MPG - unbelievable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG - unbelievable

How much mpg increase is normal as a car gets back into service? I've been topping the car off every day and the last few days I've been pleasantly surprised. Its 49 miles round trip to work. I filled the car last night and drove home, ran a few errands and drove back this morning and topped the car off to see where its at. The car used 1.85 gallons of gas to do that running. I thought maybe air in the tank, but filled it till gas was up the neck on it. Thats 27.2 mpg and considering I'm driving a 6 without the overdrive engaged, and its been extremely windy. If I didnt know exactly what hte mileage to and from work is, I'd think there was something wrong with the odometer. Has anyone done this with an ohv6?

49 miles is too short a drive to accurately compute mileage. If you are off by a pint or two on fill up, it'll throw everything way off.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Lark 2 door
    57 wagon
    39 Coupe express
    JDP Maryland

Comment

49 miles is too short a drive to accurately compute mileage. If you are off by a pint or two on fill up, it'll throw everything way off.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Lark 2 door
      57 wagon
      39 Coupe express
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Well if Champion 170 flathead sixes got 29 MPG in the Mobilgas Economy runs every year, I am sure the more efficient OHV 6 could do close to that, with level ground, no wind, and Overdrive![^]

Car number 6, a '64 Commander 2Dr. OHV 6 turned 101 MPH average, flying mile runs at Bonneville also you know!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well if Champion 170 flathead sixes got 29 MPG in the Mobilgas Economy runs every year, I am sure the more efficient OHV 6 could do close to that, with level ground, no wind, and Overdrive![^]

Car number 6, a '64 Commander 2Dr. OHV 6 turned 101 MPH average, flying mile runs at Bonneville also you know!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That reminds me of a story. My wifes granddad bought a 59 Rambler. He was checking the gas milage real close. At night his son-in-law was pouring 2 gallons of gas in. This went on for about 2 weeks and then he stopped. Old granddad took the car back to the dealer to see what was wrong.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
            As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

That reminds me of a story. My wifes granddad bought a 59 Rambler. He was checking the gas milage real close. At night his son-in-law was pouring 2 gallons of gas in. This went on for about 2 weeks and then he stopped. Old granddad took the car back to the dealer to see what was wrong.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
              As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

Considering I fill the car till gas dribbles over the edge of the filler every time (not environmentally friendly). Where can you get an extra pint? I know its filled fully and I've been running around 22-23mpg normally. Oh yeah.. I live alone and the car is locked in a garage and in my line of sight all day.. i can assure you no one ads fuel.

Comment

Considering I fill the car till gas dribbles over the edge of the filler every time (not environmentally friendly). Where can you get an extra pint? I know its filled fully and I've been running around 22-23mpg normally. Oh yeah.. I live alone and the car is locked in a garage and in my line of sight all day.. i can assure you no one ads fuel.

Comment

Years ago I was getting consistantly similar mileage with a Wagonaire...........until I gassed up at a different station! I think it might have been a slight difference in the level of the station's pad.

Dwain G.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Years ago I was getting consistantly similar mileage with a Wagonaire...........until I gassed up at a different station! I think it might have been a slight difference in the level of the station's pad.

Dwain G.
                      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Are you filling up at THE SAME pump each time? Have you got the appropriate speedo gear to match the rear ratio?[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Are you filling up at THE SAME pump each time? Have you got the appropriate speedo gear to match the rear ratio?[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'd say it's possible...but unlikely. Throw a GPS in with you on your next trip. My guess is the odometer is a little optimistic. And, like JP says, run the whole tank out (maybe a couple of tanks) to get a more accurate result.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'd say it's possible...but unlikely. Throw a GPS in with you on your next trip. My guess is the odometer is a little optimistic. And, like JP says, run the whole tank out (maybe a couple of tanks) to get a more accurate result.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X