Of 1ton Champs and $350 fuel pumps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of 1ton Champs and $350 fuel pumps!

I apologize if this story's been brought up here already. Frankly, I can't (and don't try) to keep up with all the threads started here anymore![|)]

This is a recent story that was a "My Ride" feature in the SF Chronicle. Possibly, the following evidence is telling as to why there weren't any 1ton Champs built (save for this prototype that must've escape Engineering in 1960)[:0]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

The guy who wrote this needs to get up close and personal with somebody that knows Studebaker trucks (and old trucks in general). My Champ is not the most comfortable ride in the stable, but it is no worse or no better than other 40+ year old trucks. As for it being "ugly" and "ungainly," I guess the author wouldn't like the '59 or '60 Larks either. Opinion is one thing, and the appreciation for the looks of a vehicle is opinion, but facts are something a journalist should be sure of before printing such hooey as this.

Of course this is just my opinion, you know.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser

Comment

The guy who wrote this needs to get up close and personal with somebody that knows Studebaker trucks (and old trucks in general). My Champ is not the most comfortable ride in the stable, but it is no worse or no better than other 40+ year old trucks. As for it being "ugly" and "ungainly," I guess the author wouldn't like the '59 or '60 Larks either. Opinion is one thing, and the appreciation for the looks of a vehicle is opinion, but facts are something a journalist should be sure of before printing such hooey as this.

Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JRoberts

Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Well Joe, I must say I agree with you and probably would put it more succinctly by stating that everyone is entitled to their opinion and my opinion is that the editorial piece written is a "pile of crap" [xx(] obviously written by someone with no personal experience with a Champ truck.

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar
        3E-6/7-122
        </h5>
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JRoberts

Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Well Joe, I must say I agree with you and probably would put it more succinctly by stating that everyone is entitled to their opinion and my opinion is that the editorial piece written is a "pile of crap" [xx(] obviously written by someone with no personal experience with a Champ truck.

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar
          3E-6/7-122
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

[)]Oh My Goodness! Mercy Sakes Agracious![)]

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
            http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

[)]Oh My Goodness! Mercy Sakes Agracious![)]

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
              http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

The writer's misinformed - that's certain. But he musta got all his "facts" from the owner. And the fact that dolt paid $350 to get a fuel pump overhauled is evidence of just what sorta "facts" that the writer recieved.[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The writer's misinformed - that's certain. But he musta got all his "facts" from the owner. And the fact that dolt paid $350 to get a fuel pump overhauled is evidence of just what sorta "facts" that the writer recieved.[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Talk about a biased and uninformative article. I especially like his commentary about the unsuccessful resurrections of the Avanti. Seems to me they were produced pretty continuously for the last 40 years.[xx(]

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Talk about a biased and uninformative article. I especially like his commentary about the unsuccessful resurrections of the Avanti. Seems to me they were produced pretty continuously for the last 40 years.[xx(]

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

It's a veritable Cornucopia of Bullsheetia![V]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

Comment

It's a veritable Cornucopia of Bullsheetia![V]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Everyone has their opinion, and here is my editorial reply [)]....
                            Dunno where he's getting his information from, I never had a cracking situation with the block(lucky, alot of care, whatever). But between one V8, and another being a flathead six, plus the few other sixes and 8's here, we never seen nothing like that(This is just us now). The six with my little experiment, I would never have bothered with the turbo if that was gonna be the case. What I also see here seems to also be the case with the folks moving out this direction and getting a truck. If it don't handle and ride like a Rolls, and its primary use is stockpiling groceries and not the bags of fertilizer and gravel it was designed for, its not worth the steel it came from .
                            I could do something like the fuel pump for wayyy less, even without having to have it sent out. Geez two of those pumps could be about the cost of a blower rebuild, something's out of sorts here [B)]
                            In short, oh cmon its a farm truck. It supposed to ride like a log wagon, be able to work when it needs to, etc. Thats why the man upstairs(or was that five) slapped a bed and heavy duty rear leafs on the back of it.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                            [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                            [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                            [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                            [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Everyone has their opinion, and here is my editorial reply [)]....
                              Dunno where he's getting his information from, I never had a cracking situation with the block(lucky, alot of care, whatever). But between one V8, and another being a flathead six, plus the few other sixes and 8's here, we never seen nothing like that(This is just us now). The six with my little experiment, I would never have bothered with the turbo if that was gonna be the case. What I also see here seems to also be the case with the folks moving out this direction and getting a truck. If it don't handle and ride like a Rolls, and its primary use is stockpiling groceries and not the bags of fertilizer and gravel it was designed for, its not worth the steel it came from .
                              I could do something like the fuel pump for wayyy less, even without having to have it sent out. Geez two of those pumps could be about the cost of a blower rebuild, something's out of sorts here [B)]
                              In short, oh cmon its a farm truck. It supposed to ride like a log wagon, be able to work when it needs to, etc. Thats why the man upstairs(or was that five) slapped a bed and heavy duty rear leafs on the back of it.

1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                              [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                              [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X