Generator Bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator Bearing

What size is the Ball Bearing in the 6v generator? Thanks.... The number is not there any longer...

1955 President one owner
    Moncks Corner, SC

We can only give you a Stude part number (which would, BTW, afford youi the chance to buy one from a Stude parts vendor) OR actual dimensions. It also helps to know the model and make of the generator in question. After 58 years, some things get changed around.
    BEST way - shy of someone here KNOWING the bearing number off the top of their head or from some ancient after-market parts book - it to take the generator armature (or just the bearing) to a local US Bearing or King Bearing outlet and let the friendly guys there with calipers and experience rustle up a new bearing for you in minutes! I'm SURE they can help you. A NAPA store could probably help too if you took them the bearing to measure.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Here: I went to SASCO's site and looked up the bearing for a Delco Gen of '55 vintage. # 526868 They have it for $21.60

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

203S is the number most parts houses will recognize. It's the same on most all delco gens. 12-V included.

Tex in Alabama
        53 Commander starlight

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I was gonna say 202, but it's been so long that I've rebuilt a unit that I just wasn't sure.[V]

Jeff, what suffix denotes a seal on one side of the bearing? Is it the S in 203S. Tex, you know?

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Yes the seal is the "S" for shielded. The bearing size is the number.It could have a rubber seal and could have a different suffix. A "SS" would only indicate double seals, in which case you could just pop one out.

Tex in ALA
            53 starlight C

Tex E. Grier

Comment

Not near a book right now....
              But IIRC a 203S might cross to a 6203 and if you wanted two rubber (nitrile) shields, you would add a -2RSJ as a suffix.
              So the part number (SKF) would be a 6203-2RSJ
              It sells for $10.99 from NAPA and is a popular front alternator and generator bearing.
              Hope the info helps.
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I was gonna say 202, but it's been so long that I've rebuilt a unit that I just wasn't sure.[V]
              Jeff, what suffix denotes a seal on one side of the bearing? Is it the S in 203S. Tex, you know?
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks guys.... next question.. breather... new thread.. thanks again...

1955 President one owner
                Moncks Corner, SC

Comment

Working...
                X