Surging ohv6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surging ohv6

I've been having some intermittent problems with Betty and the frequency is becoming more often. While running about 50mph, i let off the pedal coasting and hit it again, the engine backfires, it does it particularly if I'm on a curve. A few weeks ago, the car threw a fit. I was driving along it started sputtering and backfiring. When I came to a stop the engine died. it was start and stay running if i kept my food on the pedal. If i let of, it would die. After letting the car cool down, I retarded the timing a bit and it ran fine up until today. Today it started to do what I mentioned above, I retarded the timing a little bit and the engine smoothed out, but now on acclerating, it surges. It has a new coil, dist cap, rotor, points, condensor, plugs. I'm not sure what else to try. Suggestions?

DARE TO BE DIFFERENT...DRIVE YOUR STUDEY EVERY DAY!

Sounds like the carb to me. A surge like you describe is often caused by a too-lean mixture. Warning! Running too lean for too long can lead to cracked cylinder heads. OHV sixes don't like too much heat, and running lean like that can really up your combustion temperature.

Has Betty got the wretched RBS carb, or the much better AS carb? In either case, make sure the float level is correct ( a tad, maybe 1/16", lower than book due to today's lighter fuel), and that the main jet and fuel inlet fitting are free of crud.

It's quite common for recently-resurrected cars to have fuel system issues, as the vibration of driving loosens crud that was formerly stuck solid.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Thanks, yes it is the wretched RBS carb. I have an AS on the way When I started it this morning, tons and tons of smoke came out the back, no weird noises, but after futzing with the choke and mixture, finally got it to run a bit better

DARE TO BE DIFFERENT...DRIVE YOUR STUDEY EVERY DAY!

Comment

Working...
      X