Maddie and the Golden Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maddie and the Golden Hawk

Madeline or Maddie, my seven year old granddaughter came down from Ankeny, Iowa to visit her Grandpa in Kirksville, MO. That weekend we were going to Memphis, MO for their annual Car Show. This year Madeline wanted to clean the car and win the trophy. I told her it was hard work preparing the car to be judged. She didn’t car, she wanted to clean the car. As the announcement of the awards came close, she was nervous and wondered if she should make a speech when accepting the award. I told her just to say, “Thank you, “and added that not everyone will get a trophy out of the 80 cars shown. She couldn’t believe it when her name was called. She told us that this was a “Mind changing experience, and that she wanted to do this every year.” The trophy never left her side and is now hanging on the wall in her room. I think I created a little monster.
    Attached Files
    Curt Devan
    Kirksville, MO

Editor, Mid Missouri Chapter Newsletter "Studie News"
    sigpic

Congratulations, I hope to do the same to my grandsons.

Comment

Way to go Maddie!!
      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Beautiful car and story....get em started early
        sigpic

Comment

It is great fun with the little kids. Her first time was at age 5, and she would walk around the Hawk with me. I am surprised how much enjoyment she gets from it.
          Curt Devan
          Kirksville, MO

Editor, Mid Missouri Chapter Newsletter "Studie News"
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cdevan View Post
            ...I think I created a little monster.
            AND A LOVELY LITTLE MONSTER SHE IS!

Nice Hawk too!
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I hope you leave it to her...

Comment

I still have my trophies from the 70's hanging on the wall

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	xx.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1725657 Long live Studebakers

Comment

Fantastic story, Curt, and memories to last both of you a lifetime!
                    Mike Davis
                    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

That's awesome!! Congratulations to Maddie, well done!
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Great story! I turned my grandkids into Studebaker addicts last summer. We were out for a drive in Helena MT, and several people snapped pictures, honked and waved. The kids felt like celebritys, and now they really like the car. We also got them kids shirts, from the museum in South Bend, and they love to wear them, and answer questions about "Gramps" car.
                        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

That's awesome, Curt! Those are special times spent with grandchildren and the memories you are creating. Hoping to get my grandson more interested, and eventually his younger sisters.
                          -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
                          1960 Metropolitan Convertible
                          1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                          1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

More kids like that can save the future of Studebaker and the club. perfect day for all.
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

Good. Story, I have grandkids that are somewhat interested but unfortunately not quite that much

On another note, was that 56 Dodge sitting next to you a D500 model? If so that would be a rare Dodge. Mopars are about as rare as Studebakers at a car show

Comment

Working...
                              X