Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auction Market Changing For Collector Cars (link)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction Market Changing For Collector Cars (link)

Interesting article about the collector car auction market.
    Also interesting to read about how the tax code changes change the upper end of that marketplace.

Million-dollar-plus autos are selling less often at auction, at the slowest pace since 2008, when the car insurer Hagerty started tracking this data.

(snippet copy. See link for entire article)

(copy)
    By Rob Sass
    Feb. 28, 2019

Five years ago, the classic car market had just completed a turnaround that left even seasoned observers surprised by its speed. The deep recession that began in 2007 had dealt the same initial blow to vintage car prices that it did to the Dow and to the real estate market.

The downturn erased four or five years’ worth of gains for collectible cars, by many estimates. But by 2014, most had fully recouped their pre-recession values, and the market has maintained an even keel.

There are some signs, however, that the good times may be coming to an end. A mix of factors is at play, including demographics, changes to tax laws and general uncertainty.

For auctions in 2018 and early 2019, the sell-through rate (the percentage of cars meeting reserve and selling) for million-dollar-plus cars has dropped about 20 percent from the previous year, according to Hagerty, a classic-car insurer in Michigan. That’s the lowest rate since Hagerty started tracking the statistic in 2008.

The wealthiest and most discriminating collectors may simply be taking a pass on the current offerings, or “it may be a sign that the savviest collectors are sensing a change in the tone of the market,” said Brian Rabold, vice president for valuation at Hagerty.

If the recent crop of cars isn’t persuading elite collectors to raise their paddles, the question then becomes why aren’t more owners of blue-chip cars selling them?

Cam Ingram, a collector and restorer in North Carolina, pointed to last year’s changes in Section 1031 of the tax code, which had allowed the capital gains tax on a sale to be deferred if the proceeds were used to buy another collectible — artwork, say, or cars.

“One factor that few people are acknowledging at the moment is the effect of the loss of 1031 exchanges,” Mr. Ingram said. “Top collectors were able to strategically play with positions in their collections to avoid realizing taxes on gains. Now they have to be far more disciplined. The change in the law is affecting both supply and demand.”
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

It will be very interesting in 10 years when the last of the Baby Boomers reach the age of retirement. Dad or Grandpa will have paid dearly for that Hemi Cuda (or whatever was their liking) and there will be few(er) who have interest. I'm sure there will be the wealthy that will pay (because they can) for prestigious collector cars like a Duesenberg. And I'm sure there will be at least some teenagers enamored with old cars. But by and large the volume of people interesting in what are considered "lesser" collector cars will likely drop off significantly.

Rather than being concern about capital gains these investments might become write-offs. I'm thinking the market is somewhere in the crest of the upper curve. How broad that curve is and how steep the slope on the back side is remains to be seen. But if the money side of someone's collector car is of concern to them, then yes they have cause for concern. On the other hand if you are financially comfortable with your collector car..., enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by wittsend; 03-04-2019, 07:45 PM.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I feel the biggest affect moving forward is the lack of intrest in general by the younger generation. People know days are more intrested in electronics.

Comment

A Hagerty report I read a few days ago says the Millennials and the Gen X'ers are the ones driving sales in the sub $50K range, which makes sense as they don't have the same disposable income as older folks and they want to drive their cars rather than have them sit in a garage to be stared at. Don't forget that those same Millennials and Gen X'ers are going to be inheriting the wealth of the boomers and pre boomers. They are just going to be older when that wealth transfer occurs because boomers and pre boomers are living longer.

Comment

I guess that I better get a-crackin' on selling my Power Hawk this year eh, Jeff.

Procrastination usually ain't your friend!

(sigh)

Comment

As I understand it and it makes sense. When someone gets into the old car hobby they first and foremost want the number one car that they wanted when young and could never afford or that they could and then either sold it or wrecked it. Most guys 10 years from now that will be at that point will not be looking at a Studebaker, Packard, or 50's chev or Ford.

Comment

Working...
            X