Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sultan of Brunei's cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh16dpLTipU

Well, Bill. Very similar to my own collection. 7,000 cars? Really? When does he find time to drive them all.
    I would love to see the old building with all the dusty old cars cleaned up and those old cars fixed up. Now that would be fun to see.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Most of the posters on that video pretty much doubt its authenticity.

This from Wiki

"The Sultan is passionate about cars. The royal family always maintains a collection of over 100 cars and the palace has the underground garage to accommodate them. Apart from this he once owned one of the largest private car collections in the world with about 2500 cars which his brother Jefri Bolkiah bought for himself, the Sultan and other members of the royal family to entertain their car passion. The car collection and Prince Jefri's other indulgences cost billions of US dollars, and ultimately landed him in trouble and the royal family in financial crisis. The car collection was left abandoned; most of the non-garaged cars were beyond saving, the rest were auctioned"
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

looking at the Ferraris I can't understand what the idea is with the Corvettes exept maby cruising slowly on a street late at night...

Comment

Brunei is the 4th most wealthy country in the world. Brunei has free education and an excellent free medical program. I think that no citizen paid taxes, but I'm not certain of that. The country's literacy rate is very high (mid 90s for both men and women). It is an extremely clean country with well maintained roads and more. I don't remember much about the 7,000 cars, but he did have quite a few American vehicles including Corvettes and top of the line GM SUVs. His parade car is an extended Mercedes parade car that is covered with 24-carat gold plate. The current Sultan, since he was the 29th Sultan, built a huge mosque with 29 gold domes and, yes, infidels were welcome to tour the mosques when they weren't holding services.

The Sultan lives in the world's largest residential palace. The palace covers 2,152,782 square feet and contains 1,788 rooms. It also has 257 bathrooms, banqueting hall for 5,000 guests, large mosque, garage for 110 cars, air-conditioned stable for 200 polo ponies and five swimming pools. Supposedly he keeps a Mercedes limo at his front door. It is kept running 24 hours a day with a driver in attendance so he doesn't have to wait if he opts to go somewhere.

We visited a five-star hotel on the beach, a incredible building. At the entry hangs a huge chandelier, cost $1,000,000. The hotel was hurting because of not being able to stock or sell alcoholic beverages (though people were "allowed" to cross in to Malaysia to buy liquor). Cigarettes are not sold in Brunei. Our guide said there were no MacDonalds in Brunei (just as we drove by a Burger King). And, it's a very safe country to visit- very low crime rate.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Very interesting. Thanks for posting it, Paul.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by tim333
              Who cares?
              Because some are interesting one-offs.

Craig

Comment

Such a nice country, I wonder how long it'll take until they get in trouble for being so lucky...

Comment

Working...
                X