PDA

View Full Version : Learnin' the blues...

Steve T
02-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi all--

Production order for my '62 Lark arrived yesterday from SNM. Very cool to find that Betty's always been an Ontario car (knew the half-dozen owners prior to the fellow I got the car from were in the Belleville/Brockville area; now I know the Lark was sold new through a small dealership in Campbellford, which is the same region). Also neat to see how well the option list lines up with the car as it now exists.

There was one slight surprise though. Betty is currently Riviera Blue (or a close facsimile), a non-metallic medium blue with a hint of green in it, which was a genuine Stude colour; a bit of Internet trawling round revealed the name and colour code on an old Ditzler chip chart. Now I did know the paint wasn't original; in one or two spots on the car another, paler, blue is discernible beneath, but I had believed the current Riviera Blue was probably Betty's third "dress", and a return to the original shade. But...the P/O says it ain't so! Up near the top it says METALLIC BLUE. Well, Riviera Blue ain't metallic. More puzzling, the '62 Stude Ditzler chart I found online doesn't even show a metallic blue...

I did notice, though, that the Ditzler Stude charts stop at 1964, meaning they pertain particularly to South Bend cars. Betty is a Hamilton-built car. Could there have been any Canada-only colours for '62 Larks, and was any of those a metallic blue? It would be cool to return my Lark to its original shade at some point...

Meantime, I now have another location to take my Stude to...the street address of that little dealership in Campbellford. (There's a collection of vintage aircraft, and a classic-car garage, in that town too. Should be a nice visit. Roll on spring!!)

Cheers

S.

StudeRich
02-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Steve; your Lark is not a stripped down 2 or 4dr. sedan, ie:Heavy duty sedan for fleet use is it? I could understand it being painted Med. Met. Blue to match the rest of the fleet if it was.

But I doubt that would be a standard color even in Canada, as the only blue was the Riviera Blue, and it it was light Blue, baby blue actually, and of course as you know a solid color. It "COULD" have been special ordered, I suppose though.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

StudeRich
02-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Steve; your Lark is not a stripped down 2 or 4dr. sedan, ie:Heavy duty sedan for fleet use is it? I could understand it being painted Med. Met. Blue to match the rest of the fleet if it was.

But I doubt that would be a standard color even in Canada, as the only blue was the Riviera Blue, and it it was light Blue, baby blue actually, and of course as you know a solid color. It "COULD" have been special ordered, I suppose though.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Dwain G.
02-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Steve, what is that Ditzler color code you referred to? And what is the paint number on the production order? Probably starts with a P62_ _. Last question, it says Metallic Blue 'near the top'......top of what?
If you look under the dash all around the outside of the glovebox liner you might come up with the original paint information there too.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/images/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

Dwain G.
02-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Steve, what is that Ditzler color code you referred to? And what is the paint number on the production order? Probably starts with a P62_ _. Last question, it says Metallic Blue 'near the top'......top of what?
If you look under the dash all around the outside of the glovebox liner you might come up with the original paint information there too.

Dwain G.

8E45E
02-29-2008, 04:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by Steve T

Hi all--

But...the P/O says it ain't so! Up near the top it says METALLIC BLUE. Well, Riviera Blue ain't metallic. More puzzling, the '62 Stude Ditzler chart I found online doesn't even show a metallic blue...

There is was a 1961 'Spring color' called Burlington Blue; perhaps a carryover for a few 1962 cars.

Check out this previous thread:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7481&SearchTerms=burlington,blue

Craig.

8E45E
02-29-2008, 04:12 PM

Hi all--

But...the P/O says it ain't so! Up near the top it says METALLIC BLUE. Well, Riviera Blue ain't metallic. More puzzling, the '62 Stude Ditzler chart I found online doesn't even show a metallic blue...

There is was a 1961 'Spring color' called Burlington Blue; perhaps a carryover for a few 1962 cars.

Check out this previous thread:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7481&SearchTerms=burlington,blue

Craig.

Steve T
02-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Hi again all--

Thanks much for the info; this stuff's gold (or blue, as the case may be!):)

Dwain G: The Ditzler chart online has two codes for each shade, but the obviously relevant one here is "P6212" for Riviera Blue. (The other chart code is "12400".) The number next to METALLIC BLUE at the top of the P/O is "6218"; no "P" prefix but otherwise apparently another number from the same sequence. (The '62 Ditzler chart has no "P6218" on it, though.)

StudeRich: I don't think my Lark was a fleet car; it's a Deluxe two-door sedan, yes, but has been optioned into a near-Regal (full wheelcovers, stainless around the windshield/backlight, et cetera). Plus, it was sold through what was clearly a very small dealership (a garage, really) in a small eastern-Ontario town, which would seem to me to be an odd place for a fleet sale. A special order? Maybe...

Craig: Had a look at Burlington Blue. Very nice shade! And given that Burlington (the city) is just northeast of Hamilton, and that the street from which one can still view the STUDEBAKER sign on the old Hamilton plant is Burlington Street...I'd be delighted if that turned out to be the answer.

Also on the '61 chart was "Alaskan Blue", which looks nearer my car's current shade than Riviera Blue, actually. At this point I am beginning to think my Lark may never have been Riviera Blue after all...for instance, when I first saw what is now my Lark online, I actually mistook it for another Lark I had seen at a cruise earlier last year, which appeared to me to be the same shade. Later I realized my mistake...the car I'd previously seen was Bob Barrick's beautifully restored '60 two-door. But I still think the shade is the same. Which, given the correctness of Bob's '60, must mean that mid-blue isn't Riviera...on his Lark or on mine!

In any case...this info hunt really is a great deal of fun.

Now if it would just quit snowing...

Cheers and thanks again!

S.

Steve T
02-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Hi again all--

Thanks much for the info; this stuff's gold (or blue, as the case may be!):)

Dwain G: The Ditzler chart online has two codes for each shade, but the obviously relevant one here is "P6212" for Riviera Blue. (The other chart code is "12400".) The number next to METALLIC BLUE at the top of the P/O is "6218"; no "P" prefix but otherwise apparently another number from the same sequence. (The '62 Ditzler chart has no "P6218" on it, though.)

StudeRich: I don't think my Lark was a fleet car; it's a Deluxe two-door sedan, yes, but has been optioned into a near-Regal (full wheelcovers, stainless around the windshield/backlight, et cetera). Plus, it was sold through what was clearly a very small dealership (a garage, really) in a small eastern-Ontario town, which would seem to me to be an odd place for a fleet sale. A special order? Maybe...

Craig: Had a look at Burlington Blue. Very nice shade! And given that Burlington (the city) is just northeast of Hamilton, and that the street from which one can still view the STUDEBAKER sign on the old Hamilton plant is Burlington Street...I'd be delighted if that turned out to be the answer.

Also on the '61 chart was "Alaskan Blue", which looks nearer my car's current shade than Riviera Blue, actually. At this point I am beginning to think my Lark may never have been Riviera Blue after all...for instance, when I first saw what is now my Lark online, I actually mistook it for another Lark I had seen at a cruise earlier last year, which appeared to me to be the same shade. Later I realized my mistake...the car I'd previously seen was Bob Barrick's beautifully restored '60 two-door. But I still think the shade is the same. Which, given the correctness of Bob's '60, must mean that mid-blue isn't Riviera...on his Lark or on mine!

In any case...this info hunt really is a great deal of fun.

Now if it would just quit snowing...

Cheers and thanks again!

S.

Dwain G.
03-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Even though I can't help, I certainly find all this very interesting. I hope someone will be able to scan a color chip of 6218 Metallic. It may be a Canadian color.....oops, I mean colour!
I would describe Riviera Blue as a light blue, and Alaskan Blue one shade darker.
There's a good possibility too that this car was repainted with a 'stock' color from the inventory of a paint shop or their supplier.

Dwain G.

Dwain G.
03-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Even though I can't help, I certainly find all this very interesting. I hope someone will be able to scan a color chip of 6218 Metallic. It may be a Canadian color.....oops, I mean colour!
I would describe Riviera Blue as a light blue, and Alaskan Blue one shade darker.
There's a good possibility too that this car was repainted with a 'stock' color from the inventory of a paint shop or their supplier.

Dwain G.

8E45E
03-01-2008, 10:45 AM
The number next to METALLIC BLUE at the top of the P/O is "6218"; no "P" prefix but otherwise apparently another number from the same sequence. (The '62 Ditzler chart has no "P6218" on it, though.)

That is most interesting! And I hope you do paint it back to P6218. There is a long-time auto body shop supplier here that will probably have the old C-I-L Paint (now known as ICI Autocolor) catologs for that yaer. I will call him on Monday to see what he may have in his archives.

Craig

8E45E
03-01-2008, 10:45 AM
The number next to METALLIC BLUE at the top of the P/O is "6218"; no "P" prefix but otherwise apparently another number from the same sequence. (The '62 Ditzler chart has no "P6218" on it, though.)

That is most interesting! And I hope you do paint it back to P6218. There is a long-time auto body shop supplier here that will probably have the old C-I-L Paint (now known as ICI Autocolor) catologs for that yaer. I will call him on Monday to see what he may have in his archives.

Craig

8E45E
03-04-2008, 07:57 AM

I did notice, though, that the Ditzler Stude charts stop at 1964, meaning they pertain particularly to South Bend cars. Betty is a Hamilton-built car. Could there have been any Canada-only colours for '62 Larks, and was any of those a metallic blue? It would be cool to return my Lark to its original shade at some point...

Here's a piece on Hamilton-built 1962's. Indeed, it does list Metallic Blue!!:)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2057/2309421503_590146f7c9_b.jpg

Craig

8E45E
03-04-2008, 07:57 AM

Here's a piece on Hamilton-built 1962's. Indeed, it does list Metallic Blue!!:)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2057/2309421503_590146f7c9_b.jpg

Craig

Steve T
03-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Craig--

Way cool! Many thanks for finding that. Now to track down a chip of this (or another Lark or a GT that's definitely Metallic Blue), to see just what the shade looks like.

I took another look at the '62 Stude Ditzler chart online BTW and the numbers line up nicely: they run from P6210 (Velvet Black) to P6217 (Metallic Brown Poly)...next one along would be my Lark's P6218.

Also glanced at the '63 chart: had a brainwave, my Lark is a late production '62 (completion date May 22/62), and I wondered if this P6218 blue was perhaps an early batch of a '63 shade applied (with a late-addition sequential paint code) to some of the last '62s. "Blue Mist" was added to the lineup for '63...hmm...

Thanks again for the info. This forum rocks!

Steve

Steve T
03-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Craig--

Way cool! Many thanks for finding that. Now to track down a chip of this (or another Lark or a GT that's definitely Metallic Blue), to see just what the shade looks like.

I took another look at the '62 Stude Ditzler chart online BTW and the numbers line up nicely: they run from P6210 (Velvet Black) to P6217 (Metallic Brown Poly)...next one along would be my Lark's P6218.

Also glanced at the '63 chart: had a brainwave, my Lark is a late production '62 (completion date May 22/62), and I wondered if this P6218 blue was perhaps an early batch of a '63 shade applied (with a late-addition sequential paint code) to some of the last '62s. "Blue Mist" was added to the lineup for '63...hmm...

Thanks again for the info. This forum rocks!

Steve

8E45E
03-05-2008, 11:50 PM

There were two more colors added later as 'spring colors', P6223 Limette Rallye and P6224 Rally Russet metallic. You will notice that Sales Bulletin is dated November 6, 1961, rather early in the selling year, although Metallic Blue may not have been immediately available right from the start of 1962 production. The Studebaker color chart I have here stops at P6217 as well, but it is 'Printed in USA', though. Here is a Lark that is painted Limette Rallye.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2195/2313349493_9848f45f59_b.jpg

Craig

8E45E
03-05-2008, 11:50 PM

There were two more colors added later as 'spring colors', P6223 Limette Rallye and P6224 Rally Russet metallic. You will notice that Sales Bulletin is dated November 6, 1961, rather early in the selling year, although Metallic Blue may not have been immediately available right from the start of 1962 production. The Studebaker color chart I have here stops at P6217 as well, but it is 'Printed in USA', though. Here is a Lark that is painted Limette Rallye.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2195/2313349493_9848f45f59_b.jpg

Craig

Steve T
04-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Hi all--

Well, I think I've found what P6218 Metallic Blue looks like. Was applying polish to Betty the '62 Lark and took a hard look at the two or three chips that reveal an earlier, somewhat paler, and metallic coat of paint beneath. I had thought that colour was a second coat over the original, but that was because I believed the current colour to be Riviera Blue--a '62 shade--reapplied over a later light blue to take the car back to original. Which I now know is not the case. Apart from anything else Riviera was much lighter than this.

One spot in particular--the tip of a drip molding--cracks the case: it has, for whatever reason, been sanded down to the metal, and all the layers are visible: the mid-blue on top; primer; the lighter metallic shade; more primer; then oxidized bare metal (looking like bronze). Meaning there is no other colour coat under the light blue, and thus those chips in the paint reveal P6218 Metallic Blue. To my eye it's a metallic sky-blue with a hint of green in it, rather like a bluer, paler variant of Avanti turquoise. Now, how to match it (preferably, for convenience' sake, to something modern)? Stay tuned.

Incidentally, Bob Barrick of the SDC Hamilton Chapter saw my Lark firsthand on Sunday and agreed that the colour Betty wears now, although a bit faded, is the same shade his own '60 Lark two-door (now with a different owner) wore: 1960 Gulfstream Blue. Haven't the faintest how a '62 ended up wearing a '60 colour; presumably a previous owner saw Gulfstream Blue on an earlier car and just liked its looks...at any rate the paintjob was very comprehensive, all the interior metalwork is Gulfstream also and smooth as glass to boot. I almost hate to contemplate changing it back...

S.

8E45E
04-22-2008, 01:55 PM

Hi all--

Well, I think I've found what P6218 Metallic Blue looks like. Was applying polish to Betty the '62 Lark and took a hard look at the two or three chips that reveal an earlier, somewhat paler, and metallic coat of paint beneath. I had thought that colour was a second coat over the original, but that was because I believed the current colour to be Riviera Blue--a '62 shade--reapplied over a later light blue to take the car back to original. Which I now know is not the case. Apart from anything else Riviera was much lighter than this.

One spot in particular--the tip of a drip molding--cracks the case: it has, for whatever reason, been sanded down to the metal, and all the layers are visible: the mid-blue on top; primer; the lighter metallic shade; more primer; then oxidized bare metal (looking like bronze). Meaning there is no other colour coat under the light blue, and thus those chips in the paint reveal P6218 Metallic Blue. To my eye it's a metallic sky-blue with a hint of green in it, rather like a bluer, paler variant of Avanti turquoise. Now, how to match it (preferably, for convenience' sake, to something modern)? Stay tuned.

Incidentally, Bob Barrick of the SDC Hamilton Chapter saw my Lark firsthand on Sunday and agreed that the colour Betty wears now, although a bit faded, is the same shade his own '60 Lark two-door (now with a different owner) wore: 1960 Gulfstream Blue. Haven't the faintest how a '62 ended up wearing a '60 colour; presumably a previous owner saw Gulfstream Blue on an earlier car and just liked its looks...at any rate the paintjob was very comprehensive, all the interior metalwork is Gulfstream also and smooth as glass to boot. I almost hate to contemplate changing it back...

S.

Now that I think about it, I do remember a low mileage '62 Lark Regal that was for sale in Edmonton in 1978 that was Metallic Blue. It still had a Canada Track & Traffic magazne 'Car of the Year' sticker in the back window. It was a medium shade of blue, and didn't have any 'green' in it at all. It may still be up in the Edmonton area as far as I know. I would carefully romove one of your front door panels, and see what color lurks under it. That would no doubt be one spot for a 'perfect match' as it would have been covered since 1962!!

Craig