56 Flight Hawk???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 Flight Hawk???

We went to see the "Sky Hawk" today and it's got a flat 6 engine and a manual transmission and I'm guessing it's a Flight Hawk but I need ya'all to confirm. The tag on the upper part of the firewall is stamped with a top line of "56G C3" and below that is the number 58. And I wrote down the serial number but left my note elsewhere so I'll post that later.

From the engine pics you'll see that it hasn't been running for MANY years and the current owner doesn't have the full story. But the body and undercarriage are in remarkably good condition ~ teensy little bits of rust and no thin spots that I could find in wheelwells or underneath as far as I could scootch.

The only trim missing seems to be the trunk badge and the side mirror. None of the trim has been "restored" and some has small little surface pits and others have a few small cracks. There is some bondo in a few places on the passenger side, but not much at all.

It needs new carpet, and the door panels might be original (in awesome shape) but the rest of the interior was already restored.

I'm TOTALLY buying this car unless someone can tell me why it's a bad idea...

PLEASE let me know if anyone has an idea of a fair price for this car since I have no way of knowing how much it'll take to get it running.

Thanks to all!

Fayetteville, AR

The Fight Hawk, a.k.a. Tin Buzzard in my South Bend days is the bottom of the Hawk food chain. I never got the concept of a six cylinder Hawk but that's a very nice one. I won't comment on the value since I have no data, nor experience on that model. OK, I will, 7K or so.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Lark 2 door
    57 wagon
    39 Coupe express
    JDP Maryland

Comment

The Fight Hawk, a.k.a. Tin Buzzard in my South Bend days is the bottom of the Hawk food chain. I never got the concept of a six cylinder Hawk but that's a very nice one. I won't comment on the value since I have no data, nor experience on that model. OK, I will, 7K or so.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Lark 2 door
      57 wagon
      39 Coupe express
      JDP Maryland

Comment

If John says it's worth $7K, and it is your budget, go for it. But wait for the owner to set a price. It's his to sell, not yours to buy.

Remarkably good looking car. (I'm a sucker for the '56 Hawks.)

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe
        '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction) 122 hrs.
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

If John says it's worth $7K, and it is your budget, go for it. But wait for the owner to set a price. It's his to sell, not yours to buy.

Remarkably good looking car. (I'm a sucker for the '56 Hawks.)

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe
          '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction) 122 hrs.
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

our 58 Silver Hawk had a 6banger in it when we bought it, I thought it to be a strange combo for a hawk too.....that looks like a nice one in the pics and yes you should buy it, get it cheap enough you can sell it to me for a profit, LOL! Just kidding on the selling it to me...Im still trying to unload one of my Pontiacs to get my own Studebaker(My fiancee has 3 dang it!)

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

Comment

our 58 Silver Hawk had a 6banger in it when we bought it, I thought it to be a strange combo for a hawk too.....that looks like a nice one in the pics and yes you should buy it, get it cheap enough you can sell it to me for a profit, LOL! Just kidding on the selling it to me...Im still trying to unload one of my Pontiacs to get my own Studebaker(My fiancee has 3 dang it!)

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

Comment

Certainly looks like a nice "starter" Hawk if that's what you want. 'Have to go with JP's pricing as he is the market maker on Hawks, but it's a real crap shoot as to what it will cost to get it running. The trailer hitch is a red flag; the drivetrain may be well-worn, much more than usual, if it has towed much.

Depending on how negotiations are going, it would be a good idea to try to get it running before laying down any money. Sure, a running car will be "worth" more in the seller's eyes and will compromise your bargaining position...but if it's parked because it threw a rod after getting tired of towing and the clutch is burned up as well, not getting it running before buying it could prove even more expensive than paying a little more after you've heard it run while it is still at the seller's risk.

'Worth pursuing, though, "for sure." [8D] BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Certainly looks like a nice "starter" Hawk if that's what you want. 'Have to go with JP's pricing as he is the market maker on Hawks, but it's a real crap shoot as to what it will cost to get it running. The trailer hitch is a red flag; the drivetrain may be well-worn, much more than usual, if it has towed much.

Depending on how negotiations are going, it would be a good idea to try to get it running before laying down any money. Sure, a running car will be "worth" more in the seller's eyes and will compromise your bargaining position...but if it's parked because it threw a rod after getting tired of towing and the clutch is burned up as well, not getting it running before buying it could prove even more expensive than paying a little more after you've heard it run while it is still at the seller's risk.

'Worth pursuing, though, "for sure." [8D] BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Guys, don't put too much stock in my estimate, I might be too high or low depending on how you feel about 6 cylinder Hawks. It's the only Studebaker C-K I've never owned or sold.

JDP/Maryland
                    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                    spent to date $54664,75
                    64 R2 GT (Sid)
                    spent to date $62,839.60
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    57 wagon
                    39 Coupe express
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Guys, don't put too much stock in my estimate, I might be too high or low depending on how you feel about 6 cylinder Hawks. It's the only Studebaker C-K I've never owned or sold.

JDP/Maryland
                      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                      spent to date $54664,75
                      64 R2 GT (Sid)
                      spent to date $62,839.60
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      57 wagon
                      39 Coupe express
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

JP, My 2 cents worth is that you are right on the money. Anyway, it would be sooo easy to swap in a 259 Automatic in that gorgeous car. Maybe even an R1 with a 4 speed. Either way, its a great looking car.
                        sals54

Comment

JP, My 2 cents worth is that you are right on the money. Anyway, it would be sooo easy to swap in a 259 Automatic in that gorgeous car. Maybe even an R1 with a 4 speed. Either way, its a great looking car.
                          sals54

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. The serial number on the door pillar is G1357701. I forgot to mention that the engine tag was unreadable.

If I don't mind having the girly 6 cylinder engine (my husband has already called it a "Chicken Hawk" which then evolved into "Super-Chicken" and he's pretty darned proud of himself), am I going to have a heck of a time finding parts since the popular engines are the V8's?

My hope is to actually drive it regularly ~ will I need to only take downhill routes to keep up with highway traffic?

Thanks again,
                            Rose

Fayetteville, AR

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. The serial number on the door pillar is G1357701. I forgot to mention that the engine tag was unreadable.

If I don't mind having the girly 6 cylinder engine (my husband has already called it a "Chicken Hawk" which then evolved into "Super-Chicken" and he's pretty darned proud of himself), am I going to have a heck of a time finding parts since the popular engines are the V8's?

My hope is to actually drive it regularly ~ will I need to only take downhill routes to keep up with highway traffic?

Thanks again,
                              Rose

Fayetteville, AR

Comment

Working...
                              X