Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

York pics and report- the whole schmeer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• York pics and report- the whole schmeer!

Got home about 9 PM from York. Had planned to stay till 3 or 4 but got a call from one of my employees saying it was snowing hard and wanted to make sure I wasn't towing anything home as it might get tricky[:I] Being that I was stopping in Frackville on the way home to look at a 61 Lark rollover, I decided to leave about 1:30. I had gone over to the fairgrounds about 6:30 AM and loaded the Wagonaire on the dolly, and dragged it off out of the way, so I hooked that up and was on my way; quick stop at the York Hooters to pick up an order of wings to go, and hit the road... did meet John and saw the Lark, more on that later.

Trip was uneventful- enjoyable, as usual. That is, until I got just north of Binghamton and hit snow-covered roads... that made the last 90+ miles white-knuckle time[:0] So I'm tip-toeing along in a Ford conversion van with all-season tires (not snows!), wondering what my driveway was going to look like... by the time I turned onto my road, it was snowing hard. As I approached the entrance I was relieved to see it only had a couple inches of snow in it... so I carefully wheel it in. As I start up the mostly-level 180' drive, my headlights revealed a series of snow drifts So I give it just a little more loud pedal, and the rear instantly breaks loose, and the left rear, aided by the pushing dolly, immediately heads for the snow bank- jackknife city[xx(] So there it sits- good news is the whole rig's well off the road and I'm in the house; bad news is it's blocking my driveway completely, and both my plow trucks are at my business...... Solution was to call one of the techs that has his own plow truck and bribe him to come and save me; he'll be here in the morning. So all will be well

GREAT time at York! This was my first time able to be there Sat., so I was able to attend the STF dinner- had a really good time! Met lots of good folks, and heard lots of good truck stories. Totally eliminated the annoyance factor of being accosted by a hustler trying to talk me out of a dolla'fiddy for his "babydinna" on the way in. Can't wait till the next one! (Dinner that is, not hustler!) Thoroughly enjoyed looking at all the Stude stuff; I realized this weekend that maybe the biggest draw for me to Studes, good people aside, is the incredible availibility of parts! I must have walked through SI's area looking at all the special clips and doodads 20 times, getting caught up in a bin of tiny bits and causing poor Ed- who was trying to work- to repeatedly squeeze by me[:I] Huge numbers of parts of all kinds for any Studebaker out there, NOS, used, repop- you name it! And not one table of cheapo China-made tools to be found[^] Looked over carefully, and photographed, every Stude- any model, any condition First thing Friday Gary Hearn got into my pocket for some stuff for Sanford, my M-16; then just a few hours later George O. dragged a forlorn Wagonaire into my life and extracted a few more sheckels. Several trips through the buildings yielded a few more trinkets, and a few more trips to the van...

Of course, the BEST part was the people! I got to meet up with valued friends, and make some more; as well as getting faces to go with Forum names! And we all shared a common quirk- a love for Studebakers[8D]

Thanks to Bob Palma for spending better than an hour yakking with me, whom he identified by my Forum button with bams50 on it from Bondobilly and Ellen... and others too, who found out my name actually is Bob, not BAMS Several more of you now have my face and voice to go with the Forum presence (sorry about that). And kudos to JP for still being able to duck a newbie looking to pick his brain- the Artful Dodger And thanks for all who helped me briefly immerse myself in all things Studebaker! Can't wait till Lancaster!!

Two regrets: Missed out on the pair of excellent 64 Commander fenders with inners for $20 each[}] And the rebuilt 259 for $500 I also missed

Oh well- there's always next year! [^]

When I get to my place with the hi-speed 'ne

OK. who did I artfully dodge ? I must be darn good if I didn't notice I was doing it, even with with JP sticker on my back.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    63 Daytona HT/4 speed
    63 Lark 2 door
    57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

OK. who did I artfully dodge ? I must be darn good if I didn't notice I was doing it, even with with JP sticker on my back.

JDP/Maryland
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      63 Daytona HT/4 speed
      63 Lark 2 door
      57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks for the detailed report Bob... will look forward to your pics. I gotta get there one of these years, even if the shipping would kill me!

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar
        3E-6/7-122
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

Thanks for the detailed report Bob... will look forward to your pics. I gotta get there one of these years, even if the shipping would kill me!

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar
          3E-6/7-122
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Good to met you Bob ....from one Bob to another

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
            "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1950 2R5
            1960 Champ
            1964 Daytona HT
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Good to met you Bob ....from one Bob to another

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
              1960 Champ
              1964 Daytona HT
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Here's all my York pics:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Likewise, Bob... You've got a great first name[^]

BTW- this is what I found when the sun came up this morning:

Just unloaded the car, pushed the van and dolly up the drive, plowed, towed the wagon in; piece a' cake!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Here's all my York pics:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Likewise, Bob... You've got a great first name[^]

BTW- this is what I found when the sun came up this morning:

Just unloaded the car, pushed the van and dolly up the drive, plowed, towed the wagon in; piece a' cake!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

I loved looking at all those great parts, I even saw a few parts I needed. Someday I hope to make the trek to mecca.

Randy_G
                    1959 Lark Sedan
                    This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

I loved looking at all those great parts, I even saw a few parts I needed. Someday I hope to make the trek to mecca.

Randy_G
                      1959 Lark Sedan
                      This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

Sounds like everybody had a great time.

Bob, you ought to look into one of those Quigley 4x4 van conversions ... I'll bet you wouldn't have gotten stuck in the driveway with one of those!!!

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Sounds like everybody had a great time.

Bob, you ought to look into one of those Quigley 4x4 van conversions ... I'll bet you wouldn't have gotten stuck in the driveway with one of those!!!

Comment

Bob I was looking forward to running into you in York yesterday but that didn't happen. iguess to much International Meet stuff to deal with. Well there will alsways be Lancaster. Glad to know you had a great time was treated well and got home safely.
                            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Bob I was looking forward to running into you in York yesterday but that didn't happen. iguess to much International Meet stuff to deal with. Well there will alsways be Lancaster. Glad to know you had a great time was treated well and got home safely.
                              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                              X