finless hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finless hawk

I recently purchased ( e-Bay) a 1957 Silver Hawk with fins deleted. Same rear fenders/trunk as 1956 Hawks ( other than Golden Hawk)
    The original production order which I just received makes no (?)reference to this body style.
    I once heard that Hawks sold to Europe were less the fins, however,prod. order indicates Oakland,CA as destination.
    Unfortunately, the seller only purchased this car to resell (e-Bay) and had no real history to provide me.
    Any input regarding "fin-delete" Hawks will be appreciated.
    Thank you

My guess would be someone removed the fins, liking the '56 form better.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction) 122 hrs.
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

My guess would be someone removed the fins, liking the '56 form better.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction) 122 hrs.
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

IMHO (for what its worth............VERY little), be HAPPY. I was never enamored of the finned Hawks, myself. Looks better without the "appendages" and less to rust. VERY likely that a former owner removed them. Let's hope filling the holes and rust repair was properly done. There was a black Hawk with "fin delete" on eBay a few monthe ago.....it looked pretty nice. Is this the one?

wagone and the old R2 Avanti

Comment

IMHO (for what its worth............VERY little), be HAPPY. I was never enamored of the finned Hawks, myself. Looks better without the "appendages" and less to rust. VERY likely that a former owner removed them. Let's hope filling the holes and rust repair was properly done. There was a black Hawk with "fin delete" on eBay a few monthe ago.....it looked pretty nice. Is this the one?

wagone and the old R2 Avanti

Comment

Yes, it was the Black 57 Hawk listed on e-Bay in December, from Memphis,TN..
            Turned out to be a fantastic deal, car is extremely nice inside and out and runs quite well.
            There is no sign of any bodywork being done, looks like came that way from the factory. Thanks for your inputs.

Comment

Yes, it was the Black 57 Hawk listed on e-Bay in December, from Memphis,TN..
              Turned out to be a fantastic deal, car is extremely nice inside and out and runs quite well.
              There is no sign of any bodywork being done, looks like came that way from the factory. Thanks for your inputs.

Comment

Forgot to add- I, too,never liked the "stuck-on" fins and would not have purchased this one if it had them. My all-time favorite is the 53 coupe. ( like my very first car, way back in 1958)hardtop.

Comment

Forgot to add- I, too,never liked the "stuck-on" fins and would not have purchased this one if it had them. My all-time favorite is the 53 coupe. ( like my very first car, way back in 1958)hardtop.

Comment

Could the rear fenders been replaced with '53-'55's ?

Comment

Could the rear fenders been replaced with '53-'55's ?

Comment

What was different about the early fenders compared to the "fin" type (with the fins added)? It would be as much work to replace the fenders as to fill the holes (attachment points for the fins) and repair the rust. I think the fenders were the same--just lacked the holes for the fins. I think that is one thing I never liked about the finned cars. At one glance you could see that the fins were added to the originals. My first Stude was a '54 coupe and the lines were...........stupendous. There recently was a light blue '53 on eBay (hardtop, I think) which was removed before the auction end.........someone must have bought it locally. I wonder.. how..... much....it.....sold....for?

wagone

wagone

Comment

What was different about the early fenders compared to the "fin" type (with the fins added)? It would be as much work to replace the fenders as to fill the holes (attachment points for the fins) and repair the rust. I think the fenders were the same--just lacked the holes for the fins. I think that is one thing I never liked about the finned cars. At one glance you could see that the fins were added to the originals. My first Stude was a '54 coupe and the lines were...........stupendous. There recently was a light blue '53 on eBay (hardtop, I think) which was removed before the auction end.........someone must have bought it locally. I wonder.. how..... much....it.....sold....for?

wagone

wagone

Comment

I just want to chime in and say that I LOVE the tailfins![8D] Different strokes..........

Comment

I just want to chime in and say that I LOVE the tailfins![8D] Different strokes..........

Comment

Working...
                              X