PDA

View Full Version : 49 Champion roll up antenna

dickg
02-29-2008, 10:29 AM
I am looking for a roll antenna for my 49 champion.
Any leads?
Dick

rockne10
02-29-2008, 09:17 PM
I have some parts for one. That doesn't help you. Any '47 through '52 Champion or Commander would be the same, if that helps your search. They show up at swap meets. They also show up on Ebay. Then you're hoping no one else is looking for one at that time. They can get very pricey.
If you're a member of SDC, you can also put a free want-ad in TURNING WHEELS.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/Rockne/th_Rocknegauges.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

rockne10
02-29-2008, 09:17 PM
I have some parts for one. That doesn't help you. Any '47 through '52 Champion or Commander would be the same, if that helps your search. They show up at swap meets. They also show up on Ebay. Then you're hoping no one else is looking for one at that time. They can get very pricey.
If you're a member of SDC, you can also put a free want-ad in TURNING WHEELS.

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/Rockne/th_Rocknegauges.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

bondobilly
03-01-2008, 09:19 PM
I know this does not help you this moment, but there were at least 10 for sale at York this weekend. Maybe some of the vendors or members on the Forum can offer up the names of the vendors that had them.

BG

bondobilly
03-01-2008, 09:19 PM
I know this does not help you this moment, but there were at least 10 for sale at York this weekend. Maybe some of the vendors or members on the Forum can offer up the names of the vendors that had them.

BG

JDP
03-01-2008, 09:33 PM
I snagged a deal on a decent used one for my GT Hawk for $100, but there were a few NOS early ones for $250 or so.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
spent to date $54664,75
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

JDP
03-01-2008, 09:33 PM
I snagged a deal on a decent used one for my GT Hawk for $100, but there were a few NOS early ones for $250 or so.

JDP/Maryland
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60
63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
spent to date $54664,75
63 Daytona HT/4 speed
63 Lark 2 door
57 Wagon

rockne10
03-01-2008, 09:53 PM
I kept eyeing one for the C/K at $225 but I really only need the bakelite bezel and retaining nut.:(

rockne10
03-01-2008, 09:53 PM
I kept eyeing one for the C/K at $225 but I really only need the bakelite bezel and retaining nut.:(

Lothar
03-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Isn't there some way to replace or splice the reel wire? That's what always breaks, isn't it? What is it anyway? It looks like heavy piano wire to me.

1950 Champion
Holdrege NE

Lothar
03-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Isn't there some way to replace or splice the reel wire? That's what always breaks, isn't it? What is it anyway? It looks like heavy piano wire to me.

1950 Champion
Holdrege NE

rockne10
03-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Piano wire sounds about correct. Anyone know which note?

I rebuilt one years ago. The cable broke right at the base of the staff. I drilled out the remnant from the staff, cleaned the cable, then fluxed and soldered it back in. The pressure disc that rests against the fiber spindle cover had also been turning and wore a groove in the fiber, so it would not effectively turn the spindle. I think I put a slight pinch in the corners of the tabs so they would grab the fiber (I may have also added some epoxy). Also laid the staff out on an anvil and lightly (very lightly) tapped it with an upholstery tack hammer to straighten. The solid top-mast section needed some fileing with a jeweler's file. Lubricated the whole cable with lithium and clean the full staff every couple years with PB Blaster. It's worked great for fifteen years.

rockne10
03-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Piano wire sounds about correct. Anyone know which note?

I rebuilt one years ago. The cable broke right at the base of the staff. I drilled out the remnant from the staff, cleaned the cable, then fluxed and soldered it back in. The pressure disc that rests against the fiber spindle cover had also been turning and wore a groove in the fiber, so it would not effectively turn the spindle. I think I put a slight pinch in the corners of the tabs so they would grab the fiber (I may have also added some epoxy). Also laid the staff out on an anvil and lightly (very lightly) tapped it with an upholstery tack hammer to straighten. The solid top-mast section needed some fileing with a jeweler's file. Lubricated the whole cable with lithium and clean the full staff every couple years with PB Blaster. It's worked great for fifteen years.

Lothar
03-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Rockne
I take it that you didn't have to replace the wire since your antenna broke at the mast? My guess is the wire would be for a D note. Do you know where there's a piano salvage yard I can contact to get the wire? Or do you have a Steinway part number? ;) Seriously, my antenna wire broke about four inches down from the mast. Can I get by with soldering the remaining (shortened) wire to the mast, or will that be too short?

1950 Champion
Holdrege NE

Lothar
03-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Rockne
I take it that you didn't have to replace the wire since your antenna broke at the mast? My guess is the wire would be for a D note. Do you know where there's a piano salvage yard I can contact to get the wire? Or do you have a Steinway part number? ;) Seriously, my antenna wire broke about four inches down from the mast. Can I get by with soldering the remaining (shortened) wire to the mast, or will that be too short?

1950 Champion
Holdrege NE

rockne10
03-02-2008, 09:51 AM
That should be plenty. Those antennas will extend about five and a half feet as is, so yours will only go up five feet, two inches. You'll still be able to pull in Tierra delFuego.

To clarify my previous post, I did not anvil and tap the hollow staff portions, simply hand coaxed them to a straight alignment. Tapping on these will oval them and make it impossible for the higher shafts to descend. I did tap in the solid top shaft; probably why I had to file it for nicks and roundness.

rockne10
03-02-2008, 09:51 AM
That should be plenty. Those antennas will extend about five and a half feet as is, so yours will only go up five feet, two inches. You'll still be able to pull in Tierra delFuego.

To clarify my previous post, I did not anvil and tap the hollow staff portions, simply hand coaxed them to a straight alignment. Tapping on these will oval them and make it impossible for the higher shafts to descend. I did tap in the solid top shaft; probably why I had to file it for nicks and roundness.