63 Lark 2 door Coupe to HT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Lark 2 door Coupe to HT?

OK, here's a real goofy question for ya'll. I really like the roofline on the 63 2 door post cars. I like them much better than the lines on the Hardtops. How difficult would it be to use a 2 door coupe body and convert it to a Hardtop? I figure the doors would be easy enough by using the moulding of the hardtop to trim out the top of the door frame. On the rear, though, could you use the mechanism from the hardtop rear window and have a rear window cut to fit the opening? How naive am I being?
    Am I the only one to ever contemplate something so crazy??
    sals54

You'll need a HT pars car to do it. You'll need to cut the lip off the top of the hard top doors and weld it to the sedan to mount the moldings. Then move the rocker boxes from the floor over. Then modify the rear sail panel to accept the HT rear windows, then....just forget it.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Lark 2 door
    57 wagon
    39 Coupe express
    JDP Maryland

Comment

You'll need a HT pars car to do it. You'll need to cut the lip off the top of the hard top doors and weld it to the sedan to mount the moldings. Then move the rocker boxes from the floor over. Then modify the rear sail panel to accept the HT rear windows, then....just forget it.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Lark 2 door
      57 wagon
      39 Coupe express
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks Nels
        So, if the rear windows are the same, how about the rear glass? Are they different?
        sals54

Comment

Thanks Nels
          So, if the rear windows are the same, how about the rear glass? Are they different?
          sals54

Comment

JP, You're missing the main point. I like the "C" pillar on the coupe body. I just want to use the HT doors and have a rear window cut to match the existing opening already on the coupe body.
            sals54

Comment

JP, You're missing the main point. I like the "C" pillar on the coupe body. I just want to use the HT doors and have a rear window cut to match the existing opening already on the coupe body.
              sals54

Comment

Darn. Now I have to go out and compare the roof line of my my Daytona to the '63 Standard out back... Thanks Sal!

Matthew Burnette
                '59 Scotsman
                '63 Daytona
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Darn. Now I have to go out and compare the roof line of my my Daytona to the '63 Standard out back... Thanks Sal!

Matthew Burnette
                  '59 Scotsman
                  '63 Daytona
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

It's just my artistic eye that doesn't like the rear treatment on the HT Larks. The "C" pillar stands too vertical. The lines on the coupe are much more pleasing, but I like HTs better. I think it would look really cool to have a HT with the lines of the coupe. Does that make it about as clear as mud?
                    sals54

Comment

It's just my artistic eye that doesn't like the rear treatment on the HT Larks. The "C" pillar stands too vertical. The lines on the coupe are much more pleasing, but I like HTs better. I think it would look really cool to have a HT with the lines of the coupe. Does that make it about as clear as mud?
                      sals54

Comment

Easy enough if you don't need the rear glass to go up and down, but if you do, that's where you'll have some real engineering work. Compare the sedans window geometry to the HT.

JDP/Maryland
                        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                        spent to date $54664,75
                        64 R2 GT (Sid)
                        spent to date $62,839.60
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        57 wagon
                        39 Coupe express
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

Easy enough if you don't need the rear glass to go up and down, but if you do, that's where you'll have some real engineering work. Compare the sedans window geometry to the HT.

JDP/Maryland
                          63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                          spent to date $54664,75
                          64 R2 GT (Sid)
                          spent to date $62,839.60
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          57 wagon
                          39 Coupe express
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

Sal, are you basically wanting a 2 door sedan with hardtop doors? That could be done, easy enough... But removing the 'B' post, that'd be one to figure out..

Matthew Burnette
                            '59 Scotsman
                            '63 Daytona
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Sal, are you basically wanting a 2 door sedan with hardtop doors? That could be done, easy enough... But removing the 'B' post, that'd be one to figure out..

Matthew Burnette
                              '59 Scotsman
                              '63 Daytona
                              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X