1954 Commander At Pebble Beach - Wayne Carini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1954 Commander At Pebble Beach - Wayne Carini

I just watched Wayne Carini with his 1954 Commander Starliner at Pebble Beach. The car looked beautiful and took second place in the post war preservation class. There is a thread on here about this car. It's a stunner.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

I was fortunate to see the car in Connecticut a couple of years ago. It is MAGNIFICENT!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Four year old episode?
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I'm not sure which episode or the age of it, but Wayne and the Commander are supposed to again be aired on the Motor Trend channel Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 8 PM eastern DST. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          I'm not sure which episode or the age of it, but Wayne and the Commander are supposed to again be aired on the Motor Trend channel Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 8 PM eastern DST. BP
          Velocity is now Motor Trend, which could be good or bad, depending on how one looks at it.

I received a subscription to M/T x-mas 1949, continued to receive it thru sometime in 1973, but...

At some point in 1973, a reader wrote a letter to the editor asking for Studebaker info.

When the smart-azz answer was: "Why don't you try something constructive like collecting string?" I cancelled my subscription.

btw: Attended the L/A Chapter car show in Northridge today, there were two cars there that one rarely sees:

Studebaker race car that participated in the 1932 Indianapolis 500, 1935 Pierce-Arrow purchased new by actress Ann Sheridan.
          Last edited by WinM1895; 03-24-2019, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
            I just watched Wayne Carini with his 1954 Commander Starliner at Pebble Beach. The car looked beautiful and took second place in the post war preservation class. There is a thread on here about this car. It's a stunner.
            I remember seeing pictures of this car. When it was for sale, by the original owners family, in 2014. It was incredible! Now, I can't see them anywhere. Does anyone here have any, that they can post?

Thanks!

Mark
            sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
              I remember seeing pictures of this car. When it was for sale, by the original owners family, in 2014. It was incredible! Now, I can't see them anywhere. Does anyone here have any, that they can post?
              See post #4.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                See post #4.
                "Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 8:00 PM eastern DST." Isn't a particularly convenient time for me. I will likely be finishing up at work, and then in the commute traffic. Until about 10 PM eastern DST. If I could just see pictures here, it would be easier, for me?

Thanks,

Mark
                sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

I don't know if I could stand to drive it with all those add on gee gaws made of chrome. Lovely car though!
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Soon after Wayne bought the car I asked him at SEMA if he was going to keep it. He emphatically said he would never sell it.
                    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Has he yet?
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

It's in the April Turning Wheels. Inside front cover and page 32. Listed as belonging to Wayne and Laura Carini.
                        Last edited by 1954khardtop; 03-25-2019, 11:47 AM. Reason: added page number
                        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Wow. Did Wayne join the SDC?
                          Ed Sallia
                          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
                            It's in the April Turning Wheels. Inside front cover and page 32. Listed as belonging to Wayne and Laura Carini.
                            Page 33 shows a good close-up of the incorrect two-toning on the car. I wonder what the production order states. Perhaps it was two-toned by the dealer, or later. This was not uncommon.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've seen this episode at Pebble Beach several times now over the last few years. You would think after the first time the radio wouldn't work, he'd fix it. lol
                              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                              1950 Champion Convertible
                              1950 Champion 4Dr
                              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                              X