PDA

View Full Version : Your least favorite...ouch this is going to hurt!

JDP
03-04-2008, 12:50 PM
I agree about the 58's, but with the exception of the hardtops. The side view, even with the headlight pods is still lovely IMHO.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

JDP
03-04-2008, 12:50 PM
I agree about the 58's, but with the exception of the hardtops. The side view, even with the headlight pods is still lovely IMHO.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

tutone63
03-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Okay, first let me preface this. I LOVE Studebakers!!! ALL of them. That bieng said, I have a ball I would like to toss around.
Everyone has opintions on their favorite Studes. But let us lay that aside for now, what I think would be fun is to see what everyones least favorite Stude is. Now this is all in fun, it is not intended for bashing someone elses car or anything, or to start arguments, but everyone has a Studebaker at the bottom of their list. For example, I feel that the Avanti is the least favorite of mine. Let me add, however, that I would love to own an Avanti over any other brand X out there. Whether it be a Corvette, or what have you. Do you get the feel I am getting at? I know we like them all, but everyone has at least one at the bottom. Which is yours? and if you want to...tell why. Remember this is all in fun!!

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh54/tutone63/63larkside-1.jpg
She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

52-fan
03-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Talk about stirring up a hornets nest! (No offense to Hudson fans;))
My least favorite is probably the 1957 sedans with the 56 close behind. Those models may be great cars, but the styling of the front end leaves me cold. I keep trying to imagine a really nice custom upgrade.[}:)]

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas

52-fan
03-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Talk about stirring up a hornets nest! (No offense to Hudson fans;))
My least favorite is probably the 1957 sedans with the 56 close behind. Those models may be great cars, but the styling of the front end leaves me cold. I keep trying to imagine a really nice custom upgrade.[}:)]

Allan Songer
03-04-2008, 01:24 PM
The Speedster. They took what may well be the most beautiful mass produced American car EVER and ruined it. Yuck.

There ARE uglier Studebakers, but I vote for the Speedster because of what they did to the '53 Starliner.

Allan Songer
03-04-2008, 01:24 PM
The Speedster. They took what may well be the most beautiful mass produced American car EVER and ruined it. Yuck.

There ARE uglier Studebakers, but I vote for the Speedster because of what they did to the '53 Starliner.

JBOYLE
03-04-2008, 01:26 PM
We're not talking abpout a lot of car styles here:
47-52,
53-64 C-Ks/Hawks/GTs,
53-58 sedans/wagons,
Larks/and their 64-66 offspring,
Avantis,
I like them all (I better say that here!)
But IMHO I do think some Larks were too stripped for their own good.
Look at the dash boards and some of the other features.
I look at a Lark dash and compared to my familiy's beloved 63 Rambler Classic, the Lark look like its namesake sounds...cheap, cheap. (Okay that's bad joke but somebody had to do it..:D)

By saving money on designs they simply weren't competitive with many of the compacts offered by the Big 3 and AMC.
Studes had good/great dive trains and fine styling, but were let down by a limited budget.

Owning an Avanti, it better be my favorite since I'm about to spend a lot of money on it...JDP are you listening?
I took mine out this weekend and people love it...a slack-jawed yokel in a Taurus open-mouth stared as we went side by side down the street for 3-4 blocks.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

JBOYLE
03-04-2008, 01:26 PM
We're not talking abpout a lot of car styles here:
47-52,
53-64 C-Ks/Hawks/GTs,
53-58 sedans/wagons,
Larks/and their 64-66 offspring,
Avantis,
I like them all (I better say that here!)
But IMHO I do think some Larks were too stripped for their own good.
Look at the dash boards and some of the other features.
I look at a Lark dash and compared to my familiy's beloved 63 Rambler Classic, the Lark look like its namesake sounds...cheap, cheap. (Okay that's bad joke but somebody had to do it..:D)

By saving money on designs they simply weren't competitive with many of the compacts offered by the Big 3 and AMC.
Studes had good/great dive trains and fine styling, but were let down by a limited budget.

Owning an Avanti, it better be my favorite since I'm about to spend a lot of money on it...JDP are you listening?
I took mine out this weekend and people love it...a slack-jawed yokel in a Taurus open-mouth stared as we went side by side down the street for 3-4 blocks.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

JDP
03-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Least favorite would be 42's, 53-55 sedans, 61 Larks.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

JDP
03-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Least favorite would be 42's, 53-55 sedans, 61 Larks.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

studeclunker
03-04-2008, 01:38 PM
[u]ANY </u> of the '58s. I just hate them, any of them. Except the trucks. As regards the Larks, I don't like the styling past '64, especially the single headlamps in a double headlamp grille.[xx(] Not too fond of the styling of the '55s either. Still, they are tolerable (unlike the '58s).

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

studeclunker
03-04-2008, 01:38 PM
[u]ANY </u> of the '58s. I just hate them, any of them. Except the trucks. As regards the Larks, I don't like the styling past '64, especially the single headlamps in a double headlamp grille.[xx(] Not too fond of the styling of the '55s either. Still, they are tolerable (unlike the '58s).

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

8E45E
03-04-2008, 01:40 PM
My least favorite would have to be the '47-'49 Champion. Ever seen one from the side? The stubby front end does not mate well with the nice, flowing lines from the cowl, back to the tail. It is immediately evident there were two opposing designers (Loewy & Assoiciates vs. Virgil Exner) that did the project.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2068/2311108821_030a0461b8_b.jpg

Craig

8E45E
03-04-2008, 01:40 PM
My least favorite would have to be the '47-'49 Champion. Ever seen one from the side? The stubby front end does not mate well with the nice, flowing lines from the cowl, back to the tail. It is immediately evident there were two opposing designers (Loewy & Assoiciates vs. Virgil Exner) that did the project.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2068/2311108821_030a0461b8_b.jpg

Craig

jnewkirk77
03-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Hands down, the '58 Champion/Commander/President/Packard line qualifies as mirror-shatteringly ugly. This IS going to hurt, but the '58 EDSEL was Miss America by comparison!

But would I OWN one? Well, duh! Of course I would. I've owned ugly cars before. Why change?

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

jnewkirk77
03-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Hands down, the '58 Champion/Commander/President/Packard line qualifies as mirror-shatteringly ugly. This IS going to hurt, but the '58 EDSEL was Miss America by comparison!

But would I OWN one? Well, duh! Of course I would. I've owned ugly cars before. Why change?

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Mr. Bill
03-04-2008, 02:16 PM
First of all, I love ALL Studebakers.

That being said, I feel Studebaker Corporation did not measure up to some of the competition with regards to fit/finish/appointments of some models.

For example:

The basic steering wheel of some models up through 1956. (I think this was remedied beginning in 1957) I have never seen such a plain, unattractive, downright ugly steering wheel as this one. A good example is the wheel pictured in the 56 Flight Hawk on another post. It looks like a leftover from the 30's and probably was.

The door pillars/center construction of the mid 50's sedans. Chrome overlays on the door frames and center pillars as standard equipment on President/President Classics and optional on lower series car would improve the overall look.

The 1958 models in general. At first glance, it is not that bad looking but just don't closely study the details. The rear appearance is horrible. How styling could approve those small single round tail lights is beyond me. Would not the 57 rear with the fins added been a better alternative since it was felt fins were a necessity? The front end styling looks pretty good until you notice the "bumps" on the sides of the fenders to accomodate quad lights. Would it not have been possible to engineer the pods so as not to have the "bump" on the outside of the fender and cut out around the hood to allow for the pods to be moved in towards the center?

I would like to take a 57 President Classic and have it finished in black and white. Adapt chrome to disguise the door pillars/center posts to make the car look more like a hardtop. I would add a vinyl roof covering similar to the Hypalon vinyl used on the 56 Carribean hardtops. Revamp the side trim for a cleaner look and add a set of Kelsey Hayes wires and dual antennas out back. Inside, leather interior stiched in the same pattern as the standard Classic cloth interior and full power and a NOVI air conditioning system to cool things. Next, I'd raid the parts bin and add "Executive" badging from the 56 Packard Executive to each rear fender. There I would have it, a 57 Studebaker Executive. I would them imagine this is the car customized for top Studebaker management...

That poses a question I've often thought about. Did Studebaker ever pull a car from the line and customize it, say for James Nance, Harold Churchill or Sherwood Egbert or were cars for them just fully loaded, more carefully assembled units? How about custom units specially built for the spouses or children of top Studebaker management/executives?

Bill Sapp
Hamlet, NC

Mr. Bill
03-04-2008, 02:16 PM
First of all, I love ALL Studebakers.

That being said, I feel Studebaker Corporation did not measure up to some of the competition with regards to fit/finish/appointments of some models.

For example:

The basic steering wheel of some models up through 1956. (I think this was remedied beginning in 1957) I have never seen such a plain, unattractive, downright ugly steering wheel as this one. A good example is the wheel pictured in the 56 Flight Hawk on another post. It looks like a leftover from the 30's and probably was.

The door pillars/center construction of the mid 50's sedans. Chrome overlays on the door frames and center pillars as standard equipment on President/President Classics and optional on lower series car would improve the overall look.

The 1958 models in general. At first glance, it is not that bad looking but just don't closely study the details. The rear appearance is horrible. How styling could approve those small single round tail lights is beyond me. Would not the 57 rear with the fins added been a better alternative since it was felt fins were a necessity? The front end styling looks pretty good until you notice the "bumps" on the sides of the fenders to accomodate quad lights. Would it not have been possible to engineer the pods so as not to have the "bump" on the outside of the fender and cut out around the hood to allow for the pods to be moved in towards the center?

I would like to take a 57 President Classic and have it finished in black and white. Adapt chrome to disguise the door pillars/center posts to make the car look more like a hardtop. I would add a vinyl roof covering similar to the Hypalon vinyl used on the 56 Carribean hardtops. Revamp the side trim for a cleaner look and add a set of Kelsey Hayes wires and dual antennas out back. Inside, leather interior stiched in the same pattern as the standard Classic cloth interior and full power and a NOVI air conditioning system to cool things. Next, I'd raid the parts bin and add "Executive" badging from the 56 Packard Executive to each rear fender. There I would have it, a 57 Studebaker Executive. I would them imagine this is the car customized for top Studebaker management...

That poses a question I've often thought about. Did Studebaker ever pull a car from the line and customize it, say for James Nance, Harold Churchill or Sherwood Egbert or were cars for them just fully loaded, more carefully assembled units? How about custom units specially built for the spouses or children of top Studebaker management/executives?

Bill Sapp
Hamlet, NC

51bullet
03-04-2008, 02:28 PM
There all beautifull, for many reasons, but I myself am not fond of the avanti. But hey i own a 51 4-door champion, many people dont like it, to to each , his own.

51bullet
There all beautifull, for many reasons, but I myself am not fond of the avanti. But hey i own a 51 4-door champion, many people dont like it, to to each , his own.

vegas paul
(IMHO) The wagons of the 1870's were ugly compared to the ones from the 1890's (!)

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
'51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/vegas_paul/1462673_2_350.jpg?t=1180041622 http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/vegas_paul/graciestude.jpg?t=1180041703

vegas paul
(IMHO) The wagons of the 1870's were ugly compared to the ones from the 1890's (!)

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
'51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/vegas_paul/1462673_2_350.jpg?t=1180041622 http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/vegas_paul/graciestude.jpg?t=1180041703

BobPalma
03-04-2008, 02:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr. Bill
That poses a question I've often thought about. Did Studebaker pull a car from the line and customize in this manner, say for James Nance, Harold Churchill or Sherwood Egbert? How about one for their spouses or children?

Bill Sapp
Hamlet, NC

:) Undoubtedly so, Bill.

To wit: Years ago, I was in the basement of the now-leveled Studebaker Salvage Building (then Standard Surplus), taking photos for a Turning Wheels feature article on that facility. Among the various parts sitting around was a set of used doors from a 1962 Cruiser.

The doors were equipped with power windows. [:0]

Now, we know power windows weren't offered on cars after 1958 except Avantis, but here was a set of 1962 Cruiser doors so equipped. A prototype of an option being considered? Possibly. More likely, though, they were something special that had been whipped up for an executive, because the doors were used: It was obvious from their condition that they had been in road service for some time before being removed from a car. [}:)] BP

BobPalma
03-04-2008, 02:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr. Bill
That poses a question I've often thought about. Did Studebaker pull a car from the line and customize in this manner, say for James Nance, Harold Churchill or Sherwood Egbert? How about one for their spouses or children?

Bill Sapp
Hamlet, NC

:) Undoubtedly so, Bill.

To wit: Years ago, I was in the basement of the now-leveled Studebaker Salvage Building (then Standard Surplus), taking photos for a Turning Wheels feature article on that facility. Among the various parts sitting around was a set of used doors from a 1962 Cruiser.

Now, we know power windows weren't offered on cars after 1958 except Avantis, but here was a set of 1962 Cruiser doors so equipped. A prototype of an option being considered? Possibly. More likely, though, they were something special that had been whipped up for an executive, because the doors were used: It was obvious from their condition that they had been in road service for some time before being removed from a car. [}:)] BP

52-fan
03-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Vegas Paul,
That was a good one! Can't help smiling.:D

52-fan
03-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Vegas Paul,
That was a good one! Can't help smiling.:D

glen
03-04-2008, 02:55 PM
1957's are a sure winner, in fact they're still being
produced in Moscow, for all the Russian politicans.
A close 2nd is the Speedster.....uggggly!

glen Brose - Perkinsville, AZ
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g204/glen_05/Studebakersign.jpg

glen
03-04-2008, 02:55 PM
1957's are a sure winner, in fact they're still being
produced in Moscow, for all the Russian politicans.
A close 2nd is the Speedster.....uggggly!

glen Brose - Perkinsville, AZ
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g204/glen_05/Studebakersign.jpg

JRoberts
03-04-2008, 03:00 PM
First let me say that I almost did not respond to this thread because I don't want the negativity to upset anybody.
Having said that, I do have a least favorite. The 1961 Lark has always bugged me and there is really only one thing about it that I deem as wrong. The chrome along the side does not follow the body line. I have never been able to understand the reasons behind doing that.

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser
Editor of "The Down Easterner"
Eastern North Carolina Chapter

JRoberts
03-04-2008, 03:00 PM
First let me say that I almost did not respond to this thread because I don't want the negativity to upset anybody.
Having said that, I do have a least favorite. The 1961 Lark has always bugged me and there is really only one thing about it that I deem as wrong. The chrome along the side does not follow the body line. I have never been able to understand the reasons behind doing that.

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser

N8N
03-04-2008, 03:08 PM
I am going to have to vote for the 56-58 sedans, simply because I hate that awful dashboard. Other than that they're tolerable cars; I think a 2 dr. might be quite nice with a 61-62 dash transplanted into it.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

N8N
03-04-2008, 03:08 PM
I am going to have to vote for the 56-58 sedans, simply because I hate that awful dashboard. Other than that they're tolerable cars; I think a 2 dr. might be quite nice with a 61-62 dash transplanted into it.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

tutone63
03-04-2008, 03:12 PM
It is interesting about all of the references to the 58 models. I also find it interesting that in general, most cars released in America in 1958 are regarded as the "ugly" cars from the fifties... other than Chrystler products...but that is off topic.

Love the wagons Comment Vegas Paul!!!

She may have bugs and she may have dings, but that just proves I drive this thing!!

tutone63
03-04-2008, 03:12 PM
It is interesting about all of the references to the 58 models. I also find it interesting that in general, most cars released in America in 1958 are regarded as the "ugly" cars from the fifties... other than Chrystler products...but that is off topic.

Love the wagons Comment Vegas Paul!!!

Mark57
03-04-2008, 03:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by JRoberts

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser

So Joe, how is the chrome installed on the front fenders of your '61 Champ?? :D

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar
3E-6/7-122 </h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/IMG_0028a.jpg

Mark57
03-04-2008, 03:15 PM

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar
3E-6/7-122 </h5>

Jessie J.
03-04-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Joe on the '61 models, I think that "odd" side molding placement was one factor that really turned public opinion against Lark's, and likey cost Studebaker a lot of potential future sales, as shoppers took one look, went "Bleaaah! and headed off for their nearest Ford or Chevy dealer.

Jessie J.
03-04-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Joe on the '61 models, I think that "odd" side molding placement was one factor that really turned public opinion against Lark's, and likey cost Studebaker a lot of potential future sales, as shoppers took one look, went "Bleaaah! and headed off for their nearest Ford or Chevy dealer.

Gary1953
03-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Larks 1959-61

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/gsandes50/011_11-1.jpg
Gary Sanders
Nixa, MO
President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

Gary1953
03-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Larks 1959-61

Gary Sanders
Nixa, MO
President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.

Jerry Forrester
03-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Everything that isn't a '53 K.

Jerry Forrester
Douglasville, Georgia
Be sure to check out my eBay store
http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_
for your shiny Stude stuff
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/jerrystudebaker/11Sept2007e.jpg
More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu

Jerry Forrester
03-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Everything that isn't a '53 K.

Jerry Forrester
Douglasville, Georgia
Be sure to check out my eBay store
http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_
for your shiny Stude stuff
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/jerrystudebaker/11Sept2007e.jpg
More pix of Leo the '55 Pres HT here...http://tinyurl.com/2gj6cu

Johnnywiffer
03-04-2008, 03:36 PM
OK, it seems we are talking LOOKS here, not engineering, so I gotta stand up for LOOKS of the '58s. When you look at the other cars of the era, actually the '58s were pretty similar. And even tho they were basically the same body as the '53s, they LOOKED bigger with those fins! Granted the hard tops were very nice (as was the Chryslers of that time, from which they appear to have been copied) The pod on the front was a cheap method of adding dual headlights (another necessity of the era). I guess it would have cost more to change the hood AND the fenders to put 'em in, so they went with the cheap-o way. (However, putting the single headlight in the pod made for duals looks kinda strange.) But when you look at the Studebaker AND the others, Studebaker was not so bad.

The Speedster? Sure, they sure hung chrome on it. Did the '55s as a whole outsell the '54s? Yep. Was the extra chrome a wise decision? Well, last time I looked, the auto makers were in biz to MAKE money, not friends. I much prefer the LOOKS of my '54 LC to the '55 Prez but you gotta hand it to 'em....they hung that wrap around windshield and the chrome on it...and those suckers sold!!

What would a Studebaker look like today? Would it be a gum drop like everyone else...OR would they stand out like the Hummer did, at first? Dunno. But I do know, if they were still making 'em, I'll still be buyin' 'em!

John

Johnnywiffer
03-04-2008, 03:36 PM
OK, it seems we are talking LOOKS here, not engineering, so I gotta stand up for LOOKS of the '58s. When you look at the other cars of the era, actually the '58s were pretty similar. And even tho they were basically the same body as the '53s, they LOOKED bigger with those fins! Granted the hard tops were very nice (as was the Chryslers of that time, from which they appear to have been copied) The pod on the front was a cheap method of adding dual headlights (another necessity of the era). I guess it would have cost more to change the hood AND the fenders to put 'em in, so they went with the cheap-o way. (However, putting the single headlight in the pod made for duals looks kinda strange.) But when you look at the Studebaker AND the others, Studebaker was not so bad.

The Speedster? Sure, they sure hung chrome on it. Did the '55s as a whole outsell the '54s? Yep. Was the extra chrome a wise decision? Well, last time I looked, the auto makers were in biz to MAKE money, not friends. I much prefer the LOOKS of my '54 LC to the '55 Prez but you gotta hand it to 'em....they hung that wrap around windshield and the chrome on it...and those suckers sold!!

What would a Studebaker look like today? Would it be a gum drop like everyone else...OR would they stand out like the Hummer did, at first? Dunno. But I do know, if they were still making 'em, I'll still be buyin' 'em!

John

bob40
03-04-2008, 03:40 PM
The Lark and Avanti are not on my Top 25 list but thats just me.That said there are those who dont drool over every '39-'40 Commander like I do.As far as the '58's go...I would love to own one and am currently looking for a driver quality Commander or President 4 door.Wife says she wouldnt be caught riding in a '58 so it just makes sense to get one:D;)

bob40
03-04-2008, 03:40 PM
The Lark and Avanti are not on my Top 25 list but thats just me.That said there are those who dont drool over every '39-'40 Commander like I do.As far as the '58's go...I would love to own one and am currently looking for a driver quality Commander or President 4 door.Wife says she wouldnt be caught riding in a '58 so it just makes sense to get one:D;)

gordr
03-04-2008, 03:41 PM
I'd go with the '56 - '58 sedans, simply on the basis that it appears that Studebaker tried too hard to make their product conform with that of the rest of the industry. They are nice cars, and I wouldn't arbitrarily part one out if it fell into my hands, but they simply lack a lot of the character I normally associate with Studebakers. Now, a '58J hardtop, THAT I would find room for.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

gordr
03-04-2008, 03:41 PM
I'd go with the '56 - '58 sedans, simply on the basis that it appears that Studebaker tried too hard to make their product conform with that of the rest of the industry. They are nice cars, and I wouldn't arbitrarily part one out if it fell into my hands, but they simply lack a lot of the character I normally associate with Studebakers. Now, a '58J hardtop, THAT I would find room for.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Roscomacaw
03-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Avantis[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
Avantis[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Gary1953
I would like to see a '58 hardtop with no fins and dual headlights. I know they did not make one but I think it would make a good looking car.
Also the post Matthew had several months ago of a 1956 convertible would be a greta looking car.

Gary Sanders
Nixa, MO

Gary1953
I would like to see a '58 hardtop with no fins and dual headlights. I know they did not make one but I think it would make a good looking car.
Also the post Matthew had several months ago of a 1956 convertible would be a greta looking car.

Gary Sanders
Nixa, MO

63t-cab
03-04-2008, 04:08 PM
What 8E45E said,goes for me!if I really had to choose,but I really do not want to choose!

Joseph R. Zeiger

63t-cab
03-04-2008, 04:08 PM
What 8E45E said,goes for me!if I really had to choose,but I really do not want to choose!

Joseph R. Zeiger

LarkVIII
03-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Mine would be a toss up between a 61 lark because of the weird trim placement and the 53/54 sedans because of the roof line,this was a big mismatch to the rest of the sleek,sexy body lines.

63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

LarkVIII
03-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Mine would be a toss up between a 61 lark because of the weird trim placement and the 53/54 sedans because of the roof line,this was a big mismatch to the rest of the sleek,sexy body lines.

JRoberts
03-04-2008, 04:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar
3E-6/7-122 </h5>

Well, you are right about that, but my truck has none! I don't like it on the trucks either.

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser

JRoberts
03-04-2008, 04:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar
3E-6/7-122 </h5>

Well, you are right about that, but my truck has none! I don't like it on the trucks either.

Joe Roberts
'61 R1 Champ
'65 Cruiser

lstude
03-04-2008, 04:53 PM
There was a discussion at one of the International Meets by one of the designers (I can't remember who) and the question was asked about the 61 beltline trim. He said that they were trying to make the Lark look longer and lower. That is why they lowered the roof. The severe dip in the 59 & 60 Lark made the car look shorter, so they made it flatter on the 61 and it had to be above the contour line so that it would meet the rear trunk lid. It didn't come off like they wanted.

I actually like the 61 Lark. My least favorite is the 57 sedans. I never liked the tail lights, I thought they copied the 55-56 Ford and didn't like the headlight rims.

I was only 12 years old when the 57s came out, but I read in Motor Trend that Studebaker was just going to do a face lift. I didn't understand what a face lift was and I told my Mother that the face was already too high. I really liked the 53-55s better than the 56-58s.

Leonard Shepherd
http://leonardshepherd.com/

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/lstude1/MeatSouthBendsm1.jpg

lstude
03-04-2008, 04:53 PM
There was a discussion at one of the International Meets by one of the designers (I can't remember who) and the question was asked about the 61 beltline trim. He said that they were trying to make the Lark look longer and lower. That is why they lowered the roof. The severe dip in the 59 & 60 Lark made the car look shorter, so they made it flatter on the 61 and it had to be above the contour line so that it would meet the rear trunk lid. It didn't come off like they wanted.

I actually like the 61 Lark. My least favorite is the 57 sedans. I never liked the tail lights, I thought they copied the 55-56 Ford and didn't like the headlight rims.

I was only 12 years old when the 57s came out, but I read in Motor Trend that Studebaker was just going to do a face lift. I didn't understand what a face lift was and I told my Mother that the face was already too high. I really liked the 53-55s better than the 56-58s.

Leonard Shepherd
http://leonardshepherd.com/

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/lstude1/MeatSouthBendsm1.jpg

bams50
03-04-2008, 05:20 PM
If my scanner was working I would post pictures of the ugliest Studebakers ever- in fact, probably the ugliest cars ever! Luckily they were prototypes that were never produced; but they're so bad they can still fit this thread!

They're in Ed Reynolds' book titled Studebaker Lark, 1959-1966 Photo Archive on pages 62 & 63.

WARNING: If you have a heart condition, are under 18 years old, or frighten easy, these cars may cause terror, horror, and/or spastic colon. View at your own risk[:0][B)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

bams50
03-04-2008, 05:20 PM
If my scanner was working I would post pictures of the ugliest Studebakers ever- in fact, probably the ugliest cars ever! Luckily they were prototypes that were never produced; but they're so bad they can still fit this thread!

They're in Ed Reynolds' book titled Studebaker Lark, 1959-1966 Photo Archive on pages 62 & 63.

WARNING: If you have a heart condition, are under 18 years old, or frighten easy, these cars may cause terror, horror, and/or spastic colon. View at your own risk[:0][B)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

stude-sled
03-04-2008, 05:23 PM
GT Hawks!!!![xx(][xx(][xx(]

stude-sled
03-04-2008, 05:23 PM
GT Hawks!!!![xx(][xx(][xx(]

52hawk
03-04-2008, 05:39 PM
[V] '63 Lark[V]

Oglesby,Il
61Hawk "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"

52hawk
03-04-2008, 05:39 PM
[V] '63 Lark[V]

Oglesby,Il
61Hawk "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"

61hawk
03-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Any and all Avantis.

61hawk
03-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Any and all Avantis.

boomer
03-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Ugliest ? My nomination is for the '47-'49 models, followed by any/all 4 door sedans,since 1947. Many people I talk to only remember Studebakers as being ugly, usually they are referring to above models. When I show them pictures of the 53 thru 64 coupes and hardtops, they generally retract their insults !!
( with one possible exception- the front end on the overly chromed fishmouthed 55 C's & K's) !

Dennis Maxfield ( Boomer)
Lancaster,CA
1957 Silver Hawk (finless)

boomer
03-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Ugliest ? My nomination is for the '47-'49 models, followed by any/all 4 door sedans,since 1947. Many people I talk to only remember Studebakers as being ugly, usually they are referring to above models. When I show them pictures of the 53 thru 64 coupes and hardtops, they generally retract their insults !!
( with one possible exception- the front end on the overly chromed fishmouthed 55 C's & K's) !

Dennis Maxfield ( Boomer)
Lancaster,CA
1957 Silver Hawk (finless)

Dick Steinkamp
03-04-2008, 06:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Avantis[xx(]

I'm with Biggs. They are "love it or leave it" kind of cars...and I'll leave them. I can't even force myself to buy one I know I can flip for more money.

When you compare them with '63 Corvettes...they loose BIG TIME (IMHO). Even with the 3 year old Thunderbird, and the two year old Riviera, They are just down right ugly and dated and slow (again IMHO).

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/54%20starlight/HiResS2Dsig2.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Avantis[xx(]

I'm with Biggs. They are "love it or leave it" kind of cars...and I'll leave them. I can't even force myself to buy one I know I can flip for more money.

When you compare them with '63 Corvettes...they loose BIG TIME (IMHO). Even with the 3 year old Thunderbird, and the two year old Riviera, They are just down right ugly and dated and slow (again IMHO).

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ddstnkmp/54%20starlight/HiResS2Dsig2.jpg

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
...To wit: Years ago, I was in the basement of the now-leveled Studebaker Salvage Building (then Standard Surplus), taking photos for a Turning Wheels feature article on that facility. Among the various parts sitting around was a set of used doors from a 1962 Cruiser.

Years ago I heard that Walter Cronkrite wanted a '64 Cruiser, but would not take it without power windows. So, they made him one with power windows[?].

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine
1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)

...To wit: Years ago, I was in the basement of the now-leveled Studebaker Salvage Building (then Standard Surplus), taking photos for a Turning Wheels feature article on that facility. Among the various parts sitting around was a set of used doors from a 1962 Cruiser.

Years ago I heard that Walter Cronkrite wanted a '64 Cruiser, but would not take it without power windows. So, they made him one with power windows[?].

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
'53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
'64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
'64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
Museum R-4 engine
1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)

BobPalma
03-04-2008, 06:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by 53k

:) Maybe so, Paul, but the doors in the basement of Standard Surplus were definately 1962 doors, not 1964s! [8D] BP

BobPalma
03-04-2008, 06:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by 53k

:) Maybe so, Paul, but the doors in the basement of Standard Surplus were definately 1962 doors, not 1964s! [8D] BP

studeefrek
03-04-2008, 07:14 PM
i vote for the champ p/u the bed does mach the cab.

studeefrek
03-04-2008, 07:14 PM
i vote for the champ p/u the bed does mach the cab.

mrzeke
03-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Ugly is beautiful!

Zeke

mrzeke
03-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Ugly is beautiful!

Zeke

Ricardo
03-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Respectfully , and please consider that I have a 61 Lark , a well voted car in this poll (and I love their design and looks), I vote for the Champ p/u because the bed does not match the cab and it is impossible to disguise their cut (Butchered) Lark aspect. Also I dislike the Avanti and the 66 (Commanders et al) that seems an ugly european car trimmed of any trace of personality.
Finally some 1936 and 1938 sedans seems anything except Studebakers

Studebakerchile
http://www.tuerca.cl/studebakerchile/

Ricardo
03-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Respectfully , and please consider that I have a 61 Lark , a well voted car in this poll (and I love their design and looks), I vote for the Champ p/u because the bed does not match the cab and it is impossible to disguise their cut (Butchered) Lark aspect. Also I dislike the Avanti and the 66 (Commanders et al) that seems an ugly european car trimmed of any trace of personality.
Finally some 1936 and 1938 sedans seems anything except Studebakers

Studebakerchile
http://www.tuerca.cl/studebakerchile/

64studeavanti
03-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Just to be the devil's advocate, in 1964, my mother went to the Stude Dealer to get a different car. They had an Avanti on the showroom floor, and I just could not understand why she bought the used 59 Lark 4 door with a flathead six and three on the tree (I was only 14 at the time). I finally got the avanti so .....

64studeavanti
03-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Just to be the devil's advocate, in 1964, my mother went to the Stude Dealer to get a different car. They had an Avanti on the showroom floor, and I just could not understand why she bought the used 59 Lark 4 door with a flathead six and three on the tree (I was only 14 at the time). I finally got the avanti so .....

stude53
03-04-2008, 07:44 PM
I like most if not all Studebakers, but the Packard Hawk is butt-ugly.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
53 Starliner Hardtop
Newton Grove, NC

stude53
03-04-2008, 07:44 PM

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
53 Starliner Hardtop
Newton Grove, NC

LarkVIII
03-04-2008, 07:51 PM
The Packard Hawk Hawk,AKA Catfish was more of a face droop than a face lift[}:)]

quote:Originally posted by stude53

53 Starliner Hardtop
Newton Grove, NC

LarkVIII
03-04-2008, 07:51 PM
The Packard Hawk Hawk,AKA Catfish was more of a face droop than a face lift[}:)]

quote:Originally posted by stude53

53 Starliner Hardtop
Newton Grove, NC

DEEPNHOCK
03-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Doesn't hurt a bit....
But it does put some light on some forum members...
Must be a lot of people snowed in;)
Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK
03-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Doesn't hurt a bit....
But it does put some light on some forum members...
Must be a lot of people snowed in;)
Jeff[8D]

Guido
03-04-2008, 08:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by vegas paul

Which bucket would you put mine in[?][?][?]
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/guidosalvage/BGStudeWagon3.jpg

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/62/562/2/21/69/2353221690097493054hwathP_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/60/460/3/91/1/2433391010097493054nAMBKh_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/24/565/2/49/65/2603249650097493054XvpTUI_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/64/564/6/89/77/2752689770097493054skXzAT_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/22/22/0/2/68/2589002680097493054ftBuBw_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/28/28/8/30/30/2075830300097493054aSSlFv_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/24/565/5/22/8/2609522080097493054ZNRJeA_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/69/169/4/66/56/2729466560097493054oBZsXT_th.jpg
Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn doctor’s buggy; Studebaker horse drawn “Izzer” buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures" (including a 1959 IH B-120 4 wheel drive, a 1970 Dodge W-200 Power Wagon and numerous Oliver and Cockshutt tractors).

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Guido
03-04-2008, 08:07 PM

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/62/562/2/21/69/2353221690097493054hwathP_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/60/460/3/91/1/2433391010097493054nAMBKh_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/24/565/2/49/65/2603249650097493054XvpTUI_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/64/564/6/89/77/2752689770097493054skXzAT_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/22/22/0/2/68/2589002680097493054ftBuBw_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/28/28/8/30/30/2075830300097493054aSSlFv_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/24/565/5/22/8/2609522080097493054ZNRJeA_th.jpghttp://thumb14.webshots.net/t/69/169/4/66/56/2729466560097493054oBZsXT_th.jpg

Studebaker horse drawn doctor’s buggy; Studebaker horse drawn “Izzer” buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures" (including a 1959 IH B-120 4 wheel drive, a 1970 Dodge W-200 Power Wagon and numerous Oliver and Cockshutt tractors).

StudeRich
03-04-2008, 08:08 PM
I can't decide if it's the 1955 Sedans or the 1962 Lark 4 Dr.'s that I definitely would not own & drive! I have them both for parts cars for someone else's benefit (anyone else please!) though! :([xx(][V]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

StudeRich
03-04-2008, 08:08 PM
I can't decide if it's the 1955 Sedans or the 1962 Lark 4 Dr.'s that I definitely would not own & drive! I have them both for parts cars for someone else's benefit (anyone else please!) though! :([xx(][V]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

DEEPNHOCK
03-04-2008, 08:28 PM
And I was going to say the Zip Van...
(But they are suprisingly similar;))
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Guido

DEEPNHOCK
03-04-2008, 08:28 PM
And I was going to say the Zip Van...
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Guido
03-04-2008, 08:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

[navy][b]And I was going to say the Zip Van...
And get down the road at about the same speed. :D

Guido
03-04-2008, 08:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

[navy][b]And I was going to say the Zip Van...
And get down the road at about the same speed. :D

STEWDI
03-04-2008, 08:36 PM
It's '61 Larks for me too (especially the Deluxes with the single headlights). The first-year OHV 6 doesn't help desirability (sp?) either. But SIGN ME UP for a black V8 hardtop with a skytop on it!!

My wife would NOT be pleased if a bulletnose followed me home because she says that it's NOT a bullet - it's a b**b. But SIGN ME UP for a '50 Land Cruiser with overdrive and fender skirts.

My son seems to like all Studes (and even Avanti 4-doors which I CANNOT STAND!)

One of my customers really dug my M5 when I showed it to him. He seem a Champ truck some years ago and was glad that my truck was NOT one of those! BUT SIGN ME UP for a ' 64 short-box V8, white with full wheel covers!

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
47 M-5
Izzer Buggy
Junior Wagon

STEWDI
03-04-2008, 08:36 PM
It's '61 Larks for me too (especially the Deluxes with the single headlights). The first-year OHV 6 doesn't help desirability (sp?) either. But SIGN ME UP for a black V8 hardtop with a skytop on it!!

My wife would NOT be pleased if a bulletnose followed me home because she says that it's NOT a bullet - it's a b**b. But SIGN ME UP for a '50 Land Cruiser with overdrive and fender skirts.

My son seems to like all Studes (and even Avanti 4-doors which I CANNOT STAND!)

One of my customers really dug my M5 when I showed it to him. He seem a Champ truck some years ago and was glad that my truck was NOT one of those! BUT SIGN ME UP for a ' 64 short-box V8, white with full wheel covers!

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
47 M-5
Izzer Buggy
Junior Wagon

Guido
03-04-2008, 08:42 PM
SCOTSMAN???

Guido
03-04-2008, 08:42 PM
SCOTSMAN???

Clem64
03-04-2008, 09:03 PM
UGLIEST by a loooong country mile.....The 58 PackardBaker Hawk, gaak [xx(][xx(][xx(].

Dean Croft
Roseburg,OR

CLEM
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x56/Clem64/Clem64Forum1A.jpg

Clem64
03-04-2008, 09:03 PM
UGLIEST by a loooong country mile.....The 58 PackardBaker Hawk, gaak [xx(][xx(][xx(].

Dean Croft
Roseburg,OR

CLEM
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x56/Clem64/Clem64Forum1A.jpg

55s
03-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I happen to love Speedsters, 55s, Packard Hawks, 58s, especially the hardtop, Avantis, GTs and probably every other car that people are slamming here.

People who slam Speedsters and Packard Hawks OBVIOUSLY have never had the opportunity to own or drive them. They are far superior cars, better than all of the rest of the year's production. There is NOTHING more enjoyable than jumping into these dream cars and smelling the leather and enjoying the performance. They are well-appointed, and like it or love it, represent the best of what Studebaker had to offer. No one has ever approached me and the PH and said anything like "Man, that is one ugly car!". I know, I own examples of both. ASK THE MAN WHO OWNS ONE!

I think this thread is treading on sacred ground. An OLD AUTOS feature writer recently resurrected an article he had written years ago for the Toronto Star. Instead of providing a fair report, he focussed on how ugly the Packard Hawk was TO HIM! He couldn't understand the fake continental kit (didn't all cars have these?), and the outside arm rests (very useful when you have hot sun). He obviously didn't get it either, and never will. And of course, he doesn't own one. I think Duncan the designer performed absolutely masterful work in creating new body styles with NO MONEY.

I personally think the add on fins and trim make the cars look faster.

By the way, selling prices tend to indicate that 55s, Speedsters and PHs are the best!

Sign me, 55s

55s
03-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I happen to love Speedsters, 55s, Packard Hawks, 58s, especially the hardtop, Avantis, GTs and probably every other car that people are slamming here.

People who slam Speedsters and Packard Hawks OBVIOUSLY have never had the opportunity to own or drive them. They are far superior cars, better than all of the rest of the year's production. There is NOTHING more enjoyable than jumping into these dream cars and smelling the leather and enjoying the performance. They are well-appointed, and like it or love it, represent the best of what Studebaker had to offer. No one has ever approached me and the PH and said anything like "Man, that is one ugly car!". I know, I own examples of both. ASK THE MAN WHO OWNS ONE!

I think this thread is treading on sacred ground. An OLD AUTOS feature writer recently resurrected an article he had written years ago for the Toronto Star. Instead of providing a fair report, he focussed on how ugly the Packard Hawk was TO HIM! He couldn't understand the fake continental kit (didn't all cars have these?), and the outside arm rests (very useful when you have hot sun). He obviously didn't get it either, and never will. And of course, he doesn't own one. I think Duncan the designer performed absolutely masterful work in creating new body styles with NO MONEY.

By the way, selling prices tend to indicate that 55s, Speedsters and PHs are the best!

Sign me, 55s

Swifster
03-04-2008, 10:11 PM
I'll go where no one has yet to go. I don't like the '50-'52 cars. I know they sold well, but I just think the bullet nose is cartoonish and the '52 just looks...cobbled (like it was).

My favorites are the '64-'66 Lark types, the '63 Avanti with the round headlamps, and the '53-'55 hardtops and Conestogas.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/rollingpi.gif http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/01-01-05TheStartingPoint.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/07-17-07FrontClipRemoved.jpg

Swifster
03-04-2008, 10:11 PM
I'll go where no one has yet to go. I don't like the '50-'52 cars. I know they sold well, but I just think the bullet nose is cartoonish and the '52 just looks...cobbled (like it was).

My favorites are the '64-'66 Lark types, the '63 Avanti with the round headlamps, and the '53-'55 hardtops and Conestogas.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Valrico, FL

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/rollingpi.gif http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/01-01-05TheStartingPoint.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/07-17-07FrontClipRemoved.jpg

8E45E
03-04-2008, 10:36 PM

I remember that photo, Bob. And those switches looked like the were the '55-'58 style as well; not the round Avanti ones with the white plastic button. I would suspect they were for 'someone special' who worked there.

Craig

8E45E
03-04-2008, 10:36 PM

I remember that photo, Bob. And those switches looked like the were the '55-'58 style as well; not the round Avanti ones with the white plastic button. I would suspect they were for 'someone special' who worked there.

Craig

mapman
03-04-2008, 11:17 PM
There are several I would tend to skip over but I once looked a a 58 scottsman 4 dr that had to be the plainest car I have ever seen. Downright cheap looking, even with that huge front bumper. I guess that gets my vote.
Rob

mapman
03-04-2008, 11:17 PM
There are several I would tend to skip over but I once looked a a 58 scottsman 4 dr that had to be the plainest car I have ever seen. Downright cheap looking, even with that huge front bumper. I guess that gets my vote.
Rob

Dads Baby
03-05-2008, 01:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by 55s

Sign me, 55s

Well said 55s!
PHawks are butt ugly???? Come on, what is wrong with my car's butt?!!!:D

Carey
Packard Hawk
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/myredyota/misc/DSCN0149.jpg?t=1195791215

Dads Baby
03-05-2008, 01:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by 55s

Sign me, 55s

Well said 55s!
PHawks are butt ugly???? Come on, what is wrong with my car's butt?!!!:D

Carey
Packard Hawk
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/myredyota/misc/DSCN0149.jpg?t=1195791215

Stude Mick
03-05-2008, 02:29 AM
I would have to say the Champ Pickups, Never really liked the grill or bumpers on them

Michael Pink
Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Sedan
1955 Commander Coupe
1961 Lark Cruiser
1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Austrlaia Website
http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Stude Mick
03-05-2008, 02:29 AM
I would have to say the Champ Pickups, Never really liked the grill or bumpers on them

Michael Pink
Victoria, Australia

1955 Commander Sedan
1955 Commander Coupe
1961 Lark Cruiser
1963 Avanti R1

Studebaker Car Club Of Austrlaia Website
http://www.studebakercarclub.net

rbruner
03-05-2008, 08:26 AM
How could you not love such a perty face? :D

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/sbruner_2008/641Champ.jpg

rbruner
03-05-2008, 08:26 AM
How could you not love such a perty face? :D

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/sbruner_2008/641Champ.jpg

Michidan
03-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Ah, A chance to confess. Hi, my name is Dan and I am a Studeaholic. But I...I....I don't get Avantis.

There are one or two angles where a turquoise 63 will appeal to me. Anything outside of that is just very odd. Then they go downhill every year after 63.

Dan
52 hardtop
www.studebakerhardtop.com

Michidan
03-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Ah, A chance to confess. Hi, my name is Dan and I am a Studeaholic. But I...I....I don't get Avantis.

There are one or two angles where a turquoise 63 will appeal to me. Anything outside of that is just very odd. Then they go downhill every year after 63.

Dan
52 hardtop
www.studebakerhardtop.com

Scott
03-05-2008, 09:45 AM
My least favorite would be the 1953 - 1955 (?) two door sedans where the part behind the doors looks like they took skins from a 4 door and welded them on. That was the cheapest, lousiest engineering idea I ever saw from Studebaker.

Scott
03-05-2008, 09:45 AM
My least favorite would be the 1953 - 1955 (?) two door sedans where the part behind the doors looks like they took skins from a 4 door and welded them on. That was the cheapest, lousiest engineering idea I ever saw from Studebaker.

tutone63
03-05-2008, 10:11 AM
It is nice to see the diversified reactions. I love to hear about the differences in opinion regarding this topic. This topic is definetly a hot button, and although I disagree with many posts here, it is all a matter of opinion. As long as we respect that, there is no reason to be offended. That being said, and as the poster of this topic, I am glad for the overall respect and understanding that has been observed so far. This has been fun. Thanks!

tutone63
03-05-2008, 10:11 AM
It is nice to see the diversified reactions. I love to hear about the differences in opinion regarding this topic. This topic is definetly a hot button, and although I disagree with many posts here, it is all a matter of opinion. As long as we respect that, there is no reason to be offended. That being said, and as the poster of this topic, I am glad for the overall respect and understanding that has been observed so far. This has been fun. Thanks!

03-05-2008, 10:30 AM
The big surprise to me is that there is apparently more support for the 58's than I thought, sure the people who don't like them are loud about it, but they seem to have more of a following than I was led to believe. When I opened this thread to read I thought,"Here we go, every post will be something negative about a 58" and I was pleased to find that it was only about half of them.

03-05-2008, 10:30 AM
The big surprise to me is that there is apparently more support for the 58's than I thought, sure the people who don't like them are loud about it, but they seem to have more of a following than I was led to believe. When I opened this thread to read I thought,"Here we go, every post will be something negative about a 58" and I was pleased to find that it was only about half of them.

StudeDave57
03-05-2008, 10:38 AM
I've been tryin' hard to stay out of this, but I'm at work, and very bored!!! [:0] ;) [xx(]
My least favorites look something like this...

Somedays- Champ trucks, LWB '53-'55 sedans, and any Hawk.

Mostdays- '55s, Avantis, and GT Hawks.

ALLDAYS~ '62/3 Larks, GT Hawks (and '61 Larks with four headlights)

Luckily I already own my favs...

StudeDave [8D]
V/P San Diego County SDC
San Diego, Ca
www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
'57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
'57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
'57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
'58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
'65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

StudeDave57
03-05-2008, 10:38 AM
I've been tryin' hard to stay out of this, but I'm at work, and very bored!!! [:0] ;) [xx(]
My least favorites look something like this...

Somedays- Champ trucks, LWB '53-'55 sedans, and any Hawk.

Mostdays- '55s, Avantis, and GT Hawks.

ALLDAYS~ '62/3 Larks, GT Hawks (and '61 Larks with four headlights)

Luckily I already own my favs...

StudeDave [8D]
V/P San Diego County SDC
San Diego, Ca
www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
'57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
'57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
'57 Parkview 'Betsy' (she's a 2dr wagon...)
'58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
'65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

fastfritz
03-05-2008, 01:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

Larks 1959-61

I agree. But I love the '63 Larks!

Plus the GT Hawks. That huge C-pillar just detroys the look of the Hawk.

Frank Remlinger
SDC# A004602R
http://automotivemachine.net/smleftsdcaps.jpg

fastfritz
03-05-2008, 01:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

Larks 1959-61

I agree. But I love the '63 Larks!

Plus the GT Hawks. That huge C-pillar just detroys the look of the Hawk.

Frank Remlinger
SDC# A004602R
http://automotivemachine.net/smleftsdcaps.jpg

STEWDI
03-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Just remembered an Ontario Chapter summer meet where we had about 8 high school aged kids in attendance. My kids, 55's kids, and several friends. We gave just them a chance to vote for their favourite Stude present at the meet.

THE RESULTS: NOT a53/54 coupe, NOT a GT or any other Hawk, NOT an Avanti, NOT a convertible. IT WAS a nice, clean, original '56 Commander 4 door in tu-tone blue. No, the owner of the car had no kids at the meet. GO FIGURE.

TAKE THAT, sedan detractors!!!

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
47 M-5
Izzer Buggy
Junior Wagon

STEWDI
03-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Just remembered an Ontario Chapter summer meet where we had about 8 high school aged kids in attendance. My kids, 55's kids, and several friends. We gave just them a chance to vote for their favourite Stude present at the meet.

THE RESULTS: NOT a53/54 coupe, NOT a GT or any other Hawk, NOT an Avanti, NOT a convertible. IT WAS a nice, clean, original '56 Commander 4 door in tu-tone blue. No, the owner of the car had no kids at the meet. GO FIGURE.

TAKE THAT, sedan detractors!!!

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
47 M-5
Izzer Buggy
Junior Wagon

FlatheadGeo
03-05-2008, 03:46 PM
WEll, I have been reading all of these posts, comments twice. Now I'd like to tell you all a story:

When my brother and I were growing up in Brooklyn we were allowed to play on the street. Not much traffic. Well, one day we were playing and my brother yells: "Studebaker coming!" we moved out of the way. My dad had a '52 and upstairs neighbor had a '51. As the car passes us, I remark: "Gee, that is a '57 Champion 2 door. It really is one of the ugliest Studebakers that I've seen." He agrees. Fast forward to today. I am the proud owner of an ugly '57 Studebaker Champion 2 door from Brooklyn. What goes around, comes around! It could possibly be the same car that I had commented upon in the past. I traced the car back to the original owner and dealer in Brooklyn, which was not far from my boyhood home.

1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

FlatheadGeo
03-05-2008, 03:46 PM
WEll, I have been reading all of these posts, comments twice. Now I'd like to tell you all a story:

When my brother and I were growing up in Brooklyn we were allowed to play on the street. Not much traffic. Well, one day we were playing and my brother yells: "Studebaker coming!" we moved out of the way. My dad had a '52 and upstairs neighbor had a '51. As the car passes us, I remark: "Gee, that is a '57 Champion 2 door. It really is one of the ugliest Studebakers that I've seen." He agrees. Fast forward to today. I am the proud owner of an ugly '57 Studebaker Champion 2 door from Brooklyn. What goes around, comes around! It could possibly be the same car that I had commented upon in the past. I traced the car back to the original owner and dealer in Brooklyn, which was not far from my boyhood home.

1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

47M-5
03-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Larks ran well but should have been redesigned. Kept me in Fords in the 60's

47M-5
03-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Larks ran well but should have been redesigned. Kept me in Fords in the 60's

61LaRk4dr
03-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Not a huge fan of the 1955 sedans or the 1962-63 lark models either. I am rather fond of the rear end treatment for the 62-63 models but I think it is the quad headlamps and benz-like grill that doesn't look good. The 55' sedans should be self-explanitory.

Of course I do like the 1959-1961 lark models (naturally bias):D

61LaRk4dr
03-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Not a huge fan of the 1955 sedans or the 1962-63 lark models either. I am rather fond of the rear end treatment for the 62-63 models but I think it is the quad headlamps and benz-like grill that doesn't look good. The 55' sedans should be self-explanitory.

Of course I do like the 1959-1961 lark models (naturally bias):D

PlainBrownR2
03-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Count me in for the 56-68 crowd(except Hawk models, annnndd Packard Hawk models to a fault). Never much liked how they took a sleek C/K line and decided to follow the Bel Air crowd. Now we got a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a husky cinder block instead of the lines it once had. :(
The 55 4 door sedan is probably a notch up from my least favorite. Instead of taking a sedan model and stretching it out to accomodate 4 doors, we'll just use a vehicle slightly shorter than its 2 door brethren and give it a squished snout in the front :(.

PlainBrownR2
03-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Count me in for the 56-68 crowd(except Hawk models, annnndd Packard Hawk models to a fault). Never much liked how they took a sleek C/K line and decided to follow the Bel Air crowd. Now we got a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a husky cinder block instead of the lines it once had. :(
The 55 4 door sedan is probably a notch up from my least favorite. Instead of taking a sedan model and stretching it out to accomodate 4 doors, we'll just use a vehicle slightly shorter than its 2 door brethren and give it a squished snout in the front :(.

Swifster
03-05-2008, 11:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

Count me in for the 56-68 crowd...

I never much cared for the '67's or '68's myself...[:o)];)

Just kidding...:D

Tom - Valrico, FL

Swifster
03-05-2008, 11:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

Count me in for the 56-68 crowd...

I never much cared for the '67's or '68's myself...[:o)];)

Just kidding...:D

Tom - Valrico, FL

PlainBrownR2
03-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Haha, see this is what happens when your student teaching and your day begins at 6 and ends at 3 with little sleep in between...... [:o)]
Nah never been much for them 67-68's, too much of that plastic fantastic business in the interior and that there six is meager, lol

PlainBrownR2
03-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Haha, see this is what happens when your student teaching and your day begins at 6 and ends at 3 with little sleep in between...... [:o)]
Nah never been much for them 67-68's, too much of that plastic fantastic business in the interior and that there six is meager, lol