatisfaction rates greater than 5% in the last 30 days will experience decreased exposure for their listings in search results. This affects only a small percentage of all sellers and listings, but will make a big difference for our buyers."

I think the Best match will have little effect for the Studebaker searches. If you search for a Studebaker bumper for example, there won't be many items to sort by best match and you may buy regardless of a little bad feedback. If on the other hand, you are searching for a Ipod, having the poor sellers listed last makes sense.In the long run, it'll drive out the really poor sellers that charge excessive shipping, ship slow and the rest.

I love the fact that they'll be giving credit for repeat feedback for sales to the same customers since I do so much repeat business.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

65cruiser
03-05-2008, 09:15 AM
I said this before and got hammered pretty good here when I suggested a boycott of Ebay for a week after they announced their new fee structure and feedback policy. But, what Ebay is trying to do is eliminate the little guy in favor of the power sellers and Ebay stores. The CEO even said that Ebay had turned into a flea market and they were looking for the "mall" experience.

It's true at this point there is no other venue to turn to, but I predict Ebay is going to change a lot, and a lot of people (who happen to like flea markets and swap meets) aren't going to be happy. Ebay is definitely leaning to please the buyers, not the sellers. Yet, it's the sellers that make Ebay all their money.

Go figure.[}:)]

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA
Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

http://home.alltel.net/anderm/images/sebring.jpg

65cruiser
03-05-2008, 09:15 AM
I said this before and got hammered pretty good here when I suggested a boycott of Ebay for a week after they announced their new fee structure and feedback policy. But, what Ebay is trying to do is eliminate the little guy in favor of the power sellers and Ebay stores. The CEO even said that Ebay had turned into a flea market and they were looking for the "mall" experience.

It's true at this point there is no other venue to turn to, but I predict Ebay is going to change a lot, and a lot of people (who happen to like flea markets and swap meets) aren't going to be happy. Ebay is definitely leaning to please the buyers, not the sellers. Yet, it's the sellers that make Ebay all their money.

Go figure.[}:)]

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!

jnewkirk77
03-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Amen, Mark. I've not listed a single thing on eBay since the changeover, and don't plan to. It's becoming more and more ridiculous all the time, and I've just had my fill of it.

I do watch some of the Studes and Ford trucks on there just for kicks, but as for selling, I do believe I'm finished.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

jnewkirk77
03-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Amen, Mark. I've not listed a single thing on eBay since the changeover, and don't plan to. It's becoming more and more ridiculous all the time, and I've just had my fill of it.

I do watch some of the Studes and Ford trucks on there just for kicks, but as for selling, I do believe I'm finished.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Scott
03-05-2008, 09:28 AM
There are alternative auction sites online, but they are small and relatively hard to find. Unless and until many people get sick and tired of dealing on eBay, the likelihood of the alternatives growing is slim to none.

Scott
03-05-2008, 09:28 AM
There are alternative auction sites online, but they are small and relatively hard to find. Unless and until many people get sick and tired of dealing on eBay, the likelihood of the alternatives growing is slim to none.

65cruiser
03-05-2008, 10:24 AM
I've recently started selling vintage guitars on Ebay and really felt the price increase on the last 3 I sold. I'm going to have to up my commission to make up for the difference. I don't sell enough to be a power seller so I can't get any of those discounts.

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA

65cruiser
03-05-2008, 10:24 AM
I've recently started selling vintage guitars on Ebay and really felt the price increase on the last 3 I sold. I'm going to have to up my commission to make up for the difference. I don't sell enough to be a power seller so I can't get any of those discounts.

Mark Anderson
Member SDC and FMCA

studeefrek
03-05-2008, 10:35 AM
there is always ebid [another auction ] and suppose there are outher sites as was said they are hard to find if enough people change maybe ebay will wake up bernie 50 2dr 51 conv 37 coupe express 50 starlite 47 m5 27 commander 62 cushman

studeefrek
03-05-2008, 10:35 AM
there is always ebid [another auction ] and suppose there are outher sites as was said they are hard to find if enough people change maybe ebay will wake up bernie 50 2dr 51 conv 37 coupe express 50 starlite 47 m5 27 commander 62 cushman

Sonny
03-06-2008, 12:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by Scott

I just don't believe that "the likelihood of the alternatives growing is slim to none" Scotty. In fact, I just bet a ton of money and effort on a new auction website of my own. ebay has gotten to the point where ANYthing/everything they do makes no sense. No sense unless a fella views much of what they do as just a day in the life of another billion dollar, mega-corporation. The best bottom line for ebay will ALWAYS be in ebay's favor. The ONLY way to do anything about the way you're treated at ebay is to get into their pocket. You do that by voting with your feet, and that's exactly what I did.

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my auction site. I plan to spend the money to advertise. I DO need people to list items and bid, I'm hoping that I can depend on the Studebaker community to support one of their own. I've said before, I did my auction the way I want ebay to be, but MUCH more inexpensive. Actually, I want inexpensive, uncomplicated and customer oriented, period. My auction is focused on nothing but "boys toys", including firearms.

My auction website should be totally operational by the end of the month. If you're spending more on ebay and enjoying it less, please join me in voting with our collective feet. Then and ONLY then will the mega-buck companies like ebay pay attention.....

Sonny
http://racingstudebakers.com/avatar_01.jpghttp://RacingStudebakers.com

Sonny
03-06-2008, 12:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by Scott

I just don't believe that "the likelihood of the alternatives growing is slim to none" Scotty. In fact, I just bet a ton of money and effort on a new auction website of my own. ebay has gotten to the point where ANYthing/everything they do makes no sense. No sense unless a fella views much of what they do as just a day in the life of another billion dollar, mega-corporation. The best bottom line for ebay will ALWAYS be in ebay's favor. The ONLY way to do anything about the way you're treated at ebay is to get into their pocket. You do that by voting with your feet, and that's exactly what I did.

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my auction site. I plan to spend the money to advertise. I DO need people to list items and bid, I'm hoping that I can depend on the Studebaker community to support one of their own. I've said before, I did my auction the way I want ebay to be, but MUCH more inexpensive. Actually, I want inexpensive, uncomplicated and customer oriented, period. My auction is focused on nothing but "boys toys", including firearms.

My auction website should be totally operational by the end of the month. If you're spending more on ebay and enjoying it less, please join me in voting with our collective feet. Then and ONLY then will the mega-buck companies like ebay pay attention.....

Sonny

loc8tor
03-06-2008, 06:13 AM
Sonny, email me when its up and running......

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

loc8tor
03-06-2008, 06:13 AM
Sonny, email me when its up and running......

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

ChampTrucking
03-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Sonny-post the site when it is ready PLEASE....

ChampTrucking
03-06-2008, 07:19 AM

Sonny
03-06-2008, 09:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by ChampTrucking

ChampTrucking & loc8tor, thanks a million for your response. You can bet that I'll let you fellas know when the site is up and ready to go! In fact, since you two fellas were so kind, buying or selling on my auction website will cost either of you nothing, as well as being preferred sellers/buyers, for as long as my auction website exists. That may never mean anything, but then again...

Thanks a million for your enthusiasm. I appreciate your kindness!

Sonny

Sonny
03-06-2008, 09:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by ChampTrucking

ChampTrucking & loc8tor, thanks a million for your response. You can bet that I'll let you fellas know when the site is up and ready to go! In fact, since you two fellas were so kind, buying or selling on my auction website will cost either of you nothing, as well as being preferred sellers/buyers, for as long as my auction website exists. That may never mean anything, but then again...

Thanks a million for your enthusiasm. I appreciate your kindness!

Sonny