49 Champion roll up antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 49 Champion roll up antenna

I am looking for a roll antenna for my 49 champion.
    Any leads?
    Dick

I have some parts for one. That doesn't help you. Any '47 through '52 Champion or Commander would be the same, if that helps your search. They show up at swap meets. They also show up on Ebay. Then you're hoping no one else is looking for one at that time. They can get very pricey.
    If you're a member of SDC, you can also put a free want-ad in TURNING WHEELS.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have some parts for one. That doesn't help you. Any '47 through '52 Champion or Commander would be the same, if that helps your search. They show up at swap meets. They also show up on Ebay. Then you're hoping no one else is looking for one at that time. They can get very pricey.
      If you're a member of SDC, you can also put a free want-ad in TURNING WHEELS.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      Brad Johnson,
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I know this does not help you this moment, but there were at least 10 for sale at York this weekend. Maybe some of the vendors or members on the Forum can offer up the names of the vendors that had them.

BG

Comment

I know this does not help you this moment, but there were at least 10 for sale at York this weekend. Maybe some of the vendors or members on the Forum can offer up the names of the vendors that had them.

BG

Comment

I snagged a deal on a decent used one for my GT Hawk for $100, but there were a few NOS early ones for $250 or so.

JDP/Maryland
            64 R2 GT (Sid)
            spent to date $62,839.60
            63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
            spent to date $54664,75
            63 Daytona HT/4 speed
            63 Lark 2 door
            57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

I snagged a deal on a decent used one for my GT Hawk for $100, but there were a few NOS early ones for $250 or so.

JDP/Maryland
              64 R2 GT (Sid)
              spent to date $62,839.60
              63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
              spent to date $54664,75
              63 Daytona HT/4 speed
              63 Lark 2 door
              57 Wagon

JDP Maryland

Comment

I kept eyeing one for the C/K at $225 but I really only need the bakelite bezel and retaining nut.
                Brad Johnson,
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I kept eyeing one for the C/K at $225 but I really only need the bakelite bezel and retaining nut.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Isn't there some way to replace or splice the reel wire? That's what always breaks, isn't it? What is it anyway? It looks like heavy piano wire to me.

1950 Champion
                    Holdrege NE
                    John
                    1950 Champion
                    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                    Holdrege NE

Comment

Isn't there some way to replace or splice the reel wire? That's what always breaks, isn't it? What is it anyway? It looks like heavy piano wire to me.

1950 Champion
                      Holdrege NE
                      John
                      1950 Champion
                      W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                      Holdrege NE

Comment

Piano wire sounds about correct. Anyone know which note?

I rebuilt one years ago. The cable broke right at the base of the staff. I drilled out the remnant from the staff, cleaned the cable, then fluxed and soldered it back in. The pressure disc that rests against the fiber spindle cover had also been turning and wore a groove in the fiber, so it would not effectively turn the spindle. I think I put a slight pinch in the corners of the tabs so they would grab the fiber (I may have also added some epoxy). Also laid the staff out on an anvil and lightly (very lightly) tapped it with an upholstery tack hammer to straighten. The solid top-mast section needed some fileing with a jeweler's file. Lubricated the whole cable with lithium and clean the full staff every couple years with PB Blaster. It's worked great for fifteen years.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Piano wire sounds about correct. Anyone know which note?

I rebuilt one years ago. The cable broke right at the base of the staff. I drilled out the remnant from the staff, cleaned the cable, then fluxed and soldered it back in. The pressure disc that rests against the fiber spindle cover had also been turning and wore a groove in the fiber, so it would not effectively turn the spindle. I think I put a slight pinch in the corners of the tabs so they would grab the fiber (I may have also added some epoxy). Also laid the staff out on an anvil and lightly (very lightly) tapped it with an upholstery tack hammer to straighten. The solid top-mast section needed some fileing with a jeweler's file. Lubricated the whole cable with lithium and clean the full staff every couple years with PB Blaster. It's worked great for fifteen years.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Rockne
                            I take it that you didn't have to replace the wire since your antenna broke at the mast? My guess is the wire would be for a D note. Do you know where there's a piano salvage yard I can contact to get the wire? Or do you have a Steinway part number? Seriously, my antenna wire broke about four inches down from the mast. Can I get by with soldering the remaining (shortened) wire to the mast, or will that be too short?

1950 Champion
                            Holdrege NE
                            John
                            1950 Champion
                            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                            Holdrege NE

Comment

Rockne
                              I take it that you didn't have to replace the wire since your antenna broke at the mast? My guess is the wire would be for a D note. Do you know where there's a piano salvage yard I can contact to get the wire? Or do you have a Steinway part number? Seriously, my antenna wire broke about four inches down from the mast. Can I get by with soldering the remaining (shortened) wire to the mast, or will that be too short?

1950 Champion
                              Holdrege NE
                              John
                              1950 Champion
                              W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                              Holdrege NE

Comment

Working...
                              X