Gloss or Satin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloss or Satin?

Hello to all---Work is proceeding on my off frame of my 57 Hawk. I'm ready to paint the frame. Has anyone painted their frame and did you use satin, semi-gloss, or gloss paint--and were you happy with the results? I like that " slick look" but everyone tells me that it shows all the imperfections. Most people I have talked to say go with a satin paint. I would think the gloss would shed water and be able to be cleaned better? The frame is in good shape. Anyway, I would welcome everyones opinion on this, to help me make up my mind. I don't know what was oringinal, but I am making small changes to the car anyway. It will have a Stude engine though, and the body will be oringinal. Thanks to all! If you have any picture examples that would be great. On pg 38 of the new Turning Wheels, there is an undercarriage picture of a GT Hawk, but I can't tell if it's gloss or satin---the rear end looks gloss to me. Regards--Dan

IMHO a semi gloss looks better on chasis parts. A shiny frame looks too much like a trailer queen and doesn't usually look good for long. It's your car, your choice. Do what you like best.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I just bought a Sherwin-Williams "Chassis Paint" (lacquer) and it is somewhere between a satin and flat....

1955 President one owner
      Moncks Corner, SC

Comment

I am very surprised that they would make Chassis Paint in Lacquer!
        Anyone knows that either Enamel, Epoxy or Urethane is way tougher and more chemical resistant than that old school stuff![:0]

I don't get it, they are one of the oldest and best Paint Manufacturers![V]

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

NAPA/Martin Senour sells a Chassis Black high solids enamel paint that looks good and has held up well for me. It is between a satin and semi-gloss. NAPA #7243 for the rattle can.

Jeff

Comment

Just reporting the facts, Ma'am....

1955 President one owner
            Moncks Corner, SC

Comment

Satin or Semi-Gloss will work well and look good with minimal maintenance. Flat or Satin are prone to show up grease spots, and Gloss paint, will show off every little imperfection, and also usually very quickly get covered all over with unsightly and difficult to remove "water-spot" stains. I prefer using the long-lasting simple and durable POR-15 chassis paints.

Comment

Semi-gloss is the way to go. I've been told chassis black is gloss with 30% flattening agent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Jessie, Who makes the "POR-15" chassis paints?

1955 President one owner
                  Moncks Corner, SC

Comment

http://www.por15.com/ To see the entire line of products.
                    There are distributors, but I have always ordered my supplies direct from the company. Have been using it with great results for about 20 years now, am a very satisfied customer.

Comment

Thanks to all-----Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X