53 coupe question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 coupe question

So new to Studes, I don't even have one yet. Bought it last week, but can't go get it till the end of the month. It's just a shell, no engine, trans, interior or front clip, but a lot of pieces in boxes. I think it is too far gone/stripped to be restored, but thought it would be a fine car to make a driver out of. Don't want to change the look, just use available engine/trans/interior/ etc.
    Naturally, I'm reseaching in anticipation. Read that the frame was weak (thin metal) and the factory solution was shimming the body to compensate for the sag? Surely someone has a better solution?
    I just converted the king pin spindles on my 41 Pontiac to ball joints, so I could add discs, R&P, etc. Anyone done a similar upgrade to a 53/54 Stude? If this a purist site and these questions are inappropriate, can you point me to another forum?
    Thank you, Just an old guy in Texas who couldn't let this one go to the crusher.

Welcome oldguy. No, this site is not all purist. I am new to this forum myself, so thyere are a lot of guys here that can give you a lot more info. Turner Brake might be the answer to your disc brake
    question. You can use your Stude spindles and it is a bolt on.
    If you have a Pillared coupe, you won't have as much sag problem as with a hardtop. I am working on the same type project. Mine was stripped of drive train but not butchered. If yours is still intact, and not butchered you might want to give strong consideration to not
    "cutting" even though you are modifying.

Tex in Alabama
    53 starlight commander

Tex E. Grier

Comment

You may or may not have heard this, but in '54 Studebaker put more effective brakes on their cars. They increased the diameter of both front and rear brakes by one inch. An owner can swap the entire brakes, backing plates and all from a later model, possibly though 64, for sufficient brakes on the 53s. I put 55s on mine in 1960.

Unless your frame is badly rusted, yes it's thin, no it's not really weak, just light. It will flex a little, but its not unsafe.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction) 122 hrs.
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

You didn't tell us if yours is a 53 or 54. '54 had a somewhat improved frame and you could even use a later Hawk frame if you wanted to. There's a front suspension kit available to add tubular A-arms and accomodate disc brakes - there's also kits just to adapt disc brakes. That said, the original front suspension's very rugged and easily rebuilt - parts are plentiful for everything mechanical and some trim too.
        There's lots of Stude engines to be had as well as adapters to fit later 5-spd or O/D automatics to the Stude engines. Welcome to our world!

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

'54 and up (through '64) C/K models had an additional wing shaped crossmember. One can be adapted to your '53 to help stiffen it.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

What do you mean by the "front clip"? If that includes the hood, fenders, grills etc., then your quest is just barely started.

Steve Hudson
            The Dalles, Oregon
            1937 Dictator Flatback sedan (for sale)
            1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
            1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
            1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
            1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
            1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
            The Dalles, Oregon
            1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
            1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
            1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

This sounds encouraging. Yes, it's a 53 coupe. It included a parts car that I was only going to grab the windows and doors out of cause the rest had been butchered up, but the frame is intact, and the seller doesn't know if that one is a 53 or 54. Looks like I'll take the frame. Yes, by front clip I meant fenders, hood, grill, etc., but by chance I
              d seen a hood and front fenders for sale, so they are on hold for me. (out of state). I'm sure I'll be hunting parts, but probably just the grills, valance and bumper.
              I'm pretty sold on disc brakes. Very interested in technical information on the front end.
              I converted my king pins to ball joints on my 41 so I could build in anti dive and positive caster. Most king pin setups used concentrics and had very limited caster adjustment. Anyone have the factory specs and adjustment range for the original setup? I'm assuming about +5* for a Power rack and pinion set up. Seems the little coupe would be very responsive to that.
              Sorry if I'm bubbling over. They look like they should be quick and nimble, but I've heard they weren't. Gained enough knowledge and confidence in 2 hotrod builds that I want to try and build one that drives like it looks.
              Is there a central knowledge source for all these upgrades?
              I got a copy of John Bridges "Studebakers finest" yesterday and read it cover to cover last night. I'm stoked.

Comment

He did it too, "Little Coupe." Thats' a 120 inch wheel base. Not a little car.

Knowledge source for the updates? You have tapped into it here. Also, use "Studebaker's Finest" for the last word on finish. I did and my car was awarded 386 points (out of 400) on it's first time out.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
                Tom Bredehoft
                '53 Commander Coupe
                '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction) 122 hrs.
                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by oldguy829
                  I'm sure I'll be hunting parts, but probably just the grills, valance and bumper.
                  Like Steve said...those parts (and the hood) are becoming "unobtanium". Don't hesitate to buy those parts when you see them. They may sound expensive (and probably are) but they will be more next week. [:0]

There are a couple of other sheet metal parts across the front of the car that are also hard to find. Even grill bars (shared with the sedans unlike the grill surrounds) are getting tough.

They are beautiful cars and make great hot rods.

Welcome!

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

That car is the first one made by an American manufacturer that was less than 5' high. It's heavy but has a low center of gravity.
                    Tom MaCahill wrote some of the first road tests and said it was nearly impossible to put in to a slide. Remember that's relative to other cars of the period.
                    Beafier sway bar up front and add a rear sway bar and it's a true road machine.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Size is relative I guess. My 41 is 119 inch wheelbase, 3600 pounds and stands about 6 feet tall. I may call the Stude "petite" lol.

Funny how the bug bites you. My folks had a 51 stude back in about 55, I loved it. Always thought the 57-60 Hawks were in a class of their own. Drooled on Jack Chisenhalls 53, till I rode in it, then I oozed from other orifices. But i've never owned a Stude. Then I hear about this very incomplete one, about the time I hear about the front end available, next day I had lunch with Jack and got to talking studes......... and now every spare minute of the next 3 years is committed. Life is good.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'll try to calm down some. Sorry to be such a newbie, but the name Dick Steinkamp rings a bell. Like I should whisper the name. Look forward to some interesting talks.

Comment

Yeah, Ya gotta watch out for that Dick Steinkamp guy, he doesn't know anything about 53s. Just kidding, Dick.
                          Actually, oldguy, Dick is one of the best resources, and foremost experts on the 53 on this site. I've only seen Chisenhalls car in the magazines, so I can't really comment, but I've seen Dick's car up close and had a "full on blast off on the freeway" test drive in his car..... and WOW, what a great machine Dick built ! ! ! Besides that, the paint on Dicks car is perhaps one of the best black paint jobs I've ever seen on any car.
                          I have a 54 Coupe which has been a beater hotrod all its life, and hopefully will stay that way as long as I have it. I love doing burnouts with it, so I can't have the paint too shiny. Good luck on the project. Ask for anything you need, right here. You'll probably have several of them within a day or two.
                          sals54

Comment

You sound like me. I just started my 53 coupe at age 63. I had a 53 starlight when I was 16-18, but it was a champion (6), still loved it. I have had a number of studes over the years, along with many "other" brands. But now, I am building my dream old school hot rod. It sounds like you have gotten somewhat lucky on parts. DON'T let anything for these cars slip through your fingers. Even the smallest part. I think you may be overconcerned about the front end geometry, but there are many bolt on's if you want "modern". Your engine choise will probably be a great deal lighter than the original stude. It does sound like you are going to use a non-stude. This is one of the main handling problems with these cars. It seems you want disc brakes, again bolt on. If you ar not going for killer horsepower, then a S-10 rear is a good choise. I get as excited about my project as you. I thought maybe I was the crazy. Good luck. live your dream.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Obviously I don't know Dick, (maybe there's a better way to say that) but the name conjurs up some "Legend" status. Sometimes forget those guys are real. Likewise, I really shouldn't mention Jack's 53 in any conversation about what I might build. Worlds apart. He is just so supportive and enthusiastic. My son (now 17) went to the nationals with him a couple of times, and the fire was lit. We have been doing a ground up build on a 28 ford highboy sedan for nearly 3 years. Our first Hotrod. My 41 Poncho was a driver and I just did upgrades when my son was too preoccupied to work on his. I guess it is some kind of addiction. I'm lukewarm to the carshow side of it, but a day in the shop struggling with some upgrade or fabrication is as good as it gets. maybe someday my skills will catch up with my imagination.

Comment

Working...
                              X