PDA

View Full Version : New SDCer with questions

JJB
03-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Hi,I'm new to SDC and am enjoying my first restoration on my first Studebaker, a 1960 Hawk. My dad drove Studebakers when I was a kid. He taught me how to drive on a 54 Commander 3 speed od. Although this is my first Studebaker, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for our favorite cars. I have two questions, first I read in the March issue of Turning Wheels that all the styling differences in the Hawks can be found in the 1992 October issue of Turning Wheels. They have issues of every month for 1992 except October. Does anybody have an October "92" issue you would be willing to sell? If so please e-mail me. Second question, My Hawk is a "60" but a p/o changed the front clip to one with the turn signals on top of the fenders. How is this looked upon by other Hawk owners? I plan to drive the car and show it in some small local shows. I come from the world of Corvettes where total orignalty is priority. Thanks.

Jim Barker

DEEPNHOCK
03-03-2008, 08:10 AM
You won't have any problems with little things like that.
But swap one of your 'Vette engines into a Stude and you'll probably hear from a few;)
As a whole, the SDC is into driving Stude's and preserving history...if possible.
The SDC has a custom, and a modified class at bigger meets that allow a hot rod Stude to compete and have fun, as well as a Stude with a different brand engine (Wankel, turbine, etc.)
Most are here to have fun, and we welcome new people!
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by JJB

Hi,I'm new to SDC and am enjoying my first restoration on my first Studebaker, a 1960 Hawk. My dad drove Studebakers when I was a kid. He taught me how to drive on a 54 Commander 3 speed od. Although this is my first Studebaker, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for our favorite cars. I have two questions, first I read in the March issue of Turning Wheels that all the styling differences in the Hawks can be found in the 1992 October issue of Turning Wheels. They have issues of every month for 1992 except October. Does anybody have an October "92" issue you would be willing to sell? If so please e-mail me. Second question, My Hawk is a "60" but a p/o changed the front clip to one with the turn signals on top of the fenders. How is this looked upon by other Hawk owners? I plan to drive the car and show it in some small local shows. I come from the world of Corvettes where total orignalty is priority. Thanks.

Jim Barker

DEEPNHOCK
03-03-2008, 08:10 AM
You won't have any problems with little things like that.
But swap one of your 'Vette engines into a Stude and you'll probably hear from a few;)
As a whole, the SDC is into driving Stude's and preserving history...if possible.
The SDC has a custom, and a modified class at bigger meets that allow a hot rod Stude to compete and have fun, as well as a Stude with a different brand engine (Wankel, turbine, etc.)
Most are here to have fun, and we welcome new people!
Jeff[8D]

Jim Barker

studeefrek
03-03-2008, 09:25 AM
i have cars both ways {stock & mod.) its your car to enjoy so do what ever turns your crank

studeefrek
03-03-2008, 09:25 AM
i have cars both ways {stock & mod.) its your car to enjoy so do what ever turns your crank

sals54
03-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Jim,
As stated above, you build the car the way you want to enjoy it. I've driven mine modified ever since I got it 37 years ago. I've heard it all from those who think I should paint it, or put it back to original, or whatever. I drive it cuz I like it. Don't get me wrong though, cuz I also love the restored versions and have great respect for those who have the talent, time and resources to do such a job. Good Luck on the project.
If you ever need help, or parts, this is a GREAT place to ask. You will find people here more than willing to help in more ways you can believe.

sals54
03-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Jim,
As stated above, you build the car the way you want to enjoy it. I've driven mine modified ever since I got it 37 years ago. I've heard it all from those who think I should paint it, or put it back to original, or whatever. I drive it cuz I like it. Don't get me wrong though, cuz I also love the restored versions and have great respect for those who have the talent, time and resources to do such a job. Good Luck on the project.
If you ever need help, or parts, this is a GREAT place to ask. You will find people here more than willing to help in more ways you can believe.

JJB
03-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate and need your help. I like the turn signals on top of the fenders, so I will continue to fix'er up (thanks Dave) just the way she is.

Jim Barker

JJB
03-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate and need your help. I like the turn signals on top of the fenders, so I will continue to fix'er up (thanks Dave) just the way she is.

Jim Barker

Mark57
03-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Jim, Welcome to the Forum and the SDC... :)

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar
3E-6/7-122 </h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/IMG_0028a.jpg

Mark57
03-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Jim, Welcome to the Forum and the SDC... :)

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar
3E-6/7-122 </h5>
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/IMG_0028a.jpg

Avantidon
03-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Jim welcome as others have said. The 60 Hawk is yours and you can do as you wish with it. I personally have both original and tastefully modifieds ones also. So do as you wish. I may also have the Turning Wheels that you are looking for. If you want contact me outside of here and we can discuss it.

Avantidon
03-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Jim welcome as others have said. The 60 Hawk is yours and you can do as you wish with it. I personally have both original and tastefully modifieds ones also. So do as you wish. I may also have the Turning Wheels that you are looking for. If you want contact me outside of here and we can discuss it.

Rerun
03-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Welcome, Jim!

My Daytona is modified with such things as A/C, disc brakes and a CD player. I enjoy driving the car and these things make it a bit nicer. Nobody has ever given me any static about the mods. More likely the comments are about the miles that I have driven.

BTW, across the river in the Omaha area you will find a very active Husker Chapter of SDC. You may want to look them up. Check the club home page for contacts.

Jim Bradley
Lewistown PA
'64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd35/bradley71771/Rerun.jpg

Rerun
03-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Welcome, Jim!

My Daytona is modified with such things as A/C, disc brakes and a CD player. I enjoy driving the car and these things make it a bit nicer. Nobody has ever given me any static about the mods. More likely the comments are about the miles that I have driven.

BTW, across the river in the Omaha area you will find a very active Husker Chapter of SDC. You may want to look them up. Check the club home page for contacts.

Jim Bradley
Lewistown PA
'64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd35/bradley71771/Rerun.jpg

JJB
03-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks Jim. Those are some nice mods. I plan on driving my car alot, so these are some mods I would also like to include. I have already become a member of the Husker chapter and have received help in advice and parts from Frank41.

Jim Barker

JJB
03-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks Jim. Those are some nice mods. I plan on driving my car alot, so these are some mods I would also like to include. I have already become a member of the Husker chapter and have received help in advice and parts from Frank41.

Jim Barker

phipfox
03-03-2008, 11:19 PM
welcome to the fold.

do the car for you as it's your effort, checks, your ride.

i've heard " i can't believe you'd do that" and 'that's just right" commenting on aspects which were personalized by me.
i'm fine if a friend should see it differently than i.

just be sure to enter your gem in custom class unless you mod the drive train.

by the way at age 9 studes became special to me and remained so though not owned in the family.
at age 42 my true colors became apparent.

enjoy the ride.

phipfox
03-03-2008, 11:19 PM
welcome to the fold.

do the car for you as it's your effort, checks, your ride.

i've heard " i can't believe you'd do that" and 'that's just right" commenting on aspects which were personalized by me.
i'm fine if a friend should see it differently than i.

just be sure to enter your gem in custom class unless you mod the drive train.

by the way at age 9 studes became special to me and remained so though not owned in the family.
at age 42 my true colors became apparent.

enjoy the ride.

JJB
03-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks Philip. The drive train is all stude, 289, FOM, 3:31 TT. I don't plan on changeing this. So my class will be custom.

Jim Barker
Council Bluffs, Ia
'60 Hawk'

JJB
03-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks Philip. The drive train is all stude, 289, FOM, 3:31 TT. I don't plan on changeing this. So my class will be custom.

Jim Barker
Council Bluffs, Ia
'60 Hawk'

barnlark
03-04-2008, 12:23 AM
Welcome, Jim. I've gone all the way "restored" with one '60 Lark convertible, as astutely described above, and recently another, "not as original" but ground up, too. I was three when mine was built, so I'm not sure how flawed it looked off the line, but there are plenty of flaws now to still be considered not too over-restored, that's for sure. I had more fun doing this one, physically, and in the search for as many original, correct stock, or optional parts as possible. Much easier with ebay this time, but not as cheaply as twelve years ago! I can say I won't be afraid to drive it long distances and show it to new friends because it's done in the manner to which I really wanted. I've never had a bad time at any Studebaker meet, ever. Everyone is usually too excited to be there about something to have a bad time anyway. I've only been in the SDC since the mid nineties, and when you find guys here who say they have had over a hundred Studebakers, believe it... they really know their stuff and just want to see you drive your Studebaker anyway YOU want it to look and feel. Let's see some pics and I hope you find your TW for your Hawk info. I'd like an August 1990 for myself! Again, welcome..it's all over now! Dave

Jim Barker
Council Bluffs, Ia
'60 Hawk'

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN0016.jpghttp://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN0093-1.jpg

barnlark
03-04-2008, 12:23 AM
Welcome, Jim. I've gone all the way "restored" with one '60 Lark convertible, as astutely described above, and recently another, "not as original" but ground up, too. I was three when mine was built, so I'm not sure how flawed it looked off the line, but there are plenty of flaws now to still be considered not too over-restored, that's for sure. I had more fun doing this one, physically, and in the search for as many original, correct stock, or optional parts as possible. Much easier with ebay this time, but not as cheaply as twelve years ago! I can say I won't be afraid to drive it long distances and show it to new friends because it's done in the manner to which I really wanted. I've never had a bad time at any Studebaker meet, ever. Everyone is usually too excited to be there about something to have a bad time anyway. I've only been in the SDC since the mid nineties, and when you find guys here who say they have had over a hundred Studebakers, believe it... they really know their stuff and just want to see you drive your Studebaker anyway YOU want it to look and feel. Let's see some pics and I hope you find your TW for your Hawk info. I'd like an August 1990 for myself! Again, welcome..it's all over now! Dave

Jim Barker
Council Bluffs, Ia
'60 Hawk'

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN0016.jpghttp://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN0093-1.jpg

Neil
03-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Welcome Jim. I also had a 60 Hawk back in 1968 and drove it for over a year before I traded it for a 62 Gt Hawk.Both my Hawks were great road cars but I liked my 60 better for road cruising.It felt more solid was much quieter,less rattles.Enjoy your Hawk the way you want it.Neil G.

Neil
03-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Welcome Jim. I also had a 60 Hawk back in 1968 and drove it for over a year before I traded it for a 62 Gt Hawk.Both my Hawks were great road cars but I liked my 60 better for road cruising.It felt more solid was much quieter,less rattles.Enjoy your Hawk the way you want it.Neil G.

Avantidon
03-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Jim sent you teo notes offline on your request

Avantidon
03-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Jim sent you teo notes offline on your request

52-fan
03-04-2008, 10:01 AM
My brother sells back issues of Turning Wheels, mostly at meets, but if you want a particular issue he may have it. His computer is down right now, but you can send me a message and I will pass it on. I don't think they are over $5.00 + postage.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas

52-fan
03-04-2008, 10:01 AM
My brother sells back issues of Turning Wheels, mostly at meets, but if you want a particular issue he may have it. His computer is down right now, but you can send me a message and I will pass it on. I don't think they are over $5.00 + postage.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas

JJB
03-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks Dave. The man I bought my Hawk from did a ground up on a beatiful 60 Lark he uses as a driver. Avantidon Has the TW issue I'm looking for and has agreed to sell it to me.

Jim Barker
Council Bluffs, Ia
'60 Hawk'

JJB
03-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks Dave. The man I bought my Hawk from did a ground up on a beatiful 60 Lark he uses as a driver. Avantidon Has the TW issue I'm looking for and has agreed to sell it to me.

Jim Barker
Council Bluffs, Ia
'60 Hawk'

JJB
03-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks Neil. I plan to take the same path as you in that my next Stude will be a GT Hawk. I'm moving pretty fast here considering I just started fix'n up my Hawk and the fact I'm 63 years old and doing my first fix'n up. But the rest of my Studes will be turn key. I would aslo like to own and drive a 53 or 54 before they close the lid on me.

Jim Barker
Council Bluffs, Ia
'60 Hawk'

JJB
03-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks Neil. I plan to take the same path as you in that my next Stude will be a GT Hawk. I'm moving pretty fast here considering I just started fix'n up my Hawk and the fact I'm 63 years old and doing my first fix'n up. But the rest of my Studes will be turn key. I would aslo like to own and drive a 53 or 54 before they close the lid on me.

Jim Barker
Council Bluffs, Ia
'60 Hawk'

JJB
03-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks 52-fan, but Avantidon has agreed to sell me the TW issue I'm looking for.

Jim Barker
Council Bluffs, Ia
'60 Hawk'

JJB
03-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks 52-fan, but Avantidon has agreed to sell me the TW issue I'm looking for.

Jim Barker
Council Bluffs, Ia
'60 Hawk'

JJB
03-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Hey Dave I understand, that's not a problem. Avantidon had one he could let go of, so it's on it's way. Thanks anyway.:)

Jim Barker
Council Bluffs, Ia
'60 Hawk'

:)

JJB
03-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Hey Dave I understand, that's not a problem. Avantidon had one he could let go of, so it's on it's way. Thanks anyway.:)

Jim Barker
Council Bluffs, Ia
'60 Hawk'

:)

stude freak
03-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Hey Dave ,if everyone had a knockout like SHEBA who cares about nit picking . lol Shes my inspiration to getting DELILAH back together.As i type this i'm looking at her pic nnd smiling as Biggs is screamin "sumbody hep me". Oh .by the way JJb welcome to the forum .

David Baggett '53 coupe

stude freak
03-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Hey Dave ,if everyone had a knockout like SHEBA who cares about nit picking . lol Shes my inspiration to getting DELILAH back together.As i type this i'm looking at her pic nnd smiling as Biggs is screamin "sumbody hep me". Oh .by the way JJb welcome to the forum .

David Baggett '53 coupe