Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why my Studes hibernate

This is my mail delivery van:

That pretty brown stuff is sodium chloride, calcium chloride, and sand. The newer cars are amazing- this one is a 99 with 245K and only has a few holes in it so far. Has had most of the brake, gas, and cooling tubes replaced, and the exhaust, P/S pump, and oil pan, all due to rust-out. That's what it's like here; not to mention the stress cold weather starts put on any moving part...[xx(]

If I bought a Stude with never-rusted panels and drove it daily here in our winters, the backs of the fenders and floors would be starting to pop through after one winter, and by the end of the second would be completely full of holes! Growing up in the 70s, new cars would have holes in them in 2-3 years! People used to wash them every day, spend lots of money on undercoating; some people had those old pump-style fire extinguishers with fuel oil or kerosene or the like and constantly sprayed the underside and wheel openings with that crap; all these things did help, but very little. When I was growing up almost everybody bought "winter rats"- some old car already full of holes, to save on their prime vehicles. My 48 M-16 is totally unknown around here as even old work trucks like that would rust literally in half, or the cab would get bad enough that the weight of it would eventually break the steering column and linkages. NO WAY I'd do that to any Stude I own[}]

Yes, it's that bad......

So to those who say we who store ours don't truly love driving them, I say just the opposite!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Well stated, Bob! Around here, we call your winter rats, winter beaters. It amazes me how well vehicles of the last 20 years hold up against the salt...but, as you say, they all succumb sooner or later. [My current beater, a burgundy 1992 Ford Taurus, sits in the drive today looking almost as white as the snow across the yard, it has so much salt on it. And it's been right here all its 169,000-mile life before I bought it for $100 three months ago...yet has no rust perforation anywhere! [:0] (The transmission is plenty gimpy, however...[xx(] )]

Studebakers, though? All you had to do was drive around South Bend in the early 60s, as I did, and try to find any Studebaker more than three years old, in daily service, that wasn't already on its way to the SCD; Swiss Cheese Demise. I'm sure JDP can verify that.

Again, an excellent post. How jealous we are of central California SDCers wandering around in short sleeves, looking at essentially worn-out, but "dry," Studebakers at this time of year. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Well stated, Bob! Around here, we call your winter rats, winter beaters. It amazes me how well vehicles of the last 20 years hold up against the salt...but, as you say, they all succumb sooner or later. [My current beater, a burgundy 1992 Ford Taurus, sits in the drive today looking almost as white as the snow across the yard, it has so much salt on it. And it's been right here all its 169,000-mile life before I bought it for $100 three months ago...yet has no rust perforation anywhere! [:0] (The transmission is plenty gimpy, however...[xx(] )]

Studebakers, though? All you had to do was drive around South Bend in the early 60s, as I did, and try to find any Studebaker more than three years old, in daily service, that wasn't already on its way to the SCD; Swiss Cheese Demise. I'm sure JDP can verify that.

Again, an excellent post. How jealous we are of central California SDCers wandering around in short sleeves, looking at essentially worn-out, but "dry," Studebakers at this time of year. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Are you referring to our Bunch?

Mabel 1949 Champion
        1957 Silverhawk
        1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        1955 President State
        Fresno,Ca
        Mabel 1949 Champion
        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        The Prez 1955 President State
        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
        Fresno,Ca

Comment

Are you referring to our Bunch?

Mabel 1949 Champion
          1957 Silverhawk
          1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          1955 President State
          Fresno,Ca
          Mabel 1949 Champion
          Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
          Gus 1958 Transtar
          The Prez 1955 President State
          Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
          Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
          Fresno,Ca

Comment

YES

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe
            '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction) 122 hrs.
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

YES

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
              Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe
              '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction) 122 hrs.
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

We drive Studes all year 'round here. Of course, there's no snow, ice, salt, or anything else.

Matthew Burnette
                '59 Scotsman
                '63 Daytona
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

We drive Studes all year 'round here. Of course, there's no snow, ice, salt, or anything else.

Matthew Burnette
                  '59 Scotsman
                  '63 Daytona
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Biggest thing we have to worry about here in Central Florida is raining, hydroplaining and old cars that leak. That is what the rust on my Mercedes is from. Old convertible and leaks and I gotta admit it is no fun to drive in the winter.

Former owner/owner with Dad:
                    58 Packard Golden Hawk
                    62 Hawk
                    62 Lark
                    63 Lark
                    64 Lark
                    63 Champ
                    Currently I own:
                    84 Mercedes 380SL
                    92 Range Rover (for sale)
                    99 BMW 323I
                    and helping a 16 year old rebuild an 86 Saab 900

Lakeland, FL

Comment

Biggest thing we have to worry about here in Central Florida is raining, hydroplaining and old cars that leak. That is what the rust on my Mercedes is from. Old convertible and leaks and I gotta admit it is no fun to drive in the winter.

Former owner/owner with Dad:
                      58 Packard Golden Hawk
                      62 Hawk
                      62 Lark
                      63 Lark
                      64 Lark
                      63 Champ
                      Currently I own:
                      84 Mercedes 380SL
                      92 Range Rover (for sale)
                      99 BMW 323I
                      and helping a 16 year old rebuild an 86 Saab 900

Lakeland, FL

Comment

What's worse is magnesium chloride.
                        That stuff is the bane to anything that will corrode.
                        And Matthew...
                        You are not immune.
                        They spray/drip that stuff all over the place when they do not have salting equipment, or plows...
                        (read that, SC and GA)
                        And to top it off, the stuff takes a couple of good heavy rains to wash off the road.
                        So you could pull your perdy Stude out on thet sunny spring day and end up coating it some nasty rust inducing crud.
                        Oh, it works good all right... But the side affects stink.
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bams50

<snip>
                        That pretty brown stuff is sodium chloride, calcium chloride, and sand.
                        <snip>
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

What's worse is magnesium chloride.
                          That stuff is the bane to anything that will corrode.
                          And Matthew...
                          You are not immune.
                          They spray/drip that stuff all over the place when they do not have salting equipment, or plows...
                          (read that, SC and GA)
                          And to top it off, the stuff takes a couple of good heavy rains to wash off the road.
                          So you could pull your perdy Stude out on thet sunny spring day and end up coating it some nasty rust inducing crud.
                          Oh, it works good all right... But the side affects stink.
                          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bams50

<snip>
                          That pretty brown stuff is sodium chloride, calcium chloride, and sand.
                          <snip>
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Its time to get the heck out of Dodge and go where you can enjoy your Studes all year round.

sals54

Comment

Its time to get the heck out of Dodge and go where you can enjoy your Studes all year round.

sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X