202 m.p.h. in the quarter mile in a Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 202 m.p.h. in the quarter mile in a Studebaker

Don’t laugh if anyone ever tells you that a ’53 Studebaker does not make a fine starting point for a race car. Its great aero is just one of the reasons Ken Ratzloff decided to go with the classic when he decided to build a new race car.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Also 6.85 Seconds in the Quarter is equally as impressive! He learned not to run a Car like his last one, a Brick: '38 Chevy.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

One look at a '53 Studebaker tells you all you need to know about aerodynamics for racing. Lots of people want them for the La Carrera Pan Americana race in Mexico for that very reason. I believe there are more of them running in that race each year than about any other make/model.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I've seen that car in person, at the races. That picture shown (above), the picture is pretty washed out. The cars color is much nicer than what you see in the picture.

Mike

Comment

I saw the car at the Winternationals recently. Fiberglass body, a little shorter than a "real" Studebaker, but the image is there. It's a really neat (and fast) race car and the owner/driver is a nice guy. I wish him continued success.
          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
          '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Not one Studebaker part in that race car.
            Still neat to see it run.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              Not one Studebaker part in that race car.
              Still neat to see it run.
              My thoughts exactly. I love to see any Studebaker bodied car, but the ones with Studebaker engines are the real smile producer. They both keep the name alive and may attract new people.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

"Not one Studebaker part in that race car."

Kinda like NASCAR, yes?

Comment

Opened this expecting to see 'The Black Car' ...... I'm still looking for any info on 'fast Studebakers' in the 1/4 mile. Non stock body/Gasser whatever with a Stude engine and NO blower.

Comment

Richard Poe fills the bill with that...

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                    Opened this expecting to see 'The Black Car' ...... I'm still looking for any info on 'fast Studebakers' in the 1/4 mile. Non stock body/Gasser whatever with a Stude engine and NO blower.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

So far that's what I found, but what numbers? Thanks. That thing launches!

Comment

Lot's of Richard's numbers here:

There is a ton of performance stuff over at the Racing Studebakers forum!

https://www.racingstudebakers.com/foo/index.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So far that's what I found, but what numbers? Thanks. That thing launches!

Jeff

Comment

QUOTE=DEEPNHOCK;1148212]Richard Poe fills the bill with that...[/QUOTE]

Still a little ways out of the 6.85 sec. @ 202 mph. League though?

Mark
                          sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

C'mon... Apples and oranges....
                            If you are going to pull that on me, then I'll call... 326 mph at Bonneville...

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
                            QUOTE=DEEPNHOCK;1148212]Richard Poe fills the bill with that...
                            Still a little ways out of the 6.85 sec. @ 202 mph. League though?

Mark[/QUOTE]

Jeff

Comment

More like apples and coconuts. 780 cubes better go that fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X