PDA

View Full Version : Late pan &dipstick on early FOM. Yes/No?

Rosstude
10-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Will a later pan, with the engine compartment dip stick work on an early FOM with dip stick on top/ under the floor pan? The gasket matches, the depth measures the same from the outside anyway, and a mock up indicates the dip stick tube clears. I hope to remove the existing dipstick and put a freeze plug in its place. I am looking for a confirmation prior to diving in. Has anyone out there done this?
Saturday marks the date of the first gear start with a $5 spring experiment, it may be folly[:o)] but I am going to give it a go. I must go in anyway in to fix the massive leak from the shift lever seal.
I appreciate all your help, past and present.

Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar
1963 Lark. F.S.

N8N
10-12-2006, 04:13 PM
The dipstick tube won't clear the exhaust pipe, at least on a C-K body. I am guessing that this is for your Provincial; not sure if that's an issue there or not.

nate

(learnin' stuff the hard way every day)

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

StudeDave57
10-12-2006, 05:07 PM
When Dad and Mike installed the h/d auto. trans in my Parkview, that's exactly what they did!!! I don't beleive there were any problems. Sorry, I can't say for sure, as I wasn't there for the actual installation. I have seen it after the fact~ and it's in there~ They got it to work somehow!!!

StudeDave [8D]
V/P San Diego County SDC
San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
'57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
'57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
'57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
'58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
'65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Rosstude
10-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks all.
Yes, it is the Provincial. It has locally installed dual exhaust. I will have to double check prior to bolting it down tight.

Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar
1963 Lark. F.S.

StudeRich
10-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Ross; I think because the '57 Sedans/Wagons are basically Lark type bodies, I used the Lark filler tube not Hawk, they are different and it went right in Dave's Parkview with a late model '61-'66 oil pan. We used a '57 GH Tranny with the cooling lines & added a oil cooler radiator as well. After all, it IS a Stationwagon!
Rich.

quote:Originally posted by Rosstude

Thanks all.
Yes, it is the Provincial. It has locally installed dual exhaust. I will have to double check prior to bolting it down tight.
Ross.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

StudeDave57
10-12-2006, 06:55 PM
See, I knew Dad would have the answer~ he almost always does!!! [:0] ;) :D :) [^]

StudeDave [8D]
V/P San Diego County SDC
San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
'57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
'57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
'57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
'58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
'65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'