PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Needed for purchase

DaSmokeEater
04-19-2019, 02:20 PM
They are asking $4000 for this 1957 President. I am totally new to this as well as the Forum (Hi!) and kinda want to know what I'm getting into if I pull the trigger. Please look at the pictures and tell me if anything stands out to you (I know I'm in for new pipes and mufflers). I'd be using it as a fun summer car, not show car, and to teach my wife and son's how to drive stick also (3 on the tree).

Thanks!

Stan80340803418034280343

StudeRich
04-19-2019, 02:47 PM
In most of our humble opinion here, finding a President Classic "Y" Body Long Wheelbase Sedan in that good looking condition WITH the much desired 3 Speed Manual WITH Overdrive is rare and HUGE PLUS! :!:

This is the Luxury, Top of line Sedan, comparable to the upscale Buick's, Oldsmobile's, Mercury's and Desoto's.

But like any old Car it is sure to need the standard long standing/stored Car freshening up, flush ALL Fluids, especially Brake fluid possibly rebuild the system etc. After that it will be the BEST Driving Car ever, with it's Rear Stabilizer Bar only used on that model and 225 H.P. 4 Barrel, Dual Exhaust, Studebaker 289! :cool:

Guess what, you will be tasked with not only teaching your Family how to drive Manual Trans. Cars, but also learning and teaching probably ALL of you, how to Drive a Manual Overdrive Car, with SIX available Ratios, most of the time using Four! :ohmy:

For an Illinois Car, the undercarriage does not look terrible, the exhaust only looks like surface rust, not totally rotted out.
From the bottom, the floors do not look gone but a top view under the Carpet would be good to have.
The price is in the Ball Park for the common Automatic Cars, but I think an Overdrive should be MORE.

Noxnabaker
04-19-2019, 02:50 PM
I would also go for new brake cylinders, even the main one, overhauled ones last way to short... & I reckon the seals in all axel ends are dried out too; 3 on the rear axel & then the gearbox & engine.
Others here will probably fill in more.
Good luck thou, it's a mighty beautiful car & the biggest problem is that it's not mine!
;)

Commander Eddie
04-19-2019, 02:52 PM
It actually looks pretty good in the photos. Have you had a chance to drive it to see how the engine runs, transmission shifts, clutch feels good, brakes work, suspension system feels, steering, etc.? That should tell you a lot. The upper radiator hose appears fairly new but has the radiator been flushed? Does it overheat? I would say if all these things check out as fair to good the price is fair. If everything is in really good operating condition and there are receipts to support recent maintenance, then the price is very good.
The President was a high end model so may have the 289 engine. It has dual exhaust and probably a 4 bbl. The more information you can provide the better we can help you determine if this is a good buy.

StudeRich
04-19-2019, 03:17 PM
What Website lists this? I was hoping it would have MORE info and Pic's.
We only can see ONE of the actual Car in the photo copies of the Ad.

No Front, Rear, Left, or Interior. :(

Lou Van Anne
04-19-2019, 03:39 PM
I'd buy it.....

52hawk
04-19-2019, 03:46 PM
It looks like the batwing[crossmember on frame runs from fender to fender] ends are rotted away. I'd be afraid of other rust not pictured. where's it at? I'm in Illinois-if close by,I'd go look at it.[No,I don't want it!]

Mike Van Veghten
04-19-2019, 03:50 PM
First, don't be "pulling the trigger" on that car. Though 4dr's are not my favorite body styles, bullet holes will not look good or enhance its value.

As others have noted, while the front suspension may need work, being that the car has a rear anti-sway bar, overall, it will handle about as well as a stock 50's car can. That's a good option to have, along with the four barrel carburetor.
As with any old car, go over and replace ALL rubber that's in need of replacement.

Mike

tim333
04-19-2019, 04:16 PM
Bullet holes??

creegster
04-19-2019, 04:57 PM
Bullet holes??

I think its a joke about "pulling the trigger".

Buzzard
04-19-2019, 05:05 PM
We had a '56 when I grew up and it was a great car. I don't think you can go wrong in that price range.
Luck,
Bill

Kurt
04-19-2019, 05:24 PM
I have been watching this car as it looks to be a decent value. I really don’t have any interest in it. It’s more that it was close to home. If you want someone to look at it with you I would volunteer.

edpjr
04-19-2019, 05:32 PM
Mighty nice looking vehicle - right out of the 1950s horror movie "It Conquered the World." Only problem is that, like my '66, it has two doors too many.

56GH
04-19-2019, 05:52 PM
Had a '57 President Classic from '93 to '97 in Azure blue and Wedgewood blue80351. Great car -- A/T, P/S, rare factory A/C and HD suspension! Even if you had to put some money into it, it still would be worth it!

studegary
04-19-2019, 05:58 PM
It actually looks pretty good in the photos. Have you had a chance to drive it to see how the engine runs, transmission shifts, clutch feels good, brakes work, suspension system feels, steering, etc.? That should tell you a lot. The upper radiator hose appears fairly new but has the radiator been flushed? Does it overheat? I would say if all these things check out as fair to good the price is fair. If everything is in really good operating condition and there are receipts to support recent maintenance, then the price is very good.
The President was a high end model so may have the 289 engine. It has dual exhaust and probably a 4 bbl. The more information you can provide the better we can help you determine if this is a good buy.

It is a 1957 President Classic, all of which had a 28 cid V8 and four bbl.

studegary
04-19-2019, 06:00 PM
Welcome to the SDC Forum. My first Studebaker was a 1957 President Classic that had been used for one year. I liked that car a lot and drove it hard and a lot. It has been followed by more than 50 other Studebakers.

Dick Steinkamp
04-19-2019, 06:23 PM
There are going to be some things it needs, but if it is as good as it looks it is well worth the $4k. Rust is the biggest potential issue. It is expensive to fix and you never get it all. Other than that, most any part is available new or used and relatively inexpensive.

jclary
04-19-2019, 07:44 PM
There are going to be some things it needs, but if it is as good as it looks it is well worth the $4k. Rust is the biggest potential issue. It is expensive to fix and you never get it all. Other than that, most any part is available new or used and relatively inexpensive.

First of all, Welcome to our forum!:!:

I agree for the most part with Dick's observation. With an added view that depending on your level of skill and capacity to learn what it takes to repair, restore, and maintain a vintage car greatly affects the expense and enjoyment of ownership. For me, I enjoy the mechanical challenges, bodywork, paint, minor upholstery, etc. However, I have very little experience in tackling extensive suspension work like refurbing the A-frame bushings, fitting new kingpin bushings, reaming them and getting the clearances spot on. Many of these cars look great but wander all over the road due to suspension wear.

Another huge gap in my skill set is dealing with automatic transmissions. I believe I have the capability, but my inexperience (lack of confidence?) has made it convenient to avoid vehicles requiring extensive automatic transmission or suspension repairs. Since the car that is the subject of this conversation is a three-speed overdrive, that would be a non-issue for me. Like others have said, if the car is as good as it looks in the pics...it has an "enjoyment potential" worthy of the price. If you have an adequate set of tools, buy the car, get the manuals, insure it, and make it yours.:)

Another thing about this hobby...make sure you can enjoy it alone. Not everyone you meet will appreciate it in the same way you do. Not only friends, but family members might drift away soon after the initial novelty wears off. Sometimes, the most enjoyable experience in one of these old cars is a ride through the country alone with no one complaining about the lack of air conditioning, stereo, seat belts, cup holders, USB connections, smell, wind noise, power windows, adjustable lumbar power seats...etc, etc,

Dick Steinkamp
04-19-2019, 08:41 PM
John has a good point. If you won't be maintaining it and repairing it yourself, it can be an expensive and frustrating hobby. It's not like a 3 year old Toyota. It's tough to find someone with the skills and the desire to work on it. It will need lots of maintenance and repair...they all do. Like John, I like the wrenching part and solving the problems. If you do too, it's a great hobby. :D

StudeDave57
04-19-2019, 11:56 PM
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/322582478452021/?hc_location=ufi

DaSmokeEater
04-20-2019, 07:42 AM
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/322582478452021/?hc_location=ufi

Yes! This is the classified ad for the car. I apologize I didn't post all the photos, my concern is mostly the mechanical aspects of the car. Please look this over everyone, in case there's something else I missed!

Hopefully I'll take her out for a test drive today!

DaSmokeEater
04-20-2019, 07:44 AM
FSometimes, the most enjoyable experience in one of these old cars is a ride through the country alone with no one complaining about the lack of air conditioning, stereo, seat belts, cup holders, USB connections, smell, wind noise, power windows, adjustable lumbar power seats...etc, etc,

As long as the '57 came with Bluetooth as a standard option, my kids will be fine! ;)

DaSmokeEater
04-20-2019, 07:46 AM
I have tinkered with cars over the years, but this would be a first for me. For the Illini members, are there local (i.e. within a hundred or so miles of Chicago) places that can help with mechanical repairs if necessary?

John has a good point. If you won't be maintaining it and repairing it yourself, it can be an expensive and frustrating hobby. It's not like a 3 year old Toyota. It's tough to find someone with the skills and the desire to work on it. It will need lots of maintenance and repair...they all do. Like John, I like the wrenching part and solving the problems. If you do too, it's a great hobby. :D

rockne10
04-20-2019, 08:17 AM
For the Illini members, are there local (i.e. within a hundred or so miles of Chicago) places that can help with mechanical repairs if necessary?Any older car is obviously going to require some love and attention, not to mention dedication, as all have indicated. From the photos, as Robert mentioned, the batwings may need some work. I also note a jug suspended under the front, no doubt to catch either oil exiting the front seal or coolant exiting the water pump.

These post-war sedans were some of Studebaker's best built and most comfortable rides. And the one comment I will add is that, from the pictures, it appears to have not yet been molested; and that in itself would make it doubly desirable if it was a vehicle I was considering for wrenching.

Joining the SDC and your local chapter, of which several cover the Illinois area and are very active, will put you in touch with others in your area who have already sifted through service providers and can point you in the direction of those they trust. Find your local chapter contacts here: http://studebakerdriversclub.com/chapters.asp

(http://studebakerdriversclub.com/chapters.asp)

56H-Y6
04-20-2019, 08:27 AM
There is only one way to know what the car is mechanically, go drive and inspect it yourself. Photos can't convey that and can't show you all the close-up details that you will have to live with and deal with if it becomes yours. In the photos, it looks worth the price but so do many cars until all the warts and problems are seen in person.

Steve

BobPalma
04-20-2019, 08:31 AM
It looks like the batwing [crossmember on frame runs from fender to fender] ends are rotted away. I'd be afraid of other rust not pictured. Where's it at? I'm in Illinois-if close by, I'd go look at it. [No, I don't want it!]

:!: An excellent point, Robert. I'm surprised no one else has zeroed in on that. Batwings don't rust away that much unless the car has been subject to some serious, ongoing corrosive elements. It warrants a close, independent inspection for structural rust.

Forget the radiator hoses and king pins for the moment and make sure the car is worthy structurally. ;) :cool: BP

jackb
04-20-2019, 09:50 AM
The 1st thing I noticed was the bubble behind the passenger intake vent. Don't know what it is, but maybe the rear of that side rocker tells more. Repaint ?

The nice thing about this prospective new owner, and other newbies, is the fact that this car will drive like a Mack truck compared to "anything" they're driving today. What does that mean ? They won't have to do anything to the car in an to attempt to make it ride "nice".... They can beef up the brakes, install new bushings, put on new radials, etc....and it will still ride like a Mack truck ! A distinct advantage to the un=informed. As far as value, I suggest the prospective, new owner see the car with a knowledgeable Stude fanatic...as has been offered.

Mike Sal
04-20-2019, 09:58 AM
If this were an automatic I would have already gone & looked at it (Sonya won't drive a stick).
Mike Sal

DaSmokeEater
04-20-2019, 05:40 PM
Gone when I drove by today...80392

acolds
04-20-2019, 07:37 PM
after looking at all photos of car I think it was worth $4000

avantilover
04-21-2019, 04:47 PM
So, did you buy it? If not,I'm sure a nice vehicle will eventually come your way.