PDA

View Full Version : Design FAIL...

Jeff_H
03-08-2019, 08:23 AM
Got some coffee at the drive through this morning. I've not stopped for over a month. When I get into the office, I note there is a new style of lid on the cup. No flip up tab to open the hole to drink through.

Then I noticed its embossed with arrows that you are supposed to twist it. Yeah sure. The whole lid spins on the rim of the cup and nothing happens. I pulled the lid off to examine it more closely and it initially appeared to be 1 piece w/o a seam. WTF ???

Finally I figured it out it is actually 2 lids nested one over the other with the holes offset so that if you could twist one against the other eventually they align and there you go! There are some molded ribs to keep them from coming apart in normal handling.

Problem 1: Too much friction between inner and outer lid compared to the friction from inner lid to cup so they don't move. At least the sample I got was like that. Even gripping the edges of the 2 lids with it off the cup it was nearly impossible to make them slide against one another. The inner lid has no exposed surface to hold steady while twisting the outer lid so only the friction to the cup is supposed to hold it.

Problem 2: How do you open this 1 handed if you are driving??? Even if it actually worked, you need 2 hands. Not safe for driving in traffic struggling with this. Good grief! I've never spilled coffee driving and opening a normal lid but I could imagine this one resulting in the whole lid coming off the cup and dumping.

Problem 3: This is 2 lids and uses 2x the amount of plastic a normal lid with a flip open tab would use. Environmental FAIL right there.

Here is a link to a PDF brochure from the mfg of these crappy lids:

http://sedapackaging.com/downloads/Seda-TurnNGo.pdf

8E45E
03-08-2019, 08:53 AM
Dumb idea!! The designer of that asinine idea should be shot!

One would think it would cost MORE to produce as it now requires two pieces as opposed to one. I wonder if they tested all fluids that will potentially flow through it for capillary action. More might end up on your lap because of that. (That design only works well for dry powders or granules like salt or sugar containers; not liquids.) And should one not want to drink it all at once, the liquid trapped between the two layers, will get sticky and/or dry, makinge them stick together as if they're glued and impossible to rotate.

Craig

jclary
03-08-2019, 09:50 AM
Ha Ha Ha:lol:...This is one of those funny unexpected topics that makes this stovehuggers portion of our forums so enjoyable!:D When I was in industrial sales, I learned to recognize the tell-tell signs of an engineering student intern. Usually, he/she would call requesting a pickup load of product catalogs. Often, the request for free literature would include a stream of questions you might expect from a 5-year-old, but with less attention paid to the answers.:confused: At some point, you would realize that this person has been given an assignment to mainly keep them busy and out of the way by some engineer who really wasn't dedicated to supervising, or devoting too much time, to an internship program.:(

For this particular cup lid...perhaps the company bought into an "INTERN's PROJECT.":oops::rolleyes:

Jeff_H
03-08-2019, 10:54 AM
liquid will be trapped in between the two layers, it will get sticky

I think this is exactly why I could not twist open the lid. After I finished my coffee, I set the separated lid parts aside until the steam had dried off of them and reassembled it onto the cup. Now dry, the parts will rotate, but not especially easily and still requires 2 hands. The steam from the hot coffee had gotten between the parts making them glue together.

These must cost more to make in not only 2x the materials, but now there are 2 sets of plastic molds to make the parts and then some machine to assemble them too. So, tooling costs and mfg costs are higher as well.

The idea in the brochure that somehow this design keeps the coffee hot longer is laughable. The cup material is likely to have more short term effect on that vs a small hole in the lid. Heat transfer proportional to surface area and all....

Greenstude
03-08-2019, 06:45 PM
That sounds exactly like the lids that Burger King uses here. My tea/coffee group wonders if putting RustCheck or WD40 between the lids would let them turn better. The lids are a really bad idea. But maybe a restaurant got sued by someone not smart enough to use a regular lid.

Milaca
03-08-2019, 09:39 PM
Sounds like something our government is responsible for...just like the stupid gas spouts that were mandated to be on all gas cans beginning in 2009. The "improved" gas can spout was meant to reduce spillage and reduce gas evaporation emissions...yeah, whatever! I've never spilled so much gasoline until using one of these new stupid gas cans! And guess what... all that spilled gasoline evaporated into the air! The results are exactly opposite of the intended purpose.:mad:

Jeff_H
03-09-2019, 10:37 AM
That sounds exactly like the lids that Burger King uses here. My tea/coffee group wonders if putting RustCheck or WD40 between the lids would let them turn better. The lids are a really bad idea. But maybe a restaurant got sued by someone not smart enough to use a regular lid.

It so happens this WAS a Burger King in Fargo, ND so must be a corporate wide supplier change from their prior cup lids. I liked those old ones better than the ones McDonalds uses but these are garbage IMO.