Inspection help needed in Wash. D.C. area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspection help needed in Wash. D.C. area

I need help from someone in the Washinton D.C. / Rockville Md. area to look at the underside of a '71 Avanti II that I am interested in purchasing. I know the particulars of the top side and running gear, however the current owner is not familiar with the underside and has not been successful in finding someone to check it out for me. Is there anybody in that neck of the woods that could take a quick look under the car to see the condition of the frame and hog troughs? Any help will be greatly appreciated and willingly paid for. Thanks Bill Van Alstyne.

How hard can it be for the seller to put his Camera under the Door aimed at the Frame and Hog Trough?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Forum member Skip Lackey is in your area, he might be able to help:

sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

Rich, he has crawled under (sort of) and taken pic's. They show the frame and trough which have undercoating on them. You know how that can be good or bad which is why I'd like a hands on look. Thanks Dave, I know Skip is in that locale and I've thought of contacting him but I'd rather have someone volunteer rather than be coerced into it. The seller is not mechanically inclined and relies on others for everything related. Thanks guy's for the reply's.

Comment

This car is owned by Roger Penn. Roger has been associated with Avantis for a very long time and is a personal friend of many. Over the years he has sold multiple Avantis for others. This is his personal car and candidly it one I would buy site unseen. I do not have room for another Avanti or it would be gone. Skip Lackey will verify what I have said if you do not want to take my word as will John Hull or others
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Sorry Don but the car I'm interested in is owned by Steve White, the president of the Potomic(sp?) chapter. I don't know anything about Roger Penn's car though it wouldn't hurt to get his info too. Hopefully someone will be able to take a look at Steve's car for me. Thanks for your input, Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
              This car is owned by Roger Penn. Roger has been associated with Avantis for a very long time and is a personal friend of many. Over the years he has sold multiple Avantis for others. This is his personal car and candidly it one I would buy site unseen. I do not have room for another Avanti or it would be gone. Skip Lackey will verify what I have said if you do not want to take my word as will John Hull or others
              I agree with your experience with Roger. Did you know that he now lives in Fredericksburg? At age 83 he probably isn't interested in traveling north of DC to appraise a car.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
                I need help from someone in the Washinton D.C. / Rockville Md. area to look at the underside of a '71 Avanti II that I am interested in purchasing. I know the particulars of the top side and running gear, however the current owner is not familiar with the underside and has not been successful in finding someone to check it out for me. Is there anybody in that neck of the woods that could take a quick look under the car to see the condition of the frame and hog troughs? Any help will be greatly appreciated and willingly paid for. Thanks Bill Van Alstyne.
                Forum poster Gunslinger lives in Frederick, MD which is fairly close to Steve's place. Gunslinger has a lot of Avanti experience. I believe he still has a sensational, beautifully upgraded 1970 and last time I saw him he still had his 2003 Avanti. You might try a PM to him.
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I'm going to be in Rockville tomorrow the 15th. If it can arranged for early afternoon I can certainly look at the car. My problem is I have to go for a medical appointment closer in to DC and have plans for a couple of stops in Rockville on the way back...and rush hour traffic heading north is a real bear to say the least. If I can be on the road home by 3PM it will work. This is an area where 5-10 minutes difference can mean an added 30 minutes to an hour on the road.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Bruce, if you're offering to take a quick look at Steve's car, it doesn't have to be tomorrow the 15th. Do you know Steve and have his phone #? I have his # but not his address so it will be difficult to arrange tonight. If you do have his contact info and want to call him to arrange a visit,please feel free to do so. I really, really appreciate any help you may be able to give, and I'll gladly pay you for your effort and time. If you can't accomplish a visit tomorrow we can wait till you can get the time to do it, there is no rush. Thanks for your willingness to help, Bill Van Alstyne.

Comment

53k sent me his contact information...I called and left a message. If we can't do it tomorrow we can come up with a time to do so. I'm having some renovations done to the house so any excuse to get away from the noise and dust is welcome.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Thanks a ton!!!!! Whenever you can get it accomplished is fine with me.

Comment

Saw this yesterday but did not respond because I am not home and wasn't sure of my schedule -- and also won't have access to my local chapter member roster until I get home. I know Steve, but don't remember anything about his Avanti. And I don't claim to be any kind of Avanti expert. But if it would be useful, might be able to take a look at the car on Sunday afternoon or late next week.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks Skip, I knew you were in that area but I didn't want to ask anyone to do this for me, rather they volunteered. If Bruce is unable to get a look it would be great if you'd be willing to take a look for me. Lets see what transpires and go from there. Steve has been great in trying to get me info on the car, but his mechanical knowledge he admits is very limited. He got some pic's underneath but doesn't really know what areas are the most suspect. I know that the paint is bad and it doesn't run at present and have gotten pic's of all topside and interior. I just want to have someone check the frame and troughs to make sure they are solid. Let's see what develops and then go from that point, as I said there is no rush whatsoever. Thanks again, Bill.

Comment

Working...
                            X