This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 Golden Hawk Vacuum Gauge - WHY?

I'll be the first to admit I thought I knew all the basics about the different hawks. Today after many years of owning hawks (no 56Js), looking at pictures of hawks and reading about hawks I discovered that the 1956 Golden Hawks came with a vacuum gauge. I figured it couldn't be, since they were never supercharged. But the fact is it was a factory installed gauge on 56J cars. Now I have to wonder WHY is it there? Does it really help describe the health of the engine? Is it used for diagnostics? Was it avaiable for Studebaker powered hawks in 1956?

Hmm. I'm perplexed. P.S. Can we have a new emoticon for perplexed (not the the ? mark?)
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

First, the supercharged cars had a vacuum/pressure gage, not just vacuum.
    The vacuum gage tells you a lot about the state of the engines. i.e. timing, condition of the valve train and can help get better gas miliage by try for as steady a reading as possible. the gage was only offered in 1956 model year on the Golden Hawks.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Avanti R2 (Sold)
    63 Daytona HT
    63 Lark 2 dr.
    62 Lark 2 door
    60 Lark convert
    60 Hawk
    59 3E Truck
    57 Silver Hawk
    53 Starliner
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    JDP Maryland

Comment

First, the supercharged cars had a vacuum/pressure gage, not just vacuum.
      The vacuum gage tells you a lot about the state of the engines. i.e. timing, condition of the valve train and can help get better gas miliage by try for as steady a reading as possible. the gage was only offered in 1956 model year on the Golden Hawks.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
      64 Daytona HT
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
      63 GT Hawk
      63 Avanti R1/AC
      63 Avanti R2 (Sold)
      63 Daytona HT
      63 Lark 2 dr.
      62 Lark 2 door
      60 Lark convert
      60 Hawk
      59 3E Truck
      57 Silver Hawk
      53 Starliner
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Here is a good explanation:
        Great savings on closeout and overstock items. New items added regularly. Limited Quantities

I added a vacuum gage to my 56 Power Hawk, and it tells more about what the engine is doing than any other gauge.
        David

Comment

Here is a good explanation:
          Great savings on closeout and overstock items. New items added regularly. Limited Quantities

I added a vacuum gage to my 56 Power Hawk, and it tells more about what the engine is doing than any other gauge.
          David

Comment

I looked at the article. I figured it could tell you if your timing is OK or if the valves are seating OK, but I'm amazed at how much this little gauge can tell you - or at least lead you to consider - about the health of the engine.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I looked at the article. I figured it could tell you if your timing is OK or if the valves are seating OK, but I'm amazed at how much this little gauge can tell you - or at least lead you to consider - about the health of the engine.

Comment

And, a nice row of Stewart-Warner Gauges looks cool sitting in that engine-turned metal instrument panel!

Comment

And, a nice row of Stewart-Warner Gauges looks cool sitting in that engine-turned metal instrument panel!

Comment

If you're wanting to set some kind of gas mileage record for your car, a vacuum guage will sure help. The highest reading tells you you have the most engine rpm's with the smallest throttle opening. At idle they will give you an idea if your ignition timing is retarded. They can also clue you in to intake manifold gaasket leaks, vacuum hose leaks and so on as long as you know what's normal for your engine. Every engine is a little different according to idle speed, state of tune and wear. And yes, they do a nice job of filling up that open space in the dash. Actually, that's as good a reason as any to install one!

Comment

If you're wanting to set some kind of gas mileage record for your car, a vacuum guage will sure help. The highest reading tells you you have the most engine rpm's with the smallest throttle opening. At idle they will give you an idea if your ignition timing is retarded. They can also clue you in to intake manifold gaasket leaks, vacuum hose leaks and so on as long as you know what's normal for your engine. Every engine is a little different according to idle speed, state of tune and wear. And yes, they do a nice job of filling up that open space in the dash. Actually, that's as good a reason as any to install one!

Comment

Working...
                      X