This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker "Sweptside" Pick Up

I was looking at the 58 Studebaker Provincial Wagon on Ebay and was wondering if it would have been overly complicated for Studebaker to have produced a pick up truck on the lines of the Dodge Sweptside produced from 1957-1959. Take the back fenders from a 58 Studebaker wagon and mate to the truck. Combine that with some chrome, bright paint schemes and an upgraded interior might would have made for a pretty good looking item or at least, an interesting one. It was a thought. Any comments?

Bill Sapp
    Hamlet, NC

Interesting to say the least,it would be unusual as were the Mopar finned pick-ups.I wonder if any forum members are handy with Photo-Shop & could come up with something.

kmul-owner of the $$$$ eating GT

Comment

Interesting to say the least,it would be unusual as were the Mopar finned pick-ups.I wonder if any forum members are handy with Photo-Shop & could come up with something.

kmul-owner of the $$$$ eating GT

Comment

These Brooks Stevens drawings from about 1957 don't have the fins, but wouldn't it have been great to see this in production?

[img] http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/53C.jpg [/img]
        Dwain G.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

These Brooks Stevens drawings from about 1957 don't have the fins, but wouldn't it have been great to see this in production?

[img] http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/53C.jpg [/img]
          Dwain G.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

What if you just happened to have a set of '58 Packard fins and tail lights [?]
            The plot thinkens...

StudeDave [8D]
            V/P San Diego County SDC
            San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
            '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
            '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
            '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
            '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
            '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

What if you just happened to have a set of '58 Packard fins and tail lights [?]
              The plot thinkens...

StudeDave [8D]
              V/P San Diego County SDC
              San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
              '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
              '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
              '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
              '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
              '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Studebaker would have had to have produced a full width box in 1958 in order to graft much of anything onto the 1958 pickups. The only bed offered by Studebaker in 1958 was a "Stepside" type box with pontoon type fenders...nothing to graft anything onto. Had Stude had the Dodge box it later bought from Chrysler, the results would have been nice if executed properly. Someone could probably do it now given the time and inclination.

Studedude1961
                --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Studebaker would have had to have produced a full width box in 1958 in order to graft much of anything onto the 1958 pickups. The only bed offered by Studebaker in 1958 was a "Stepside" type box with pontoon type fenders...nothing to graft anything onto. Had Stude had the Dodge box it later bought from Chrysler, the results would have been nice if executed properly. Someone could probably do it now given the time and inclination.

Studedude1961
                  --1963 Cruiser

Comment

There was a vendor in Omaha that had a left-side fin for a '58 2-door. If he'd have had a pair, I'd have bought them in a heartbeat. In fact, I watched an NOS pair run on ebay about 5 times before the seller gave up. Only AFTER I'd seen them run over and over, did I come to realize I should have bought them.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

There was a vendor in Omaha that had a left-side fin for a '58 2-door. If he'd have had a pair, I'd have bought them in a heartbeat. In fact, I watched an NOS pair run on ebay about 5 times before the seller gave up. Only AFTER I'd seen them run over and over, did I come to realize I should have bought them.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have my doubts about the Sweptside conversion as applied to a C-cab as you describe. However given that Studebaker bought the tooling for the Spaceside box from Dodge, it seems possible that the Sweptside tooling could have been purchased as well. However, by that time the T-cab had replaced the C-cab as the primary light Stude pickup, and I doubt that Dodge would have offered the Sweptside tooling to Stude at the same time it was producing that truck itself. All nutty speculation on my part, and doesn't even touch on how that box would have looked mated to a C-cab or T-cab.

On the other hand, having seen a couple of "Stude Caminos" made out of Lark wagons I'd venture a guess and say that a pickup made out of a 56-58 wagon might actually be better looking than the Lark-based versions. It might also be an option for saving such a wagon for someone with the bodywork skills to do it.

Any Photoshop experts out there willing to give it a try digitally?

Ed

Comment

I have my doubts about the Sweptside conversion as applied to a C-cab as you describe. However given that Studebaker bought the tooling for the Spaceside box from Dodge, it seems possible that the Sweptside tooling could have been purchased as well. However, by that time the T-cab had replaced the C-cab as the primary light Stude pickup, and I doubt that Dodge would have offered the Sweptside tooling to Stude at the same time it was producing that truck itself. All nutty speculation on my part, and doesn't even touch on how that box would have looked mated to a C-cab or T-cab.

On the other hand, having seen a couple of "Stude Caminos" made out of Lark wagons I'd venture a guess and say that a pickup made out of a 56-58 wagon might actually be better looking than the Lark-based versions. It might also be an option for saving such a wagon for someone with the bodywork skills to do it.

Any Photoshop experts out there willing to give it a try digitally?

Ed

Comment

What, you mean you guys have never seen one of these?

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                            Dartmouth, Mass.
                            '48 M5
                            '65 Wagonaire Commander
                            '63 Wagonaire Standard
                            web site at http://www.studegarage.com
                            Gary Ash
                            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                            '48 M5
                            '65 Wagonaire Commander
                            '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

What, you mean you guys have never seen one of these?

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                              Dartmouth, Mass.
                              '48 M5
                              '65 Wagonaire Commander
                              '63 Wagonaire Standard
                              Gary Ash
                              Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                              ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                              '48 M5
                              '65 Wagonaire Commander
                              '63 Wagonaire Standard