1962 Hawk Power Steering Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Hawk Power Steering Installation

Just a general question "How differently does a Hawk steer with or without power steering". Has anyone installed such in their car and did you notice any appreciable handling difference? I have a complete PS hookup but have not installed it yet. Chet445

IIRC....there were different steering gears (ratios) used between standard vs. PS vehicles. Can't speak directly to Hawks, but it may be true that your car will handle differently if you swap in or out ....... if adding PS and running fat radials, it could be the best of both worlds.....check your parts' manual.....

Comment

I could be wrong (and probably am), but I think, since the power steering since '58 is really an "add on" assist unit, the steering gear (including ratio) is the same P/S or not.
      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

The Steering Gear Ratios ARE the same, Standard to Power EXCEPT: Wagonaires, Convertibles and Avantis.

Hawks "seem to steer" a little quicker, just because of the speed you can easily turn the Wheel.
        They also Track a bit better with less wander due to the Hydraulic Cylinder acting like a Shock Absorber and taking up some of the "Play" in the Steering.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you for the feedback; I will install the PS and feel it will help the steering of the car.

Comment

I installed factory PS on my (ex) 64 Daytona HT a few years ago, it was excellent for driving around town, and parking! On the highway it was nice too, but I thought I lost a little "road feel".

Comment

My '62 has the Bendix power steering and it's great. The only thing I don't like about it is all the hoses that have to constantly move when you steer, and they're a *itch to replace when they break... and they will. I have a power R&P I plan to install at some point in order to get away from all those moving hoses.

My dads '53 has no power steering and it's a bear to steer at slow speed, I gotta say, at 83 he still runs circles around me.

Comment

Chet- Try to get the templates for installing the power steering. I have them, if I can find them, I can make copies for you. P/M me with your mailing address.- Jim

Comment

Have a look at these, probably not for the purist, but have heard they are very good http://www.cumminscars.com/ez-eps

Last edited by Cus63; 03-12-2019, 12:56 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Jim please check P/M.

Comment

Working...
                    X