Rachael's Speedster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rachael's Speedster

My Step Dad, Dick Copeland, was a lover of Studebakers. His passion began before he enlisted in the Navy during World War II. He always wanted the 1955 Speedster President, and continued to look for them when he became financially set in life. He found a 1957 Golden Hawk, but continued the search for the Speedster. In poor health and unable to care for the Hawk, he sent it to me. I was shocked with the gift and cherish it to this day. When the Title to the Golden Hawk came, he said he had found the President of his dreams and is sitting in his garage. I saw him on oxygen shortly before his death, and he told me that he was sending the Speedster to me and knew I would take care of it for my youngest daughter Rachael. This gracious gesture by Dick turned the family upside down. It was long before the ’55 Speedster arrived and Rachael was there to see her car for the first time. She drove it for several days before going back to work, and wanted to take it as a daily driver. She finally agreed with me that she would take it to shows for the time being. Attached are photos of the Speedster arrival, thanks to a very wonderful man in our lives.
    Attached Files
    Curt Devan
    Kirksville, MO

Editor, Mid Missouri Chapter Newsletter "Studie News"
    sigpic

Great story, great cars, both of them. The Speedster looks to be a California built car, having the "President" name on the side along with the Speedster name. From what I was told, only California cars got this because they only had President quarter panels with the trim holes pre drilled and it was easier to add the trim then to weld up the holes.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Thank you for sharing your story

Comment

Congratulations, a really nice car! As a Speedster owner since 1964, I would like to say welcome to our world. For so many reasons driving this car, on a regular basis, should be guarded against. I drove them in the sixties, and then had to restore mine in in seventies, a process not for the faint of heart. Using the car sparingly, but regularly would be my choice. It's kind of like using a set of family heirloom china every day. It can be done but the results are obvious.
        Bill

Comment

Thank you for the information on the Speedster.
          Curt Devan
          Kirksville, MO

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
            Congratulations, a really nice car! As a Speedster owner since 1964, I would like to say welcome to our world. For so many reasons driving this car, on a regular basis, should be guarded against. I drove them in the sixties, and then had to restore mine in in seventies, a process not for the faint of heart. Using the car sparingly, but regularly would be my choice. It's kind of like using a set of family heirloom china every day. It can be done but the results are obvious.
            Bill
            Bill, thanks. I've tried to tell Rachael that,, but she likes to drive the car. Right now she satisfied going to Car Shows.
            Curt Devan
            Kirksville, MO

sigpic

Comment

Beautiful car, great color combination!
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

It's good that you talked her out of making it a daily driver. Parking lot dings from the grocery store lot would not be good.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Great story and congratulations on both cars. Sorry about the loss of your Step Dad. It's great that Rachael has such an interest in the car.
                  Cars like these, that have been in families are special, and it's nice to see your family caring for them. Having two that were my father's, I understand. He wanted my oldest daughter to get one of them (our 1972 Javelin/ AMX), and that is the intention once she has the space to store it and take care of it. Similar to your story, I had to tell her when the time comes, it will be for going to shows and occasional rides, not for daily use.
                  -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
                  1960 Metropolitan Convertible
                  1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                  1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

Working...
                  X