Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slick Street Stuff front suspension setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slick Street Stuff front suspension setup?

Greetings!

I am in the early stages of building a 51 Champ Starlite street car. I would like to update the existing suspension and wondered if anyone out there has ever seen or used the tubular A-arm kit from Slick Street Stuff (advertised in Turning Wheels). It looks like a pretty cool setup, giving disc brakes and rack & pinion. I considered a frame stub (like Fatman's) or possibly doing the job myself, but I want this thing TRUE.

Thanks!

Zeke

quote:Originally posted by mrzeke
    Greetings!

I am in the early stages of building a 51 Champ Starlite street car. I would like to update the existing suspension and wondered if anyone out there has ever seen or used the tubular A-arm kit from Slick Street Stuff (advertised in Turning Wheels). It looks like a pretty cool setup, giving disc brakes and rack & pinion. I considered a frame stub (like Fatman's) or possibly doing the job myself, but I want this thing TRUE.

Thanks!

Zeke
    Here are a couple of links to discussions on this forum regarding Slick's front suspension:

Paul
    Winston-Salem NC
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Hmmm....veeerrry interesting. This is the kind of feedback I've been looking for. I know fatman's has a very good reputation. Perhaps I should go that route.....or.....just rebuild to stock & put on 52 spindles. I hear that effectivly gives you a 1 or 2 inch lower.

Comment

Greetings, Zeke,

IMHO, You're on the right track. Decide upon the maximum intended use. If you often corner hard enough enough to scrape the chrome off the door handles, then a real road-race suspension is worth the money. (BTW, Fatman ain't it, either.) For real world driving. just what you suggested, build using the best Stude parts and you'll be money ahead and pain avoided. BTDT.

jack vines

PackardV8
        PackardV8

Comment

I have a '62 Hawk with the Slick Street Suspension. I went with a 3 u-joint (with support bearing) setup for the steering so that I can use stock manifolds with a Chevy small block due to daily usage. It is a manual rack but the only time there is an issue with hard steering is for parking.

Comment

Greetings!

Thanks!

Zeke
            Zeke, i am also bldg a 51 starlight st rod. after much research the car has been engineered using the stock front and using custom springs to lower the front end. belive when i tell you there was alot of thought and questions asked before that decision was made. good luk;nick

Comment

Thanks Nick....

I have been going round & round on this. I have a 3.0 Ford & 5 speed I plan on using for power along with the rear end out of the 01' wrecked 01' Ranger I pirated this stuff from. I assume from all I've read that I'll need special springs as this engine is much lighter than the original 170. My next "to do" is to make sure the frame is plumb. It's a good, solid CA frame, but had been in a front-ender at some time in the past. Whoever repaired the horns welded them on cockeyed.

Nick, did you do anything spindle-wise to drop the front? Or...did you do all your drop with springs?

What power will you be running?

Thx, Zeke

Comment

Thanks Nick....

I have been going round & round on this. I have a 3.0 Ford & 5 speed I plan on using for power along with the rear end out of the 01' wrecked 01' Ranger I pirated this stuff from. I assume from all I've read that I'll need special springs as this engine is much lighter than the original 170. My next "to do" is to make sure the frame is plumb. It's a good, solid CA frame, but had been in a front-ender at some time in the past. Whoever repaired the horns welded them on cockeyed.

Nick, did you do anything spindle-wise to drop the front? Or...did you do all your drop with springs?

What power will you be running?

Thx, Zeke
                Zeke,Iam running a stude 289 bored out to 304[R3]using an r4 intake with dual quad edelbrocks. the rear end is a dana 44 with 409 gears and the fairborn axle. the tranny is a 700r4. the dropping is accomplished with the custom springs[APP.2INCHES] THE CHASSIS IS BEING DONE AS WE SPEAK. it should be finished in about 3 weeks. this car is going to be my dream car and a lot of research and questions have been asked and answered by some very knowledgeable people on this forum and the car is being designed by a stude[IN MY OPINION EXPERT] DAVE TBOW. GOOD LUCK, I WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED OF THE PROGRESS AND OUTCOME OF THE CHASSIS WORK. NICK

Comment

Zeke,
                  I think you will find that a 52 spindle is identical to a 51. I have read up on this years ago and the 53 up spindle is the one for the 1 1/2" to 2" drop. I remember some discussion about the different bushings, but the details escape me. Someone on this forum will know, but some of the experts are probably in, or near, York right now and will be out of this loop for a few days. I have considered this swap for my 52 in the past.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks 52,

This is my first foray onto this forum. Already I can see the value of sharing ideas with other Stude fans. I'm sure I'll be asking a ton more "stupid" questions during this planning & building. process.

Comment

The late 53 and up spindles will only drop the front end about 1/2" to 3/4". The "plane" of the axle stub sits higher on the spindle, thus dropping the front end! But, only 3/4" at most

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

Jim,

Appreciate the response. Hmmmm....is it worth monkeying with for 3/4 of an inch? Dunno!

Zeke

Comment

Working...
                        X